Old August 22, 2000, 19:53   #1
debeest
Prince

Local Time: 15:52
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Gnp
This pales in comparison to Oedo's recent discovery about revolution dates, but it is something that I don't think anyone else has noted yet. The F11 key gives data on "GNP." I've long been curious as to exactly what it represents, and now I believe I've figured out how it's calculated, and it's pretty simple. "GNP" = (gold + (2 x luxuries)) per turn, times $1M. (The purple civilization always has an outrageously inflated GNP which I'm told is just a bug.) I haven't tested this out thoroughly, so please let me know if I'm wrong.
Old August 23, 2000, 07:49   #2
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 19:52
debeest - close, but not quite. I loaded up three old games, with the following results (no luxuries nor elvii in any of the games):

Game 1: 39 gold income, 3 gold expenses. GNP = $43 million.

Game 2: 20 gold income, 13 gold expenses. GNP = $34 million.

Game 3: 7 gold income, 0 expenses. GNP = $11 million.
Old August 23, 2000, 09:25   #3
Ribannah
Queen

Local Time: 00:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
GNP is probably based on total trade. Try changing science percentages etc.

- Rib -

------------------
If you have no feet, don't walk on fire
Old August 24, 2000, 00:29   #4
debeest
Prince

DaveV, I read your message with disappointment, loaded up another old game, and found a discrepancy much like what you cite. Rats! Then I loaded up about 15-20 more old games, and in every case, the GNP was exactly $1M x ((luxuries x 2) + tax). So I went back and checked the game that had looked wrong, and lo and behold, there were two Elvii that exactly accounted for the discrepancy. So I would bet that in the three games you checked, there are actually 2, 7, and 2 luxuries somewhere, respectively. The formula held up in small, medium, and large games, and at early and middle stages of the game (I didn't check any really late games, because I've mostly played ICS and I didn't feel like totting up the luxuries for 50-100 cities).
Old February 12, 2001, 16:40   #5
debeest
Prince

I haven't been playing much lately, but now I've started a new game, and I happened to check in on the GNP. $51 million. Checked my economic adviser. 45 gp per turn. Hmmm. Didn't think I had any luxuries, but lo and behold. One Elvis with a market place, producing three luxuries. My formula appears to be correct.
Old February 12, 2001, 19:06   #6
Chaos Warrior

The incredibly high GNP of pruple civs is indeed a bug, which is fixed in MGE though... it's not in FW, however

and I think it is in TOT (fixed, that is)

Old February 12, 2001, 19:34   #7
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

its not fixed in MGE.... but then i usually play as the mongols so i dont notice it as much.. in calculating gnp make sure to include corruption
Old February 12, 2001, 20:09   #8
Chaos Warrior

I thought it is fixed in MGE... OK, my mistake... I'm sure it#s fixed in TOT though.

Old February 13, 2001, 23:55   #9
debeest
Prince

War4ever -- nope, it's truly a simple formula, and corruption isn't part of it.

[income + (2 x luxuries)] per turn

Income is from the bottom of the economic adviser screen (F5). I don't think luxuries are totaled anywhere; you'd have to scroll through all the city screens one by one and add them up, but now you don't have to .
Old February 14, 2001, 10:52   #10
Winston
Emperor

Local Time: 01:52
Nice observation, deebest. Amazing the secrets this game holds after so many cumulated hours of playing. Well, one more secret down...
Old February 17, 2001, 10:16   #11
Roman
King

Local Time: 23:52
Good job, I have always been wondering how GNP and other statistics are derived in CivII.
Old February 18, 2001, 01:09   #12
jcarkey
Warlord

Local Time: 17:52
Now if you could only find the formulas for the other stats...

------------------
If someone doesn't agree with you, you haven't explained yourself well enough-Luther Ely Smith

She turned me into a newt...well I got better- Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

How many boards could the Mongols horde, if the Mongol hordes got bored?- jcarkey
Old February 18, 2001, 15:56   #13
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

so corruption isnt included? Ok does this hold true then if you have corruption that is no longer? ie.... couthouse therefore three old corruption squares now become good trade......

Sorry, i can't think straight.... that looks dreadfull

Basically i am asking if corruption is considered a trade arrow in some round about way

ok i need to go now .......
Old February 19, 2001, 11:24   #14
La Fayette
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 00:52
Congratulations, debeest.
All new findings about this tricky game are welcome.
Go on testing! I'm sure that the SGs and ST will back you too!
(What about a Tester's Club? Xin YU for president? No ballots allowed from Florida?)

------------------
aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental
Old February 20, 2001, 20:38   #15
debeest
Prince

War4ever -- yes, if your courthouse frees up corruption arrows to become trade, then the increased trade will generally mean more tax income, in which case your GNP will increase a bit.
Old February 23, 2001, 17:45   #16
Blaupanzer
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 19:52
To expand, corruption limits income and thus both taxes and luxuries. The GNP formula only considers trade and luxury arrows that actually appear on the city screens, not any "potential income" that is lost to corruption. All science income is apparently regarded as research, since it is not considered in the GNP formula.

These formulae (for the demographics screen) were all included in one or the other of the two strategy books that came out at the same time as the game, all those many years ago. I would think Ming, or the Scouse Gits, or some of the other old-timers would have those. Maybe it's more fun to rederive them anyway. Good work, debeest.