Old August 29, 2001, 02:00   #1
phildphild
Settler

Local Time: 12:54
Local Date: October 31, 2010
DVD box?! Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...
Considering the price of the UK edition of Civ 3, it seems like it'll probably be a DVD box.
Will there be a UK Collectors Edition? Pleeeeeeeeease say yes, Firaxis.
"For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that whoever believes will not perish but have eternal life" -- John 3:16
Old August 29, 2001, 06:54   #2
tniem
King

Local Time: 07:54
This sounds like one of those posts by Dan that this is not up to Firaxis but instead by their publisher Infogrames. So why don't you send a letter to an European publisher they might listen to you.
Old August 29, 2001, 06:57   #3
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 13:54
There's no price difference between boxed and DvD games in the UK. I think you're jumping to conclusions. A civ game without a big manual and separate tech chart? That would be a crime
Old August 29, 2001, 09:45   #4
Pembleton
Prince

Local Time: 06:54
Quote:
Originally posted by Grumbold
There's no price difference between boxed and DvD games in the UK. I think you're jumping to conclusions. A civ game without a big manual and separate tech chart? That would be a crime
Does this mean that not all games come in DVD packaging? Which games come in boxes with manuals and which ones don't? How do they decide?

I live in the U.S. and I don't know but I thought, from previous threads that I have read, that all games came in the DVD packaging.
Old August 29, 2001, 16:25   #5
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Which games come in boxes with manuals and which ones don't

My experience has shown that good games come in DVD style packaging with standard manuals. As they sell themselves shoppers will actively seek them out.

Poor games tend to stick with big boxes so as to attract the shoppers attention.

Hence most games remain in boxes, market leaders use DVD style packaging.

This is based on my limited experience though.
Old August 29, 2001, 17:27   #6
JosefGiven
Warlord

Cardboard boxes are yesterday's news. These new DVD boxes are practical and well built. In fact, whoever designed CD jewel cases should sit up and take note. Whoever designed Playstation games cases should just be shot. Anyone who's ever owned a Playstation (1) knows what I mean.

Sure, I enjoyed the door-stop of a manual that came with Civ II. Just reading it, and immersing myself in Civ was enough to quench my addiction for whole seconds! However, as one poster made the point, do we really need to deforest another few acres just for a manual that we, as veteran civers will like as not never actually need to use?

A tech-tree chart will doubtless fit snuggly into a DVD case, alongside a nice, slim-line manual for newbies.

If you want to read civ until it pours out of your ears - buy the strategy guide!
Old August 29, 2001, 17:59   #7
LTD
Settler

DVD boxes are fine for single disc games but they are useless for holding multiple discs.
Old August 29, 2001, 18:08   #8
LTD
Settler

DVD boxes are fine for single disc games, but they are crap for holding multiple discs.
Old August 29, 2001, 18:09   #9
Sean
Prince

I agree with Josef. The big boxes take up too much space, and I need the shelf space. My old boxes take up too much room as it is. Also, I have never seen how so much packaging was justified, except as a further marketing tool.
Old August 29, 2001, 18:12   #10
JosefGiven
Warlord

what about multiple posts?

Actually, that's a good point. But I imagine Civ III will come on a single platter.
Old August 29, 2001, 21:20   #11
Executor
Warlord

Local Time: 07:54
Location: of Terra Prime, homeworld of the Terran Star Empire
Quote:
Originally posted by JosefGiven
However, as one poster made the point, do we really need to deforest another few acres just for a manual that we, as veteran civers will like as not never actually need to use?
You can always grow more trees. I want a 5000 page manual, goddamnit! With each civilization having a 100 page history, and 20 for each tech, 10 for each unit, etc. I want to still be reading the manual when I've finished the game twenty times over.
Old August 30, 2001, 03:53   #12
Grumbold
Emperor

Of recent games I am familiar with, the main reason for choosing box over DvD has been the manual size. Arcanum, for instance, would never have got their manual into a DvD. You can fit more than one CD in a DvD but it does make scratching more likely if they are fitted onto one spindle or held lose.

Civ is a game that deserves a quality manual and separate tech/civ chart. Lets hope it gets them.
Old August 30, 2001, 05:13   #13
martin76
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by LTD
DVD boxes are fine for single disc games but they are useless for holding multiple discs.
If they put the game on a DVD disc they wouldn't need multiple CDs.
Old August 30, 2001, 05:58   #14
Mookie
Settler

I love those DVD-boxes
Old August 30, 2001, 07:26   #15
red_jon
NationStates
King

Red Alert 2 doesn't fare too well with a DVD box. As there are 2 CDs, one of them has to be stored in a plastic slip-thing. Not very good.

But DVD boxes are better on the whole. It seems virtually every game comes in a DVD box now, from the RCT expansion packs to Traffic Giant.
Old August 30, 2001, 10:32   #16
tuckson
Warlord

Are they actually shipping a decent manual with civ3 ? I mean like the manual of civ2?

Or do we need to buy the limited edition (or just the strategy guide) for our extra reading needs?

Haven't seen it confirmed yet.

BTW, I did contact Infogrames about the limited edition for europe, but I guess those guys don't know hoe to e-mail. Still haven't seen a reply. Not even an automated one.

Kind regards,
Old August 30, 2001, 12:09   #17
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 20:54
JG,

"However, as one poster made the point, do we really need to deforest another few acres just for a manual that we, as veteran civers will like as not never actually need to use?"

What about the platic they use for the DVD boxes

"If they put the game on a DVD disc they wouldn't need multiple CDs."

And cut their own collective throat by making it inaccessable to around 80% of the gamers
Old August 30, 2001, 12:10   #18
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 20:54
JG,

"However, as one poster made the point, do we really need to deforest another few acres just for a manual that we, as veteran civers will like as not never actually need to use?"

What about the platic they use for the DVD boxes That's worse than paper any day of the week.

martin76,

"If they put the game on a DVD disc they wouldn't need multiple CDs."

And cut their own collective throat by making it inaccessable to around 80% of the gamers
Old August 30, 2001, 20:41   #19
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

Local Time: 08:54
Quote:
Originally posted by red_jon
Red Alert 2 doesn't fare too well with a DVD box. As there are 2 CDs, one of them has to be stored in a plastic slip-thing. Not very good.

But DVD boxes are better on the whole. It seems virtually every game comes in a DVD box now, from the RCT expansion packs to Traffic Giant.
are you kiddding me? wherever I go ( circuit city, best buy, babbages) i haven't seen a dvd box for a computer gam.

ALSO look at the ordering screen/thingie at the apolyton civ site. DOes that look like a dvd box to you?

i think bnot