Old August 26, 2001, 14:32   #31
Ilkuul
Prince

Local Time: 12:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Sorry, something went badly wrong here... The above post was supposed to appear in Ralf's thread "Do ALL combat-units need access to resources?" -- please ignore it!

Every time you win, remember: "The first shall be last".
Every time you lose, remember: "The last shall be first".
Old August 27, 2001, 13:13   #32
Ilkuul
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Rhysie

There is a news item somewhere in the civ 3 news section (possibly archived by now?) which has a statement from someone at firaxis about the le including a tin, a manual, a making of civ3 cd, 'and other nice stuff'.
OK, got it! Thanks for that tip, Rhysie. For anyone else who missed this info, EBGames.com (quoted in the ACS Civ3 News section) has the following statement:

"This Special Limited Edition Features:
  • Exclusive Video Chronicling the Making of Civilization III
  • Video Celebrating Sid Meier's Induction into the IDSA Hall of Fame
  • Designer's Notes from Sid Meier and Jeff Briggs
  • Fold-Out Tech Tree
  • Civilization III Game/Manual."
Check it out at EBGames.com.

Every time you win, remember: "The first shall be last".
Every time you lose, remember: "The last shall be first".
Old August 27, 2001, 14:56   #33
CapTVK
Civilization II MultiplayerPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ilkuul

"This Special Limited Edition Features:
  • Exclusive Video Chronicling the Making of Civilization III
  • Video Celebrating Sid Meier's Induction into the IDSA Hall of Fame
  • Designer's Notes from Sid Meier and Jeff Briggs
  • Fold-Out Tech Tree
  • Civilization III Game/Manual."
Check it out at EBGames.com.

Some facts at last, now I just want to know what's included with the standard edition. Printed (and thick) manual? tech tree? Somehow i doubt they can stuff it all in one of those DVD cases. Please note that this DVD case argument is only speculation at this point. But seen the recent developments a standard DVD case seems very likely

P.S

Mister Pleasant
I mostly use public transportion and travel to work on my bicycle. So I save the environment and stay fit the same time, yahoo!

I've done my part, now it's your turn...
Old August 27, 2001, 15:06   #34
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

I don't think everyone is aware that here in North America, we still use big cardboard boxes for all PC games (even if there is nothing but a DVD case inside) And that in Europe (As I am told, correct me if I'm wrong), they package most of their games in nothing but DVD cases, with no cardboard boxes and whatnot.
Old August 27, 2001, 15:23   #35
CapTVK
Civilization II MultiplayerPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
King

Osweld,

There are still plenty of classic boxed games available. But there's a definite shift towards DVD cases. Particulary regarding most of the new releases by the large publishers. These's LE-editions are really just a marketing ploy. In the old days, and I mean the halycon days (80-90) Nearly ALL boxed games came with manuals and extra's (anyone remember Magnetic Scrolls or Infocom?).

P.S
Most cassette games just were sold in a standard case. They took up far less space than a boxed game, meaning more games on display. So from a marketing perspective the argument for a standard DVD-case is quite valid.
Old August 27, 2001, 15:42   #36
isaac brock
Warlord

Local Time: 07:45
Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld
I don't think everyone is aware that here in North America, we still use big cardboard boxes for all PC games (even if there is nothing but a DVD case inside) And that in Europe (As I am told, correct me if I'm wrong), they package most of their games in nothing but DVD cases, with no cardboard boxes and whatnot.
This is true. But North American PC games are supposed to (according to PC Gamer) phase in to DVD-type boxes.

Also, you say "we still use big cardboard boxes for all PC games (even if there is nothing but a DVD case inside)." There is a difference between DVD cases and CD Jewel cases, you know. DVD cases are the bigger ones that you'd see a PS2 game (or a DVD) sold in.

Also, what happens in Europe when a game has a big fat manual with it? Is it strapped onto the back, or stored on a CD?
Old August 27, 2001, 19:32   #37
Rhysie
Warlord

I really hope it comes in a jewel case, not a dvd case. I can't fit dvd cases in my cd rack, and the disks end up doubling up in with others, or they get lost. Even if I get the limited edition I hope it has a jewel case in it, cos I just know that that tin would end up under a pile of papers and not be found for a year or two, and I'd hate the game cd to be in it at the time.
Old August 27, 2001, 20:53   #38
isaac brock
Warlord

there is no reason that you would lose that tin, no matter how obviously retarded you are ( ). The tin will be quite large, bigger than a standard north american box.
Old August 28, 2001, 06:23   #39
Rhysie
Warlord

Isaac, you're obviously an incredibly tidy and organised person. However, humans like myself are not always tidy and organised. I have a lot more stuff than I have space to put it, and this usually results in piles of stuff building up in easily reachable places, and then being moved on top other other piles of stuff when they get too big. The result of this is that I could lose an object as big as a tv quite easily if I didn't use it for a couple of weeks, as it would quickly end up on the bottom of such a pile or beneath other such piles. I think your post was meant to be some kind of joke, but I'm afraid I didn't really get it, it just came through like some feeble insult...
Old August 28, 2001, 07:01   #40
campmajor!
Prince

Local Time: 13:45
Well Rhysie, the solution for your problem is to use the tin box on a regular basis!

So, once bought, throw everything in it you don't use on the pile of going-to-be-lost-things and put some cookies or candy in the box and you will never loose it!
Old August 28, 2001, 07:12   #41
Rhysie
Warlord

Or I'll find the tin a year later and discover a small insect civilization has formed in it on the remains of the biscuits which were still in it when I put a pile of stuff on top
Old August 28, 2001, 09:04   #42
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 23:45
Quote:
Originally posted by Rhysie
Or I'll find the tin a year later and discover a small insect civilization has formed in it on the remains of the biscuits which were still in it when I put a pile of stuff on top
Then you can mark a spot for them to build their first city, and ask them to discover the alphabet!!

Sounds familiar...
Old August 28, 2001, 09:35   #43
Adm.Naismith
King

Local Time: 13:45
Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Then you can mark a spot for them to build their first city, and ask them to discover the alphabet!!

Sounds familiar...
Eh, eh, remember also a good old SF novel: "Microcosmic God", written by Ted Sturgeon
Old August 30, 2001, 10:48   #44
Edward
Warlord

My PlayStation version of Civ2 came in a CD-type jewel case. The only "manual" that came with it was a single fold out poster with the tech tree and a couple of terrain and unit tables. Very cryptic if you hadn't played the game before. I can't say that the online Civilopedia or advisors would be of much help to a newbie.