Old August 28, 2001, 03:10   #1
Alex 14
Prince

Local Time: 22:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Problem with the Zulu civ
Firaxis put 'Zulu Land' under the select civ screen, thats really strange. When i play civ 3 i dont want to control Zulu land, i want to control Zulu people . Any ideas?
Old August 28, 2001, 09:07   #2
Gangerolf
Prince

Local Time: 13:52
It also says America, Russia, Aztec Empire, Britain etc etc.
Zulu Land is the country name for the Zulus.
Old August 28, 2001, 15:55   #3
Alexander I
staff
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization IV CreatorsCivilization IV: MultiplayerPolyCast Team

Local Time: 06:52
The actual name of the Zulu nation that existed in present day South Africa was "Zululand" as it is rendered in English. Why Firaxis put "Zulu Land" I don't know, but it's a step in the right direction. By the way, in addition to the noun and adjectival forms for tthe civilizations, it is apparently also adding national nouns to the civs. For example:

Romans
Roman
Rome

Germans
German
Germany

Zulus
Zulu
Zululand

Americans
American
America

And so on. I think you get the idea. The real question is:

British
British
Britain

or is it:

English
English
Britain

or:

English
British
Britain

We'll have to wait and see.
The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report
Old August 28, 2001, 17:19   #4
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 07:52
you cant just lump britian and england together, they get pissed

well i suppose i'd get pissed if someone called me a maxican
Old August 28, 2001, 22:07   #5
Ozymandias
Prince

Local Time: 08:52
Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander01
The actual name of the Zulu nation that existed in present day South Africa was "Zululand" as it is rendered in English.
I think "Zulu" is probably the wrong approach anyway for Civ. The Zulu are a Bantu people, who began in east-central Africa. One of the greatest tragedies/ironies of all time is arguably that their very long migration took them to "Zululand" just as Europeans were showing up in the same historical moment.

Having the "Bantu" begin somewhere closer to central Africa (1) allows them potential early contact with the Egyptians, and (2) doesn't give them so much of a chance to spread across the continent utterly unchecked. Proximity to the Indian Ocean also gives rise to earlier incentives to developing seafaring etc.

-O.
Old August 28, 2001, 22:39   #6
fred
Prince

Local Time: 12:52
Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander01
Americans
American
America
Yeah for blunders?

Last time I checked Canada was in the americas as well as a few others ie Brazil .

I can handle the Americans and American

But Ples call it the United States (leave out america too much assoiciation with america, i have conceeded the people's name... dont ask me to allow themselves to claim the rest of america)
Old August 29, 2001, 01:48   #7
Mister Pleasant

Quote:
Yeah for blunders?

Last time I checked Canada was in the americas as well as a few others ie Brazil .
I agree with you Fred - just there is no easy adjective for us. Mexicans call us 'Norteamericanos' - not particularly fair to the Canadians (technically, Mexicans are north americans too). I heard a Peruvian refer to us as 'Estados Unides' or some adjectival version of 'Estados Unidos' I hadn't heard before. 'USers' would work in non-formal contexts I suppose, but would not look elegant in official documents.

Anyone got any ideas or other expressions they've heard?

Old August 29, 2001, 07:27   #8
Hasdrubal
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Mister Pleasant

I heard a Peruvian refer to us as 'Estados Unides' or some adjectival version of 'Estados Unidos' I hadn't heard before

Anyone got any ideas or other expressions they've heard?
I once heard a Mexicano refer to Americans as 'Gringos locos'.
Old August 29, 2001, 08:40   #9
fred
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Hasdrubal

I once heard a Mexicano refer to Americans as 'Gringos locos'.
LOL

Affirmative.
Old September 4, 2001, 10:41   #10
jsw363
Prince

Local Time: 04:52
Latin Americans have lots of fun names for people from the US. I think that you probably heard the Peruvian call you an Estadounidense. Unfortunately in Spanish you can make words like that that don't turn out so well in English. (United Statesian)

I've heard citizens of the US (as I don't know what else to call them) called gringos, cuicos, blancos, rubios, yanquis, and worse.

And lots of Canadians and Latin Americans get REALLY offended when someone refers to people from the UNited States as Americans. Though it's common, it's not correct and potentially offensive since it excludes many other legitimate Americans.

On Topic: I hope that they make these adjetival, possesive, etc. forms of words editable so that I don't end up with Zululand, which I don't particularly like. Thye usually do a pretty good job of though as I remember from past versions...
Old September 4, 2001, 13:31   #11
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 06:52
Quote:
Originally posted by fred
But Ples call it the United States (leave out america too much assoiciation with america, i have conceeded the people's name... dont ask me to allow themselves to claim the rest of america)
Although this doesn't excuse it's continued use, calling citizens of the US 'americans' began when the US was the only independent nation in the hemisphere. Others soon followed, but by then the name was already widely used for USers.

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old September 4, 2001, 17:36   #12
Blaupanzer
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 08:52
Careful, Marquis, at U.S. independence current U.S. territory included the independent nations of the Huron, Iroquois, Mandan, and others with agricultural economies and legitimate territorial claims.

The Zulus do not call their land "Zululand" today. Is it "Inkatha," or is that just the political party? Anyway, they have a name for it. Not so incidentally, the Japanese don't call themselves "Japan" either.

Might be worth thinking about what people called themselves when building a game about competing cultures.
Old September 4, 2001, 17:57   #13
red_jon
NationStates
King

Well, if you can't use the term 'USers', why not simply have 'Citizens of the United States' or 'US citizens'?

Sorted.
Old September 4, 2001, 18:27   #14
Ribannah
Queen

Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
"United States" is not specific enough. There are more United States, for instance the United States of Brazil. How about "United Tribes", since people of so many tribes have formed the country?

By the way, it is very weird to call the Dutch "Dutch" (Deutsch=German!) instead of "Netherlanders" or, if one wishes, "Batavians".
Old September 5, 2001, 07:06   #15
red_jon
NationStates
King

OK then, if you want to be picky, the civ can be 'Citizens of the United States of America'. But they'd have to make a bigger diplomacy screen
Old September 5, 2001, 07:12   #16
aaglo
King

Local Time: 15:52
...or use smaller font