Old August 22, 2001, 19:09   #1
Jacobite1688
Spanish Civers
Prince

Local Time: 06:44
Local Date: October 31, 2010
2.42?
Although I have been been quietly working on scenarios for myself for some time now, this is my first post to this board. I worked for months on a 14th Century Europe scenario that I never felt was good enough to send any where. Having gotten frustrated with that one, I noticed that all of the invasion of Roman Britian (Arthurian) scenarios I have seen have not impressed me. (I'm sure I haven't seen 'em all) I now have a beta version of my own. It has new/borowed units, cities, terrain, tech tree, wonders, etc. Carefully researched, it is as accurate as possible. -BUT- it is for 2.42. As I am finishing up the play testing, is any one interested in this? If anyone is, I want to post it before Civ 3 is out.
Old August 22, 2001, 21:17   #2
Jimmywax
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

I will be willing to try it. My_member_is_shown@yahoo.com
Old August 22, 2001, 22:06   #3
Hobbes
Warlord

Local Time: 05:44
I remember the days of 2.42, I actually have a few old scenarios myself.

send it over! thekiwiguy@hotmail.com

"...gays who, because they just NEEDED their orgies..." -Mr. A. Speer
Old August 23, 2001, 18:09   #4
Jacobite1688
Spanish Civers
Prince

Give me week to finish it up and its yours. Yeah, I got your adresses. Look for it next week. I am pretty proud of it.
Old August 23, 2001, 19:33   #5
Grothgar
Prince

Local Time: 12:44
me me me me me me me me me me

Grothgar_1999@yahoo.com

did i sound too desperate???

"You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs but it's amazing how many eggs you can break without making a decent omelette"
Old August 23, 2001, 21:46   #6
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 07:44
I wanna try it too!
please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please

david_schowalter@hotmail.com

i love playing new scenarios!
Old August 25, 2001, 22:13   #7
Masis
Warlord

Local Time: 12:44
Impressed
Quote:
Originally posted by Jacobite1688
Although I have been been quietly working on scenarios for myself for some time now, this is my first post to this board. I worked for months on a 14th Century Europe scenario that I never felt was good enough to send any where. Having gotten frustrated with that one, I noticed that all of the invasion of Roman Britian (Arthurian) scenarios I have seen have not impressed me. (I'm sure I haven't seen 'em all) I now have a beta version of my own. It has new/borowed units, cities, terrain, tech tree, wonders, etc. Carefully researched, it is as accurate as possible. -BUT- it is for 2.42. As I am finishing up the play testing, is any one interested in this? If anyone is, I want to post it before Civ 3 is out.
Interesting, I did not know there were lots of 'Arthurian' scenarios out there...
The Revised FW version I am working on right now should be a vast improvement from its 242 version currently on show at the Apolyton front page.
Post a screenshot of it here, it would be a good thing to see it.
(Note that Britannia was not invaded in one moment, rather their were Saxon contingents based around the south and eastern coasts of the island since the 3rd centuryAD. The Angles eventually moved completly to Britannia and the Jutes and Friesians invaded the south coasts around the mid 5th centuryAD. Britannia was no longer under the jurisdiction of Milan-Ravenna by 410AD)

Did you see the new units Zip in the Age of Arturius thread?

Don't worry about the oncoming Civ3, TOT and Call to Power came out and that did not submerge CivII due to the user friendlyness of it and its ability to create excellent scenarios that will still be played for fun even when a Civ4 comes out!
Old August 26, 2001, 16:36   #8
Hobbes
Warlord

Oooo, the battle of the Arthurian scenarios! Masis vs. Jacobite!

Old August 28, 2001, 02:10   #9
Jacobite1688
Spanish Civers
Prince

Don't worry, I'll have a full bibliography with the final product. Masis, I didn't realize you were working on Arthur as well. I'm new here and never saw your thread. Mine is strict 2.42 - no events, nothing. So, I don't really see it as any threat to yours. However, I have a few more ideas I want to try to add, so it will be a few more days before its done. Here is a shot to raise some excitement: As this is my first "full" scenario, tell me what y'all think! - In this image Saxons and Angles move in towards Mount Badon, (the cursor is on it) while Christian horsemen prepare for a last stand!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	arthur.gif
Views:	168
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	2098  

Last edited by Jacobite1688; August 28, 2001 at 03:22.
Old August 28, 2001, 12:09   #10
Hobbes
Warlord

Nice shot! This looks kick arse, Jaco!
But just one thing: is that desert in Britain?!

Old August 28, 2001, 17:49   #11
Jacobite1688
Spanish Civers
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes
...just one thing: is that desert in Britain?!
Naw, clear land, ya'know; "plains". You are right though, it looks better full-screen, during game play, then it does on this GIF shot.
Old August 28, 2001, 20:18   #12
Hobbes
Warlord

Oh, okay, cool. Yeah, gifs never do screenshots justice... damn lousy gifs....

Old August 29, 2001, 21:38   #13
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 02:44
Hey I thought I needed FW to get scenarios? Can you send me some and tell me how to install them?
Old August 30, 2001, 09:50   #14
Goingonit
Warlord

Please send it to me too. Sounds great.

jbaskin@uts.oise.utoronto.ca
Old August 30, 2001, 17:13   #15
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 08:44
Hey I thought I needed FW to get scenarios?

You need it for FW scenarios. 2.42 handles 2.42 and CiC (minus events and splash screen) scenarios quite well.
Old August 30, 2001, 19:44   #16
Sten Sture
Emperor

Local Time: 04:44
GP - what knucklehead told you that???

Okay, I meant most recent elaborate scenarios...

Get me on the phone sometime when you are downloading a 2.42 scenario and I'll walk you through the install.
Old August 30, 2001, 20:13   #17
Jacobite1688
Spanish Civers
Prince

Three days of Arthur!
Hey folks, my Arthurian "The Lost Island" scenario is all finished, minus the finishing touches. I want to add historical info to the civilopedia and try some stuff I never have done before, like playing with a GIF extractor and such. So, while it is not ready for "release" as such, it is playable. I will try to get it out to y’all who have expressed interest on Friday, so all you Americans can have it for our three-day weekend! Since it is not truly finished, it is my hope that I will get a great deal of feedback and criticisms. I hope to make one more version of the scenario incorporating some of the improvements all of you players think of in the next week or two. Only THEN will I release it.
Old August 31, 2001, 02:19   #18
Jacobite1688
Spanish Civers
Prince

Hi, This is Jacobite1688's Wife.
I just wanted to tell you all that I hope you REALLY enjoy this scenario, because my husband has spent an awful lot of time on it when he could have been in bed with me.

Have a nice night.

-Jacowife

P.S. As I do graphic and Web design, he's trying to talk me into designing units. Perhaps we can get a husband and wife design team going here ... ?
Old September 1, 2001, 20:52   #19
Jacobite1688
Spanish Civers
Prince

Well, everyone who asked about my Arthurian "The Lost Island" scenario should have got the demo version sent to them late last night. I hope this is the case, as it was the first time I attempted to send something like this. If no one got it, let me know. I have been working on it all day and have already made some minor changes. (e.g. weakening the Missionary unit to make it more simmilar to the Barbarian Leader unit. A city name error was fixed as well as some other small stuff.)
Old September 3, 2001, 20:47   #20
Goingonit
Warlord

Well, I have just finished the beginning of your scen, and this is what I have to say about it:

For the first few decades, there is a continuous deficit. There is no way of getting rid of it, as your size-1 cities cannot support a market at a profit and only size 1 cities can be conquered. Try making some notable cities and some interior cities substantially larger. You could even make churches have 0 upkeep. But certainly, Eburacum and Londinium had more population than the outliers, didn't they?

Although the velites are good for the outlying cities, try some pockets of resistance. For instance, this is a King Arthur scenario: have some knights (the Knights of the Round Table) in Eburacum and that will make the start of the game much more interesting, allowing an attempt at defense in one area, although the others will still die.

Overall, speed up gameplay! As this is pretty much an all-military scenario, you should be plunged into the action almost immediately. More units for both Britons and the Barbarians would preserve the balance while making the game much more interesting.

City improvements should be placed sensibly. If certain things are more trouble than they're worth, maybe remove them altogether.

Those are just my suggestions. I hope they help.
Old September 4, 2001, 16:29   #21
Hobbes
Warlord

Okay, some pros and cons and things of interest about the "Lost Island" scenario:

Cons/suggestions-
- I have no bloomin' money!! I loose money far too quickly.
- Units should have higher movement rates, or roads allow more movement.
- make some improved land to speed up gameplay (irrigation, mining, etc), maybe change the 'irrigation' graphic to look british, like a flock of sheep, for example.

Nickpicks (sorry) -

- the plains terrain looks kinda dry for Britain
- I like the mountain terrain that is used in most scenarios nowadays
- more colourful units (like the Christian horseman)!
- one final nitpick: don't like how villages and towns are represented by one house, makes map look underpopulated.

Pros-

- Overall, the graphics are very good!
- I like the ocean graphic
- I don't know much about Arthurian history, but it seems very historical.
- gameplay eventually speeds up.
- like the boarder graphic
- the "Mount Badon" terrain is cool

Pretty damn good scenario so far! I hope my suggestions help!

Old September 5, 2001, 01:33   #22
Jacobite1688
Spanish Civers
Prince

Thanks!
All the suggestions posted were constructive. Sorry if some elements seemed amaturish, but this is my first "serious" scenario. Most of the problems encountered were the same in both posts, (they also match up with my own findings) so I plan to implement ALL suggestions on some level. For example, I will start the scenario with more roads around the cities. This will increase trade and prevent the "road gaps" that result from a city's destruction. Also, while it is thought that few cities had populations above 10,000, I will increase the size of some cities. Thank you again and if anyone else has anything to add, please do so! I'll credit y'all in the read.me and send you finished copies when I submit it.
Old September 5, 2001, 08:49   #23
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 14:44
Re: Thanks!
Quote:
Originally posted by Jacobite1688
[...] Also, while it is thought that few cities had populations above 10,000, I will increase the size of some cities. [...]
Since population was so much smaller, you´d probably better "rescale" the population/citysize ratio to represent the differences better. I guess Londinium was a rather large and thriving city for its time, maybe that could be a size 8 or 10 city or so. You can then adjust city sizes for all other cities accordingly.

P.S. I didn´t play the scenarios obviously, I just saw the screenshot and read the thread. I think I´ll be a lousy playtester, but I look forward to playing the final version.
Old September 5, 2001, 13:30   #24
Goingonit
Warlord

It's too bad you can't use the populations built in to the game. However, Mercator's idea sounds good. Otherwise, lack of money will be a very hard to remedy problem.
Old September 6, 2001, 02:35   #25
Jacobite1688
Spanish Civers
Prince

No Dough!
A major break through occured in the "no loot" problem. I have replaced Despotism with Monarchy and will rename Communism something along the lines of "Mediaeval Monarchy". Under Monarchy, all the Civs start the game making a profit. The white Roman togas have been colored, in keeping with the historical illustrations by Joseph McEwan and Roger Mann. Also, at the sacrafice of historical factors, other changes have (grudgingly) been made. For one, some city improvements have been removed beacuse, yes, they were not worth there cost. I have found that as the scenario moves away from an historical simulation, playability increases quite a bit. That is the goal, of course. I'll keep y'all updated. Suggestions are always still welcome.
Old September 15, 2001, 00:57   #26
Jacobite1688
Spanish Civers
Prince

"Real-life" events have slowed the completion of my scenario. I am now working on re-balancing it, but if it plays as good as it now looks I will be quite proud of it. It will be finished next week, perhaps. Thank you all again for your interest.
Old September 15, 2001, 10:52   #27
Hobbes
Warlord

Jaco,
check this article out:
http://www.civfanatics.com/hist_realism.html

eventhough it mentions events, there is a lot of good advice on how to make a desirable scenario!

Old September 15, 2001, 12:10   #28
Jacobite1688
Spanish Civers
Prince

I saw it when Apolyton put it on the CIV II page. Thanks.
Old September 25, 2001, 00:40   #29
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 02:44
Quote:
Originally posted by Sten Sture
GP - what knucklehead told you that???

Okay, I meant most recent elaborate scenarios...

Get me on the phone sometime when you are downloading a 2.42 scenario and I'll walk you through the install.
Thanks...but I wiped the game off my computer and gave the physical copy away.
Old October 11, 2001, 17:06   #30
Jacobite1688
Spanish Civers
Prince

At Last!
I have been sort of "off" of Civ 2 for a number of reasons the last month, but I have been still improving/testing "The Lost Island". I am now confident that it is an interesting, highly playable scenario. As this was my first scenario, I STILL want input, however, before I call it "finished" and post it. Hobbes and Goingonit, you saw the early version of the scenario and your aid has made the scenario what it is. I am going to send you copies of it and hope to hear your thoughts on the work that has been done, particularly concerning how playable it is (or isn't) now. Anyone else interested?