Old August 26, 2001, 04:55   #1
jjgarcia
Settler

Local Time: 20:49
Local Date: October 31, 2010
getting ahead in the SP race!
I'd like to share a strategy i've learned while playing SMAC. If you want to get ahead in the SP race, here is the tip:
Note: When i use this strategy, (as the UNIV) i am always the most powerful faction.
a) first make pact or friends with the 2nd most powerful faction or the faction you are most comfortable with. In my case I choose Gaians or Peace.
b) make war with the most irritable or the most closest threat. I usually choose to fight with the Believers or the Hive.
c) The 2nd most powerful faction almost always builds the same SP and is the most competent to challenge your power in building.
d) Try to capture a number of bases from your mortal enemy and keep them existing within your control.
e) When the 2nd mp faction tries to or is nearing completion in building the SP you are also working on or the one you are planning to work on, try to exchange bases with the faction, getting the base where the SP is being built in exchange for one of the bases you have captured.

Through this you are able to hinder the completion of the SP, giving you time to catch up on your building. Do this everytime you don't want other factions to get the SP.

Extra: If you do not want the base you had exchanged for, give it away as a gift, back to the original owner or to a friend faction you want to strengthen ties with.
Old August 26, 2001, 06:11   #2
bondetamp
Prince

Local Time: 14:49
But...but...but...

Isn't it a bit, ahem, ungentlemanly to use the AI's screwed up perception of relative base value like that?

I mean, it will obviously work fabulously, but it is just as easy, in my opinion, then, (If you can't tell, I'm a great fan of random and plenty punctuation ) to switch bases with the AI after the SP has already been completed.

(not that I would ever dream of doing anything like that, of course )
The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
-H. L. Mencken
Old August 26, 2001, 09:35   #3
Avenoct
Prince

Local Time: 07:49
The swap-base bug was eliminated in later patches of the game. Try finding one of them to cure yourself of this happiness.

-Smack
Old August 26, 2001, 10:36   #4
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Really?? I have SMAX version 2 and the first (and only ) time I tried this trick it worked. I traded a just conquered and worthless base with my allies the Consciousness. It had two juicy SPs in it.
Old August 26, 2001, 13:34   #5
Avenoct
Prince

I purposely didn't indicate which version eliminates this bug, as I'm playing on a mac, which is in version 1.5. I do recall a thread a month ago referring to this topic and someone mentioned that yes, the latest patch for PC eliminates this bug as well.

In my experience with Mac 1.5, the AI won't trade bases unless the base I'm offerring is significantly better than the base I'm asking for. So what's the latest patch for PC?

-Smack
Old August 27, 2001, 13:52   #6
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Well (as far as I know at least ) there is only one patch erm enhancement for Alien Crossfire and I've got it. It could be of course that Firaxis spent more time on the Mac patches than on the poor PC users. How dare they?!?
Old August 27, 2001, 17:28   #7
DilithiumDad
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III PBEM
Prince

The swap base bug was patched in about version 3, which is included in SMAX. The patch actually goes a little TOO far I thin. The AI will not trade an inferior base for a superior one, which is irritating. I have never seen willingness to do crazy trades in SMAX except with surrendered submissives.
Old August 28, 2001, 02:33   #8
Ned
King

Local Time: 04:49
I am running SMACX v2.0 on a PC. I often swap bases with an AI b/c I sometimes error in giving bases to the AI and need to get one of my good bases back in exchange for the base I really wanted to give the AI. This is not cheating in my view.

There are times, though, that the AI simply will not swap unless the base you offer is in its view equivalent.

This said, swapping bases may be a way to help an ally by letting you take over a base in harms way. So there is a role for the swap base function is not tantamount to a cheat.

Ned
Old August 28, 2001, 03:57   #9
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 05:49
I am no expert on base-swapping because I do consider it a cheat, but according to zsozso's infamous bug thread, the PC patch for the base swap bug was spectacularly unsuccessful. In early versions the AI apparently took almost any trade. Post patch it seems the AI will only take an inferior base never one that is better.

The "build all the SPs challenge" is a good one for honing your skills in this regard. It seems to get easier as time goes by; the first 10 or so are the toughest. I lucked into three early rocky mineral bonus squares which made all the difference. Once you have the EG things get easier and after crawlers it is easier still with the only things you really have to do is make sure you have the tech lead or parity and that you can beat back any military attack.