Old August 27, 2001, 03:02   #1
Jeje2
Prince

Local Time: 14:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
PIRATES - coming!!!
Hi,
just found an interesting article over at business 2.0 about the making of PIRATES.

Oh, how many good memories there are from my old C64+Sid's Pirates.
If only Firaxis was involved in this
Old August 27, 2001, 06:56   #2
tniem
King

Local Time: 07:51
Yeah but from what I understand this project is about handhelds and battling people as you pass them by on the street. A cool concept but not quite the same as the classic Sid adventure game that we grew up with.
Old August 28, 2001, 03:42   #3
Moral Hazard
King

Local Time: 08:51
If you looking for a modern Pirates I recommend you try Sea Dogs. It's has all the elements of Pirates! (Sea Battles, Trade, Fencing) It's more quest driven than pirates however, and has an overarching story line (actually 3 as I understand it, according to which country you ally with). Of course you can always just be a roving pirate. It also adds alot of RPG elements, which means it's hard to sail out of English waters without being pummeled mecilessly by Pirates or the Spanish until you've leveled up you character and have got a better ship. Which put's a damper on being a blood thirsty rougue right off the bat.

Everything in the game is done in 3d from walking through the towns, to the sea battles and fencing the enemy captain. Because of this the towns can be a bit time consuming especially when you've docked just sell and buy goods, which is your major money maker early on. Fencing is also tricky to learn, but not bad once you get the basic ideas down. You can't however dominate like you could in Pirates, where your small platoon takes out a large army because the AI sucks at fencing.

It's not perfectly done but it's a good game. If anything it added too many elements to the game but I feel they blend well together.