Old October 8, 2001, 04:44   #31
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 14:43
Local Date: October 31, 2010
btw SAC, can you explain who you expect us to link to you when you dont link to Apolyton?
Old October 8, 2001, 06:21   #32
SAC
Settler

Local Time: 13:43
...first of all, I'm not interested in having a debate about this issue. I simply noticed this thread and the content of it, and felt the need to make a statement - especially since rumours somehow indicated that some CIV-sites registered could be fakes. That's about it. The specific notice about Apolyton and CIV-Fanatics came only because of the fact that you listed the sites available at the official CIV-site, marking Gothia as "never seen before". Knowing for a fact that I had written Apyloton as well as used the "add a site" option, only disturbed me.

Now, that's up to you how to look at that. Still, my main intention was not - and still isn't - to make a statement about linking possibilities, but to respond to the "fake sites" issue. So, just let's leave it at that, shall we. I have nothing against either Apolyton or CIV-Fanatics - on the contrary. Both these sites inspired me to open the CIV-section at Gothia, for one to make my own improvements of graphics available, and second of all to prepare for the upcoming sequel, CIVILIZATION III.

Opening a CIV-section was also a natural step to take since many SimCity players also dedicate themselves to the CIV-series - and not to forget, the possibility to improve gameplay by replacing orginal items, textfiles and so on with custom made ones. In this part CIV is quite similar to SimCity and therefor make a natural part of Gothia - as mentioned.

With that said, why would I expect Apyloton - or CIV-Fanatics - to put up a link when I haven't done so myself? Well, that was the general idea with my e-mail to both sites. Gothia uses a special Link Exchange system, basically to make it more interesting for the visitors besides providing them with useful information. This means that I requested a specific banner from you in order to put up the link to Apolyton, but since I recieved no reply at all I couldn't proceede.

It's as simple as that. As being a webmaster myself and trying to keep the highest possible quality on all possible levels, I'm certainly aware of the common way to deal with link exchanges. Still, websites sometimes works a bit different from others. As mentioned earlier in my previous posts I often encourage sites that are either new or small to create a banner that can be put up at Gothia. This doesn't automatically means that I demand a link from them to Gothia, and the reasons for that varies. Some sites are built in a certain way that allows little or no space at all for link purposes. Other webmaster are new to the Internet and websites in particular, and doesn't really know how to proceede with link exchanges. According to some of the e-mails I receive, I can tell that this is a fact.

Never the less, this isn't the important thing since I first of all want to see a community that allows room for as much fansites as possible. For game players I feel this is more benefitial than to have access only to two or three websites. And if "larger" sites can allow themselves "to step down" from their thrones and see the opportunities that follows in one way or the other by promoting these other sites, than I think we've come a long way! It's not that unusual that more people gets inspired to contribute with materials of their own - or starts thinking about it - just because of that simple reason...
Old October 8, 2001, 06:39   #33
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 14:43
Quote:
Originally posted by SAC
...first of all, I'm not interested in having a debate about this issue.
I'm sorry, but you cant expect to imply the things that you implied about us and not get an aswer

Quote:
Still, websites sometimes works a bit different from others.
You understand that, but still you made several implications on our attitude towards other site

Quote:
Never the less, this isn't the important thing since I first of all want to see a community that allows room for as much fansites as possible....
And if "larger" sites can allow themselves "to step down" from their thrones and see the opportunities that follows in one way or the other by promoting these other sites, than I think we've come a long way!
Well, such a community exists right here. If you took more time to check Apolyton before you make your observations you would see several smaller sites hosted by Apolyton for free. You would notice lots of time us having notices from other sites on special occasions. But perhaps it's easier to be "disturbed" of other sites not being "humble"....
Old October 8, 2001, 10:14   #34
SAC
Settler

well, we could go on like this forever without reaching anywhere... Lets just say we agree to disagree, shall we?

The discussion referred to fake sites or not, and I guess we finally sorted that issue out...
Old October 8, 2001, 11:31   #35
kittenOFchaos
Prince

Apolyton is a fake fansite...Dan even writes the **** I post too...

Only civfanatics.com is authentic!