Old February 26, 2001, 20:48   #1
granite00
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:52
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Inconsistent AI
We all know the AI isn't too smart sometimes.

Examples: (1) some AI cities build a railroad on every single square, but fail to irrigate. (2) other AI cities irrigate, but build very few roads, thus foresaking trade.

My question is: why is the AI so inconsistent? Is there a way to correct this?
Old February 27, 2001, 07:25   #2
finbar
Civilization II MultiplayerMac
Emperor

Local Time: 01:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
We're stuck with what was programmed. Why do they hurl warriors at walled units they cannot possibly beat? Over and over and over? There was obviously a limit to the complexity of the programming.

------------------
Founder, ACS Pedantry Institute
Founder, ACS Gourmet Recipe Exchange
Troll & Hydey Wrangler
Mono Rules!
Old February 27, 2001, 19:08   #3
finbar
Civilization II MultiplayerMac
Emperor

Local Time: 01:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Edward, I think everyone's hoping for a smarter AI in Civ 3. Trouble is, it will only ever be programmed software. It will never be able to make the sorts of judgements and decisions we make.

BTW, the AI doesn't even need a water source to irrigate. They can irrigate deserts a million miles from the nearest puddle.

------------------
Founder, ACS Pedantry Institute
Founder, ACS Gourmet Recipe Exchange
Troll & Hydey Wrangler
Mono Rules!
Old February 27, 2001, 20:23   #4
debeest
Prince

Local Time: 15:52
I've seen before the claim that Edward makes here, about settler-free improvements. I wonder, how has this been verified? Certainly the AI can cheat in many ways, but can anyone truly confirm that it improves its land magically? I mean, I do see AI settlers doing improvements.
Old February 27, 2001, 20:23   #5
Juggler_Bob
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:52
quote:

Originally posted by finbar on 02-27-2001 06:08 PM

BTW, the AI doesn't even need a water source to irrigate. They can irrigate deserts a million miles from the nearest puddle.

I seem to recall that you can do this as a player, too, by automating a settler somehow. I think its talked about in the Cheats thread...

On to AI in general, I can't imagine the difficulties involved with coding a credible AI for a game as complex as Civilization (whatever version). What I am hoping for with Civ III is some degree of modularization, in which the player can automate certain portions of the game (beyond settlers) like trade/diplomacy, defense, and city management. These same modules could then be simultaneously be put to work for the AI Civs, with the nature of each AI Civ determining which modules get precedence.

If done competently (or rather, brilliantly), the resulting AI Civs would be unique, and not suffer the herd mentality of the Civ II AI's. So what if the player Civ is Supreme, there are still many benefits for dealing with them for the AI Civ, depending on its priorities (say trade, or defense).

We shall have to see.

-Bob

Old February 28, 2001, 01:57   #6
Edward
Warlord

Local Time: 18:52
granite00,

I'm not sure what's causing the inconsistency. I do know that the AI doesn't need a settler to make these improvements. They just happen over time when the game thinks enough time has passed for them to be built.

finbar,
I am hoping for a smarter AI in Civ3. In particular one that is more aggressive and persistent at expanding and one that gathers together at least 6 or so units before sending them into battle.

I hope that Civ3 has a much needed overhaul of the AI to make it smarter. What I fear we'll get in Civ 3 is new graphics, new units, new techs, and new wonders - none of which we need.
Old February 28, 2001, 06:37   #7
Simpson II
Prince

Local Time: 23:52
debeest,

There's a thread over in creation about this. Apparently if you use an obscur bug to switch to playing the barbarians, then build improvements, an irrigated, roaded square pops up somewhere in the city radius. Presumably this an AI cheat.

But it definitely does it's own improvements, too. Otherwise it wouldn't end up with half it's squares roaded, and the other half irrigated.

Bob,

What you describe is sort-of implemented in CivII. In the city screen click on the 'auto' button; it will ask you if you want to turn over control of the city to the domestic advisor, military advisor, or both. This seems to correspond to the AI settings of peaceful, aggressive and neutral, which are set in one of the .txt files. IIRC, all units can be automated, too, though I don't think there are any options involved.

I don't hold out too much hope for the CivIII AI. We'll see massed attacks - you get those in SMAC - but they'll probably just add more cheats to substitute for decent economics.

[This message has been edited by Simpson II (edited February 28, 2001).]
Old February 28, 2001, 12:35   #8
Blaupanzer
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 19:52
Automate a settler in an undeveloped area with a city. He will irrigate, based on the city as an irrigated square. His priorities for improvements will be based on the background civ characteristics of the civ you started with (whatever you chose to name it). These civilization characteristics can be reset at the beginning of the particular game.

I've never noticed "magic" improvements by the AI. However, his settlers and engineers do seem faster than mine (on deity especially).