Old February 6, 2000, 05:47   #1
Og the no longer cruel
Settler

Local Time: 22:39
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Does anyone get errors when their score is high?
When I try to build up my score late in the game I sometimes have weird problems. I have had runaway random pollution. Pollution begins to appear everywhere, even when every city in the area has mass transit and a solar plant. This only occurs when I have future tech 25 or more.
Also, I have had creaping multi-color junk overflow the map once or twice. Plus, when I get more than 32K of money and capturing another city is what put me over the top, it rolls over to zero or negative numbers. I assume I'm getting array overflows somewhere. Have these been patched anywhere? I don't see how its possible to get scores like those in the hall of fame when these problems occur.

Also, how do I tell which version of Civilization II I have?

Please help, I have 5500 points on deity level at the beginning of 1918 and I'd like to bring it home.
Old February 14, 2000, 08:08   #2
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

You cdan get your version number from the File menu | game options and look at the top of the frame - it gives you your version details.

As you probably know for SP the latest is v2.42 - for FW, CiC & MP the versions are on a thread in the ?Strategy? Forum.

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
Old February 14, 2000, 20:49   #3
finbar
Civilization II MultiplayerMac
Emperor

Local Time: 00:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Haven't had the pollution or multi-coloured junk problem, but the treasury glitch is not uncommon. Somewhere around 30,000 gold there can be a max out, but it doesn't happen all the time. When it has happened, though, I've found it doesn't affect my purchasing power. Somehow, the game seems to know how much I really have in the bank, regardless of what the Status Box shows.

------------------
finbar
Mono Rules!

Old February 16, 2000, 23:54   #4
WhiteKnight
Prince

I've had the money problem before. I think the variable that keeps track of the money is a 16-bit register. Limit would somewhere around 32K gold. Never had the graphics problems. I would check and see if you had the patch or not.
Old February 21, 2000, 08:26   #5
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 00:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I had another funny money problem in designing my latest scenario. I had created some extremely expensive unit. But in stead of costing money, you could rush buy it and you would get money for it!

I don't know about the colors and pollution though. Try building a population of over 320,000,000 there's another overflow case, so beware.
Old June 6, 2000, 09:33   #6
SCG
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
King

Local Time: 17:39
quote:

I have had runaway random pollution. Also, I have had creaping multi-color junk overflow the map once or twice.

That was incredibly common in original Civ - drove me nuts and ended far more games than any AI ever did. My best guess then (and still is) is along the lines of WhiteKnight's response on money (had that prob in Civ I too).

I guess that when Civ II came out, they just increased the memory allotments on those bugs, instead of fully patching them
Old June 10, 2000, 01:35   #7
Mark von Wagner
Prince

Local Time: 17:39
Getting a population over 320,000,000 does not cause any problems. I've never had any problems, but then, I've never reached a score of 10,000 points or more.
Old June 18, 2000, 04:15   #8
chrisuptherams
Settler

I can't get quite that many points, but a decent winning game of mine (1972, 120 million people) gave me minus 364 percent, at about 2500 points.
Gutted. No pollution or anything.
Has anyone else had that problem? Help! What do I do?
[This message has been edited by chrisuptherams (edited June 18, 2000).]
Old June 18, 2000, 04:40   #9
Paul
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 23:39
I assume that you have the original single-player version. That had a problem with negative percentages, but it's fixed in the v2.42 patch. Download the patch at http://apolyton.net/cgi-bin/civ2files/file.pl?id=191