Old August 28, 2001, 09:39   #1
martin76
Settler

Local Time: 13:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
More cities in city.txt
has anyone added more cities to city.txt
i often have loads of cities and get tired of calling them Moscow2 and so on...
if there is city.txt files out there i dont have to edit it myself(since i'm lazy)
Old August 28, 2001, 14:03   #2
Jay Bee
staff
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 14:53
Re: More cities in city.txt
Quote:
Originally posted by martin76
has anyone added more cities to city.txt
i often have loads of cities and get tired of calling them Moscow2 and so on...
if there is city.txt files out there i dont have to edit it myself(since i'm lazy)

It's not that complicated or time-consuming, man. Give it try. I'm sure you will even enjoy it.
Old August 29, 2001, 06:00   #3
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 05:53
It's really not that hard. I don't think anybody has made one for download, since they're so abominably easy. I think Christantine even has his own list (chistantinople, chris eastern, chris lake, chris port, etc)

just get an atlas and get some city names and add to your hearts content.

I decided to do this myself after I played a long game and several of the AI cities were all named "cunaxa". since I had conquered a number of them, it made things confusing. "The citizens of cunaxa are revolting". OK, so which cunaxa was that?

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn
Old August 29, 2001, 06:44   #4
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 06:53
Indeed, it numbs the mind, it is so easy. Just type in more cities under each tribe, et voila! Your problem is solved. If you need cities for alternate civs, many people have made them for scenarios. I have many for dozens of civs not included in the game, others surely do, too. Ask and ye shall receive! (Although you then must edit the rules.txt, which is not as easy as the city.txt...)

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old August 29, 2001, 19:15   #5
Jacobite1688
Spanish Civers
Prince

I just made a city.txt for an almost finished scenario. Civs: Picts, Irish, Scots, Britons, Romano-Britons, Saxons, Angles. It looks a hell of a lot better now that the Angles no longer establish "Washington" in 5th century Essexshire.
Old September 1, 2001, 02:12   #6
Christantine The Great
Prince

Local Time: 07:53
Quote:
Originally posted by Father Beast
It's really not that hard. I don't think anybody has made one for download, since they're so abominably easy. I think Christantine even has his own list (chistantinople, chris eastern, chris lake, chris port, etc)
I prefer my own names when I name cities, makes the game so much more personal. "How dare you take Christantinople? I shall win my city back, you filth!"

Jay Bee is right, it could be fun to learn about your favorite Civ through their city names.
Old September 1, 2001, 02:18   #7
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 22:53
Customise
I actually Customised the Aztecs to my own tribe name "The Mad monks" and then put in a list of my city names in city.txt "Raz HQ, Temple town Etc "

If i get really big civ , I tend to get confused and so name my citys via code , all start with a differnet letter for each Continent or Island . makes goto command much easier ...
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old September 1, 2001, 09:15   #8
Father Beast
King

Re: Customise
Quote:
Originally posted by Rasputin
I actually Customised the Aztecs to my own tribe name "The Mad monks" and then put in a list of my city names in city.txt "Raz HQ, Temple town Etc "

If i get really big civ , I tend to get confused and so name my citys via code , all start with a differnet letter for each Continent or Island . makes goto command much easier ...
That's actually a very good idea. I myself will get confused about hwere I founded cities in multiple games (let's see, did I found Beastland on the west coast north or east coast south this game I think last game I founded it close to an inland mountain range...). using a code of some sort, like all the cities on this continent start with s, would go a long way to remembering where I put those darn cities...

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
Old September 1, 2001, 18:31   #9
cpemma
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:53
Quote:
using a code of some sort, like all the cities on this continent start with s, would go a long way to remembering where I put those darn cities...
Not very pretty, but naming your cities by their map co-ordinates and continent number (eg. 21x51c13) would show you where they were and would also help pick good trade routes.

After all, the Yanks do it with streets
Old September 1, 2001, 21:01   #10
Shadowstrike
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by cpemma

Not very pretty, but naming your cities by their map co-ordinates and continent number (eg. 21x51c13) would show you where they were and would also help pick good trade routes.

Why play Civ? Get Deep Blue to do it.
Old September 2, 2001, 03:54   #11
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by cpemma

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadowstrike
Why play Civ? Get Deep Blue to do it.

Naming the cities is supposed to be fun.
Old September 2, 2001, 06:38   #12
spartak
King

Local Time: 12:53
It is? Oh.

I can't be bothered with big empires because the micromanagement really sucks.
Old September 3, 2001, 10:38   #13
Jay Bee
staff
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame

Yes, it is... and you really need not a *big* empire to start using customized names
Old September 10, 2001, 18:43   #14
civcop
Chieftain

City names
Anyone else change the names of cities owned by other civs? Especially the civs that annoy you most, such as France. I've added cities with the names of Rude Waiter, Frogtown, etc. to them. I added Blowchow to China and wanted to add Wangchungtonight but it has too many characters (only 15 allowed).

Jacobite, I had an idea for a scenario wherein England, Scotland and Wales unite as an alliance to conquer Europe and Asia and divide their spoils. I'm just beginning research on city names for this alliance. Any suggestions? It is tentatively set in the middle ages.
Old September 13, 2001, 18:56   #15
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 08:53
I once added the Arabs and Incas, whose lists are already in, and made up my own for Mexico and Australia. BTW, ROFL at "Rude Waitor"

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old September 15, 2001, 11:56   #16
Jacobite1688
Spanish Civers
Prince

Re: City names
Quote:
[SIZE=1] Jacobite, I had an idea for a scenario wherein England, Scotland and Wales unite as an alliance to conquer Europe and Asia and divide their spoils. I'm just beginning research on city names for this alliance. Any suggestions? It is tentatively set in the middle ages.
Barbara Tuchman's "A Distant Mirror" is probably the best serious popular book you can get about Late-Feudal Western Europe (and Europe in general.) Any good library should have it. You want help on city names? I'd be glad to help in any way. Scotland would not unite with England and Wales without the introduction of some non-historical factors. Why not set it in the Age of Revolution? Fed up with the Hanovarians after the loss of the American colonies, revolution breaks out in Britian! King George III loses his head and the Prince of Wales escapes for Hannover. The now not-so-young pretender, Prince Charles, is invited to accept the Crowns of the Kingdoms. The Anglican Church is reunited with Rome, Ireland accepts the settlement and Charles Crowns himself "Emperor of the British Isles". With Papal approval, Wellington and Nelson lead the forces of Britian out into the world to fullfill a Napoleonic-like dream! Whatya think?

Last edited by Jacobite1688; September 15, 2001 at 12:03.
Old October 5, 2001, 09:42   #17
Father Beast
King

It's as easy as heck!

I just was playing an ICS (my first) game as the americans, and my next city in 260 AD came up as "Naples"! The Horror!! I immediately exited the game and edited the City.txt to include a bunch of cities from Southern California , where I grew up. Off the top of my head. after 15, I got back into the game. I can do his as many times as I want!!

Old December 17, 2001, 16:59   #18
wathombe
Settler

Local Time: 04:53
(Old thread, I know, but I'm new, I was browsing, and I felt like responding.)

Personally, I rarely use the computer-suggested name anyway. I prefer to substitute an actual city name from the Civ I'm playing, chosen for the rough geographical area or city characteristic of the newly founded city. Makes it easy to keep track of location, as well: for the Americans, Monterey on a coast in the west, Boston on the northeast coast, Blacksburg next to my coal mines, et cetera. Makes for a fun alternate geography for a civ.

wathombe
Old December 17, 2001, 17:58   #19
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

To tell the truth, I really only need to do this if I'm doing a whole arseload of empire building (or ICS).

On occasion, I build cities near enemy territory that are supposed to function as forts. Some good opportunities for creative naming there-- typically "Fort -----------", though sometimes I might name the fort city "[civ name] Sucks" or "**** [civ name]". They haven't gotten PO'd yet

And if I have a city that I'm particularily proud of, I name it Antlergrad. Gives me more of an impetus to defend it...