Old August 25, 2001, 02:30   #1
Dictatress
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:47
Local Date: October 31, 2010
units and formations
In CTP I used to build an army of 120 tanks and blast my enemies to pieces. In Civ II I realized it would be impossible because of the sheer difficulty of moving 120+ units. Is there any way to lock several units into an army group? Is there a way to order a unit to move to a tile? I've also noticed that when directed to a distant city from a peninsula, my tanks reach the shore and begin dashing around in a circle. Is there a way around this, or will I have to grin and bear it?

Thanks in advance.
Old August 25, 2001, 11:17   #2
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

There are no armies in civ2 you have to move each unit seperately. You can use the go to command, but as you've already discovered, it sucks. if you hold down the mouse cursor over a tile several spaces away from your unit, the unit will go to that spot, but beware, the unit might not go the way you think it should. If there was ever any reason to have a small army, the fact that I had to move each unit seperately was the best.
Old August 25, 2001, 15:15   #3
Dictatress
Chieftain

H Tower, would that be the right mouse button or the left? Ah well, a few tiles away is better than tile by tile. But if it doesn't go the right way that's not a good decision... I'll just have to grin (or not, which is more likely) and bear it.
Old August 25, 2001, 18:15   #4
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

The right mouse button
the subject says it all. but just in case, i'm pretty sure its the right mouse button for go-to command. i turn on fast piece slide and move each unit one space at a time, i don't risk my units to the computer to decide. be especially careful where the map coordinates switch from a high number to 0. its either the international dateline or the prme meridian or something. the computer will want to go all the way around the world to get to where its supposed to go.
Old August 25, 2001, 20:20   #5
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 12:47
You could also go to the toolbar and find the shortcut to the "go-to command" I think it is "G".
Old August 26, 2001, 21:07   #6
Dictatress
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud
You could also go to the toolbar and find the shortcut to the "go-to command" I think it is "G".
I use that occasionally, but it only tells the unit to go to a city.

I have another unit question, and a question which in my opinion is not worth a whole new thread.

Why does the pikemen unit have an asterisk beside his defense value ( 1/2*/1) in the city production list?

And

Why are some advance names in the Science Advisor screen in blue and others in white?
Old August 26, 2001, 21:16   #7
H Tower

Quote:
Originally posted by Dictatress
I have another unit question, and a question which in my opinion is not worth a whole new thread.

Why does the pikemen unit have an asterisk beside his defense value ( 1/2*/1) in the city production list?
that's because the units defense is multiplied by 2 against units that have more than one movement point.

Quote:
Why are some advance names in the Science Advisor screen in blue and others in white?
I have no idea
Old August 27, 2001, 06:21   #8
reds4ever
Prince

Local Time: 13:47
a pikeman has an asterix, because it's defence is multiplied by 2 against mounted attack not against units with two movement points
Old August 27, 2001, 06:35   #9
reds4ever
Prince

a pikeman has an asterix, because it's defence is multiplied by 2 against mounted attack not against units with two movement points
Old August 27, 2001, 06:38   #10
reds4ever
Prince

oops! sorry, BTW the techs in blue are the one you either started with or researched yourself, the white ones are those you were given by other Civs or got out of huts
Old August 27, 2001, 06:42   #11
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 08:47
Close, but no cigar. Pikeman have 3 defense (1.5x bonus) against units with 2 moves and 1 hitpoint (i.e. horsemen, chariots, elephants, knights, crusaders). White techs on your science page are ones you discovered first; white techs on foreign science pages (after you've established an embassy) are techs you don't have.