Old August 25, 2001, 20:03   #31
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 12:46
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The Americans may not have even known of the Iroquois league when the Constitution was drafted... What they did know was the following:

"The Mayflower Compact"
-This included a jury of peers to judge the accused

"House of Burgesses" set up in Jamestown (they could not have known about the Iroquois. The house represented 11 plantation owners)

Roman Republicism

And probably the dutch system, though that is the first I have heard of it.
Old August 25, 2001, 23:23   #32
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 07:46
iroquois are in the game because the game needed more than 2 civs in america.

why they chose the souix over the inca, is beyond me.

although the "Aztec Empire" is probably meant to encompass all civs of the Yukatan Pennuninsula and nearby areas, from the Olmecs, through the Maya, to the Aztec.

thats just a matter of the world map locales.

ever play the world map with the english and celts?
Old August 25, 2001, 23:25   #33
joseph1944

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud
The Americans may not have even known of the Iroquois league when the Constitution was drafted... What they did know was the following:

"The Mayflower Compact"
-This included a jury of peers to judge the accused

"House of Burgesses" set up in Jamestown (they could not have known about the Iroquois. The house represented 11 plantation owners)

Roman Republicism

And probably the dutch system, though that is the first I have heard of it.
The Mayflower landed Nov. 21, 1620. The Constitution was writen in 1776 (A hundred and fifty six years later), how could they not know of the league when the league help the English defeat the French in the French and Indian war?

Old August 26, 2001, 03:31   #34
lupusmalus
Settler

The Iroquois are in the game so that you can play on a map of Earth and immediately throw the Americans into the sea as they should have done in real history!!! Which on its own is already a more than good enough reason for me

And even though they didn't they held the balance of power between the English and the French for over a century and effectively slowed down the westward spread of the Whites. I have nothing to add concerning their cultural and constitutional achievements but you can be damned sure the framers of the US constitution knew of their league!

Last edited by lupusmalus; August 26, 2001 at 06:10.
Old August 26, 2001, 06:06   #35
Jusbaummer
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:46
Yes, I'm sure Iroquois are in the game just for geographical reasons, but North America already has Americans, Middle America has Aztecs, but what does South have? Incas? No. But that's what they should have.
Why are Spanish out? Because Europe is full.
Why are Zulus in? So that Africa would have somebody.

It's all about geography and also, different cultures too. And culture could be the reason why Iroquois are in and Incas out.
Old August 26, 2001, 16:38   #36
Melios
Chieftain

Thanks to the editing tools, we could make any Civilization they didn't put in.

Personally, I would've vouched for Navajo or Anasazi over Iroquois but it doesn't really matter. One could custom generate a Navajo or Anasazi tribe with those tools Civ3 is providing..
Old August 27, 2001, 08:52   #37
joseph1944

Quote:
Originally posted by Jusbaummer

Why are Zulus in? So that Africa would have somebody.
Egypt is in Africa.

Old August 27, 2001, 14:49   #38
Christantine The Great
Prince

But not in south Africa. Just about all of the civs have a "counter" to stop them from expanding like crazy on their home continent.
Old August 27, 2001, 17:35   #39
lupusmalus
Settler

Just that the Egyptians have never been any good in stopping the Zulus. And quite frequently I had to stop them from overrunning ALL of Eurasia and Africa...Firaxis, this time no sparring partner civs please!!!
Old August 27, 2001, 21:44   #40
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 08:46
Quote:
But not in south Africa. Just about all of the civs have a "counter" to stop them from expanding like crazy on their home continent.
Except that the Aztecs can run over South America.

I wish Firaxis would have put the Inca's in, instead of the Iroquois. It would have given the Americans, Aztecs, and Incas room to grow before they met. Americans, Iriquois, Aztecs means that the Americans and Iriquois will destroy each other on the World Map, while the Aztecs run off with the spoils (with all of South America, uncontested to boot... unless they totally screw up and allow the Zulus to sail over).
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)