Old August 26, 2001, 13:00   #1
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

Local Time: 12:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Hi I'm Lancer, you might remember me from such classics as 'The First Ever Civ 3...
...Championship' and 'One Resourse + One Shield = One Production' -or something like that.

Anyhoo, I'm thinking of setting up an inter forum Civ 3 Championship, and using my upcoming Solver interview to announce it. I think that most people will be posting in the Civ 3 forum and OT, and there will likely be forums w/ nobody representing. These forums could be adopted by posters from other forums much as a politician will adopt a new state with an empty seat in the US.

First of all, I need to know if you think it's a good idea, if not I'll nix it. Alot of people from Civ 3 jumped in w/ 'The First Ever Civ 3 Championship' (the gig w/ the Indian Head Nickel of Fate deciding the winner) so I was wondering if you were up for the real thing?

Interested? Thoughts?
Old August 26, 2001, 13:07   #2
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 07:50
you mean like civ3 fourm daemons vs OT scum?

i think theres too many fence sitters, but hell, give it a try
Old August 26, 2001, 15:13   #3
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 05:50
Well since I won the 'The First Ever Civ 3 Championship,' - Thanks to your good old Indian head nickel Lancer ... Sure, I'm game - after all, shouldn't the Champion step up to meet his challengers?!

Signed,

Wittlich
Indian Head Nickel Civ3 Champion
Old August 26, 2001, 15:55   #4
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 13:50
Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
OT scum?
Hey, try the OT before you knock it!

How did you get an interview out of Solver? Offering favours and Filipino brides or something

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old August 26, 2001, 16:58   #5
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 08:50
Naw, Rich... I think it is piss AH off (who you'll remember was clamoring for an interview).
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old August 26, 2001, 18:02   #6
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

I asked Solver that very question, why me?
He said I was exactly what he was looking for, because I had posted in the thread in the Apolyton forum that I was OT only (this is my first tentative venture out in months ) and still interested in Civ 3 and playing Civ 2. Also, Eli had turned it down.

If he had replied to my email with a reason like 'it was to piss off AH', I would have passed too. His reason is a good one, I'm what he's looking for.

Regarding fixing him up w/ one of my wife's cousins to marry, well that's just coincedence...

I don't know the fella well enough anyway yet. Provost Harrison I know a bit better, and besides being a Brit, he's ok. Sort of...

Wittlich, UberKrux, thanks for your interest. I guess your fellow forumers should agree, or vote, or whatever. Pick amungst yourselves.

One question though...how many humans can we have in a game? It would be cool if we could do three teams of two from each forum...

Anyone have any ideas on how we should run this thing please speak up, thanks.
Old August 26, 2001, 18:03   #7
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

first of all... what the hell is it?
can i have an explanation
Old August 26, 2001, 19:54   #8
Lancer
Deity

dainbramaged, I figure a couple or maybe three people on a side from each forum playing elimination Civ 3. Last forum standing wins. If the forum you're from is taken, pick one where nobody posts anymore, represent that forum. I suggest the busy forums work it out as to who they want to represent them.

Unless someone has a better idea.
Old August 26, 2001, 22:08   #9
TechWins
King

So this is like an Internet MP game that we will play once to see who is the best civ player out of the best civ players? You represent one forum? I don't really understand still sorry. Whatever it is, though, I'm interested.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old August 26, 2001, 22:50   #10
Lancer
Deity

Yes, internet MP game, teams though. Two people from one forum play in one game vs two other teams from two other forums. Team victory. Will Civ 3 allow us to do this, that's the question. A forum is like a team, people would be playing for their forum, team victory.
Though I hope to be in on it, I doubt I'm one of the the best choices from the OT. I love the Civ games, but am I one of the greats? In my dreams... Maybe I'll just run it, haven't broken wind of this idea in the OT yet. The Civ 3 forum seemed the best place to use as a sounding board for a Civ 3 tourny.

Maybe I'll try to get in by playing as a player from an unrepresented forum, if there is one. The OT should have the best possible. We have Ming, rah and AH. I know these people MP Civ 2 all the time, they might be the best choices, there might be more.

For now, just looking to firm up ideas. For one, I need to know how many humans can be involved in an MP game? Can't form teams until we know how big they can be, can't schedule games until we know how many teams can play in one game. I'd love to see three teams of two players, but can Civ three handle six humans?

We have time, I need ideas from the idea people in these forums. Help make this a reality if you are interested, thanks.

Wittlich must be unseated!
Old August 27, 2001, 07:44   #11
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancer
Wittlich must be unseated!

Well, hopefully Civ3 will allow the game to be setup with 3 teams (6 humans), and 1 AI - making it a full game of 7 players plus the barbarian factor. Firaxis, can Civ3 handle 6 humans plus the 1 AI?
Old August 27, 2001, 18:58   #12
TechWins
King

Since there can be one human player and up to 7 AI (before editing) in SP I would think that you could play with 8 human players in MP.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old August 28, 2001, 00:49   #13
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 22:50
That's A damn lie Imran
Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
(who you'll remember was clamoring for an interview).

I got an interview because a bunch of people asked for it.

And Lancer, I don't mind you getting an interview on my coat tails but WHEN are you going to stop telling lies about the Karen Mills thing

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old August 28, 2001, 01:33   #14
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
If saying that helps you sleep at night, go right ahead .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old August 28, 2001, 01:50   #15
Alexander's Horse
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Quote:
If saying that helps you sleep at night, go right ahead .
stop being an arsehole imran - oh yeah, you can't.

Old August 28, 2001, 07:57   #16
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander's Horse

clash of the titans (dieties)

lancer, im interested, but i hardly think im good enough.
so sign me up but i doubt id get in
Old August 28, 2001, 16:52   #17
Lancer
Deity

Deep regrets to the folks in the Civ 3 forum.
I didn't mean to bring OT BS into this forum. Now, let's get down to business.

Wittlich, is there anyone we can ask about the multiplayer possibilities? That would get us much closer to setting up teams and schedules.

Regarding this forum, I'm encouraged by the level of response and welcome given to a poster who doesn't post here that much. It's much appreciated, thank you all.

dainbramaged, glad to have you on board. There's lots of forums that might not be represented, so you and I have hope of getting in. One thing, it will be Civ, but it will also be new in many ways to all our experts. Maybe a chance to raise our games, pick up a few tricks, and maybe pick off an expert or two? Who knows...maybe the next headline will read 'dainbramaged conquers Apolyton'

Nothing ventured...
Old August 28, 2001, 17:12   #18
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Re: Deep regrets to the folks in the Civ 3 forum.
Quote:
Wittlich, is there anyone we can ask about the multiplayer possibilities? That would get us much closer to setting up teams and schedules.
Good question Lancer. If you've noticed, there is another thread asking the type of questions needed - basically "what can we expect from the Multiplay side of CIV3," however Firaxis has, so far, been tight-lipped about revealing too much information.

I would hope that we can have an 8-player game (4 teams), but if the maximum number of human players in a game ends up being 7, then I believe we have to go with setting up a 6-player (3 teams) game with an AI thrown in for good measure.

However, given the amount of processing expected to be involved in this game, the maximum number of human players might be only 4. If this ends up being the case, then we could only have 2 teams - which would make this "Apolyton Championship" rather long...but it could still be doable.

So Firaxis, what is the maximum number of human players allowed in a CIV3 game? If we know this in advance, we could at least start drawing up the list of players wishing to participate in the Championship and start hashing out the ground rules.

Last edited by Wittlich; August 29, 2001 at 19:43.
Old August 28, 2001, 17:22   #19
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

I have sent an Email to Kelley Gilmore, Firaxis Games Communications Manager. Hopefully she will be able to lend some light to the number of human players allowable in a given CIV3 game. *keeps fingers crossed*
Old August 28, 2001, 17:23   #20
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:

What a great response, Horsie. I bet you want to be attributed for another News Item that really doesn't have much to do with you .
Old August 28, 2001, 20:17   #21
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 07:50
Although I am supposedly the 2nd best Civ3 player according to the all knowing IHN, I doubt I play Civ efficiently enough to win against other people! I'm better at having fun with the AI and making scenarios, thank you wery much...
Old August 28, 2001, 20:20   #22
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

So Cyclotron7, is that a yes to you throwing your "hat" into the ring?
Old August 29, 2001, 05:28   #23
Alexander's Horse
Deity

Re: Deep regrets to the folks in the Civ 3 forum.
Quote:

I didn't mean to bring OT BS into this forum. Now, let's get down to business.
What's BS is you trying to organise something like this - you have no multiplayer cred at all - we have NEVER seen you on the civ 2 MP forum.

Old August 29, 2001, 18:01   #24
Lancer
Deity

Wittlich, that's great! I appreciate you're getting into this as you have and emailing the powers that be regarding multiplayer.

Four teams of two! That's a thought. However in Civ 2 there was a limit of 4 human players for multiplayer, do you think that's gone in Civ 3?

cyclotron7, as AH here has so kindly pointed out, my experience in multiplayer Civ 2 is limited and back a ways. That hasn't stopped me...why not join us?
Old August 29, 2001, 22:12   #25
Alexander's Horse
Deity

4 Player limit?
Quote:

However in Civ 2 there was a limit of 4 human players for multiplayer
Really? Where do you get this crap from Lancer?

Old August 29, 2001, 22:26   #26
TechWins
King

How would it be decided on who gets to represent each forum? What would be the rules when we played? Level? Barbarian activitiy? Map size? Etc...?

BtW, AH were you born a jackass or did you just develop that trait over time?
Old August 29, 2001, 22:55   #27
Lancer
Deity

Glad to see your interest AH. :)
Got some news regarding how many human Civs?
Old August 29, 2001, 22:58   #28
Lancer
Deity

Techwins, you have suggestions? All that stuff is up in the air. I'll only make a final decision as the originator of the idea if there is disageement. Right now any input on such details would be a help.

I'm used to diety, is that ok or should we lower it a bit since it's a new game?

Last edited by Lancer; August 30, 2001 at 03:47.
Old August 30, 2001, 14:11   #29
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Settings
IMO, since no one has played CIV3 yet (and no one knows what to expect), we should set the difficulty on "medium" (or Prince, for lack of a known term for the game setting), or even medium-hard (I guess that would be the "king" setting).

I've been thinking about what Lancer said in reference to the "teams" being sponsored by various forums ... Are the teams being slotted in different forums a necessity?

You know, we could just have an open sign-up for a given period of time. Then, when the sign-up window closes, start the games with everyone on their own (no teams). For instance, depending on the maximum number of players allowed, the first 7 players that signed up start a game, players 8-14 start a game, players 15-21 start a game, and so on. The winners of these games would them move on to a second game (and depending on how many players we have signed up, there would be a 3rd, 4th, 5th, and so on game) - until there is only one player standing.

This brings another thought to mind - The Civ3 Release date. If Civ3 is released in America by mid-October, and the game is released in Europe in February 2002; we shouldn't have the championship until everyone can compete. What I'm saying is that launching the actual Apolyton Championship is dependent on the world-wide release on the game - since the Apolyton Forum is made-up from people world-wide.

So, any thoughts?
Old August 30, 2001, 19:32   #30
TechWins
King

A prince or king level would be the best in my opinion. This way would let more people play because of all the differing gameplay capabilities of the user. The barbarian activity should be at one of the higher levels. Anything civ-specific should be turned off (even though I will probably use it in SP). The map size should be at normal size and be randomized on the land formations. Maybe when the time comes for the playing of this we could take a poll(s) to decide which options would be best.

Wittlich, I too like the idea of a tournament. It will create a final winner and give everybody a chance to compete. A non comlex tournament could be to have 2, 4, 8, 16, 23, 64, 128, etc... sets of games. If there were to be 100 people wanting to play then we could go with 16 sets of games with 12 games playing with 6 human players and 12 games playing with 7 human players. This would be the only way to be able to include everybody. When the time comes I would be willing to create the brackets and update the brackets. Would anybody like to have a two game elimination?