Old August 23, 2001, 17:36   #31
barefootbadass
Prince

Local Time: 12:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
heh, I can't wait for this game. I first discovered civ2 my freshman year in college when my roommate had it on his crappy laptop. He didn't have the cd though so I had to play it on then crappy laptop with the little finger pad that replaces the mouse. Very aggravating but I got so addicted to that game that I'd often play for like 30 hours at a time.

those were the days
Old August 23, 2001, 19:26   #32
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Local Time: 13:45
Quote:
Originally posted by campmajor!

So that means the game will be no good, according to yin..

Gonna be one hell of a christmas this year!

Yin never said the game will be no good.
If I understand him correctly Yin believes that Civ beginners will like the game, and people who have never quite mastered CivI and CivII will like the game, so Firaxis will make a lot of money.
Only Civ veterans and especially people who always thought Civ is too easy are going to be disappointed, according to Yin.
Yin is totally, utterly right, of course.
Old August 23, 2001, 23:31   #33
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 20:45
No public demo? *sigh*

What's wrong with these people?

"Only Civ veterans and especially people who always thought Civ is too easy are going to be disappointed, according to Yin. "

I'm not sure Civ veterans are going to be disappointed since we are all Civ veterans here. I still have my Civ 1 box around here somewhere.

As for those who always thought Civ is too easy, well, they can always try playing 20 simultaneous chess games while blindfolded and drunk.
Old August 24, 2001, 01:37   #34
genghisvick
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:45
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill3000
Now let's just hope that Civ3 is not another CTP...

You are pretty much guaranteed Civ III is going to be lightyears better then CTP!
Old August 24, 2001, 01:53   #35
genghisvick
Chieftain

Cannot wait for Civ III!!!!
Old August 24, 2001, 01:54   #36
genghisvick
Chieftain

Cannot wait for Civ III!!!!!!
Old August 24, 2001, 02:15   #37
Zanzin
Prince

Local Time: 22:45
Now genghisvick, we're all very excited about Civ3, but spamming ain't cool.
Old August 24, 2001, 03:26   #38
phoenixcager
Call to Power PBEMC4WDG Delian League
Emperor

Hmmm......I hope it's sooner. I'm out of my current job by 1st October. If civ3 is released earlier, maybe I can get a few weeks of playing in before I start my new job
Old August 24, 2001, 05:18   #39
campmajor!
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tribune

If I understand him correctly Yin believes that Civ beginners will like the game, and people who have never quite mastered CivI and CivII will like the game, so Firaxis will make a lot of money.
Only Civ veterans and especially people who always thought Civ is too easy are going to be disappointed, according to Yin.
Well, before he had come to that conclusion, he stated that if civ3 would come out this year it would be full of bugs...
Old August 24, 2001, 05:22   #40
campmajor!
Prince

By the way don't get me wrong: I am not against yin or something, I just think he has premature conclusions sometimes...
Old August 24, 2001, 08:31   #41
Adm.Naismith
King

Quote:
Originally posted by campmajor!
Well, before he had come to that conclusion, he stated that if civ3 would come out this year it would be full of bugs...
Well, it seems we'll know if Yin was a pessimist or a realist in less than three months from now...

Two full months of beta testing should be enough for a large, well organized team of testers (cross finger), but...
Old August 24, 2001, 08:32   #42
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:

We all know Yin's bias... and it is all just a matter of opinion. I've played the game for years, and yes, I think playing against the AI is far too easy now that I know what I know about the game.

But, I will reserve judgement until I have played the game. Anybody that has a locked in opinion now has nothing real to base it on

I look forward to finding out... and I can't wait to buy it
Old August 24, 2001, 12:43   #43
Ralf
King

Quote:
My italics. This statement negates the rest of your reply.

Besides, I dont think Yin's personal opinions about the game is going to budge any sales-figures. Maybe +/- 10 copies perhaps, but thats about it. The only thing that can influence the sale-figures for Civ-3 at this stage, is if Firaxis should repeat the CTP-2 AI-fiasco.

Quote:
If I understand him correctly Yin believes that Civ beginners will like the game, and people who have never quite mastered CivI and CivII will like the game, so Firaxis will make a lot of money. Only Civ veterans and especially people who always thought Civ is too easy are going to be disappointed, according to Yin. Yin is totally, utterly right, of course.
I am a (so called) civ-veteran and by the looks of it, Civ-3 is going to be a stunning game. There are many Apolyton civ-veterans (admittedly, not all) who agree. So much for civ-veteran = being disappointed. Its only a preliminary estimation, of course; I havent played the game yet - but neither have you & Yin.
Besides; it important that Civ-3 becomes a wide-appealing money milking-cow, because this (drastically) increases the chances for any future addons and Civ-4 upgrades. Isnt that obvious?

Last edited by Ralf; August 24, 2001 at 12:49.
Old August 24, 2001, 13:03   #44
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 05:45
Well put Ralf!
Old August 24, 2001, 21:09   #45
Laszlo
Warlord

Local Time: 08:45
Quote:
Originally posted by Yog-Sothoth
This is good news.

To bad I have to wait until december to buy it, or else I fear I will fail my exams
I got CivII as a X-mas present a few years ago, and I played it so much, my mom thought I would fail my finals, so she took it away!!

A week after school ended I thought she wouldn't be too upset if I got it back, but when I asked her about it she said that she had, "hid it somewhere". When I asked where, she said, "in some box I think." Needless to say, I searched every box I could find, and just about everywhere else too, but it was nowhere.

It was two years before we finally found it. It was stuffed behind some old videos on a top shelf of a bookcase (and under a lot of dust).

Anyway, I think I'll have to hold off on getting it until Christmas again this year. That way half my exams will be over...
Old August 26, 2001, 17:19   #46
Bill3000
King

Local Time: 08:45
Quote:
Originally posted by genghisvick
You are pretty much guaranteed Civ III is going to be lightyears better then CTP!
You're right. Forget about what I said - after looking at more info, I WANT IT NOW!
Old August 26, 2001, 19:25   #47
MORON
Prince

Now what we need is to get a beta tester to post here.....
Old August 28, 2001, 00:05   #48
Pashalis
Settler

I reserved my copy of CivIII at EB when the guy told me I couldnt' get a Gamecube...he also told me it's due out either the 15th or 17th of October...I can't remember which.

Peace all;

Pashalis
Old August 28, 2001, 11:35   #49
genghisvick
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
yea. this is an evil ploy by friaxis for me to mess up my PSATS.

i wont be able to get heavily into civ3 until december, after iv'e submitted all my grades/crap to MIT.

MIT! good for you
Old August 28, 2001, 15:41   #50
Zealot
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Solver
Yuhooooooooooooo! I'll play it soon! Yes, I will, despite the resolution thingies.
How did you manage?

Oh well, looks like I'll have to manage myself like when I played Civ2 at my friend's houses when I didn't have CD-Rom yet. Or when I did the same to play SMAC because my CPU was still a 486.

It's nice to have good friends...

But because of the resolution, Civ 3 in my house, only in April 2002!
Old August 31, 2001, 10:06   #51
Deathwalker
Prince

I'm really looking forward to Civ 3, my only disappointments/worries are the number of players :banned: and how hard the game is going to be, CTPII was piss easy.
Old September 1, 2001, 08:02   #52
Aias
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power MultiplayerCall to Power II MultiplayerMac
Warlord

Civ IIIpushed back?
Dear Lord, I hope they're wrong, but on the gongold.com website under the new releases section, they say that Civ III will be pushed back a month! Say it isn't so....I'm teetering on the ledge as we speak!!
Old September 2, 2001, 10:19   #53
Admiral PJ
PtWDG Lux Invicta
Prince

Civ3 sounds great BUT its stupid if they aren't recreating religion properly, which has been one of the biggest influences over human history (for better or worse, though I believe religion can do some good), the apparent Political Correctness reasons for avoiding this issue is absurd.
Maybe culture is related to religion or something, not that i'm a religious fanatic

I'm also annoyed about these reports of the European version coming out weeks if not months later than the US one, I see no reason for this.. with films this is done so that us poor europeans pick up on the hype from the american release and are supposed to buy it in greater numbers later.
It only makes us in england, and the other european countries which may be even worse affected(often coming later) less likely to buy it legally because of frustration having to wait extra weeks on top of the waiting for the development time.

PJ
Old September 2, 2001, 10:34   #54
Admiral PJ
PtWDG Lux Invicta
Prince

wheres all the religion
just to expand on my last message here:
by RELIGION, I see they have a nice abilities section with Religion as one of them (alowing cheaper religious buildings and no anarchy in government ) but I hope they go further, with something like giving you a religious makeup section.
You would on discovering the right techs(monotheism etc) be able to create a national religion , either Christian Protestant/catholic or Islamic, buddhist, confuscianism. These would help you ally with similar religious civs until communism is disovered perhaps (when religion becomes of lower importance).
You could have Gihad religious war alliances and make wars easier against the 'infidels' etc allowing crusades and Papal decree wars (the Pope was a strong force in Europe throught the mediaval /middle ages at the very least)
There would be good things your religions could do , like missionary work perhaps to foreign 'barbarians' perhaps allowing you to convert minor tribes/village hut tiles to your religion and maybe gaining a new city and territory there.

PJ
Old September 2, 2001, 11:39   #55
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 14:45
Re: wheres all the religion
Quote:
Originally posted by Admiral PJ
just to expand on my last message here:
by RELIGION, I see they have a nice abilities section with Religion as one of them (alowing cheaper religious buildings and no anarchy in government ) but I hope they go further, with something like giving you a religious makeup section.
You would on discovering the right techs(monotheism etc) be able to create a national religion , either Christian Protestant/catholic or Islamic, buddhist, confuscianism. These would help you ally with similar religious civs until communism is disovered perhaps (when religion becomes of lower importance).
You could have Gihad religious war alliances and make wars easier against the 'infidels' etc allowing crusades and Papal decree wars (the Pope was a strong force in Europe throught the mediaval /middle ages at the very least)
There would be good things your religions could do , like missionary work perhaps to foreign 'barbarians' perhaps allowing you to convert minor tribes/village hut tiles to your religion and maybe gaining a new city and territory there.

PJ
They couldn't add existing religions because they could came into conflicts.
The only way it could work is to have religions growing among the people depending on events that happens, and depending on how you control them. If you allow them to choose their own religion or if you force the entire civ to have the same religion, and so on. It could have been a great feature, but it is quite big to handle, and the growth of different religions should take to long to develop. Also how different religions would interfere on each other would be hard to make. Still, if I ever make a civ-game I'll try to add religion.
Firaxis has chosen to add Culture, and they can only add one big concept like this so therefor there will be no religion.
Old September 2, 2001, 15:34   #56
Martinus
Prince

Quote:
They couldn't add existing religions because they could came into conflicts.
I have heard this argument raised over and over again, but frankly I don't get it.

WTF, existing religions are not PC, but exisiting nations are.

I mean, what is the reason for Christian-Muslim holy war to be considered a PC no-no, while in the game you can legitimately destroy Iroquis while playing English, Aztec while playing Spanish (oh, maybe that was the reasons for them being removed from Civ3 ) or Babylonians (who represent many semitic cultures of the area) while playing Germans.

If some fundamentalist feels offended, so what? Equally some English nationalist may be offended that English troops in some game have their asses kicked by Zulu impi.
Old September 2, 2001, 15:51   #57
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Some religions don't allow any other religions. They do actually claim that there are no other religions, and that other religions are the evil people, that must be punished. Adding religions to the game would decrease the possible market. It would also be possible that it can make religious leaders to become aggressive if they make the different religions different good.
Civilizations in the game do not forbid other Civilizations to exist in the real world, and they are balanced very well. Before the uniqueness they were exactly the same, now they differ a little.
Old September 4, 2001, 03:40   #58
LaRusso
King

i cannot believe it's gonna be on time. you gotta give them credit for that (hopefully the game IS ready and it's not just publisher's pressure)
Old September 6, 2001, 11:36   #59
The Mad Viking
King

It seems to me culture will work very much like your religion idea, AdmPJ. What's missing is SLAVERY, which remains the critical aspect of human history that is NOT addressed in Civ. (Civ4? )

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind. -Gandhi
Old September 6, 2001, 11:42   #60
Adm.Naismith
King

Quote:
Originally posted by The Mad Viking
It seems to me culture will work very much like your religion idea, AdmPJ. What's missing is SLAVERY, which remains the critical aspect of human history that is NOT addressed in Civ. (Civ4? )
Pull the brakes Mad Viking!

It seems that slavery is gaining a place: last magazine preview spoke about the ability to enslave settlers and workers, and mention side effects on happiness during democracy and republic...
"We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
- Admiral Naismith