Old March 8, 2001, 11:36   #1
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 19:53
Local Date: October 30, 2010
another stupid AI trick - UN location

Diety, restless, 7 civs, no restart. medium real world map. Its 1912. Im zulus, only other survivors are Aztecs and French.

My empire includes my home base of Africa, southern europe, the conquered persian empire (Greece to Southeast Asia) and Brazil, which ive colonized against intermittent Aztec opposition.

Me and the French are tied for Supreme. We're both in demo. tight tech race. French empire sprawls from France to Pacific coast of Russia.
I was about to found a city in central China (reaching out from my ex-Persian city in southeast asia) when he stops this with a sneak attack, afer centuries of peace (for him, not for me,ive just finished conquering the Persians). OK so far.

Meanwhile Ive sent a spy on a transport to explore Australia, look for huts, city sites. what does she find but a French city on the east coast (roughly Sydney). Well thats not so unusual. She investigates it. A couple of units, a couple of improvements, and ....... the UN!!!!!!!!
Sitting out there all by its lonesome, isolated from the rest of the French empire!!!!!!! A WOW that is at the core of their "strategy".
Now its just a question of whether I can assemble an assault force before the UN forces a ceasefire.

Perhaps there is a way to keep them fighting by offering fat targets? Or just do the usual provocations to restart the war.

Lord of the Mark
Old March 8, 2001, 16:57   #2
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 16:53
Local Date: October 30, 2010
that's a good example.

nothing beats taking a larger civ2 UN and making peace with them.

This is great as USSR in the ww79 scenario. Take New York city. Declare piece and spend 10 turns building up howitzers and mech. infantry in new york city. use the railroads- and voila! you have won the game. yeah the nuke a few of their own cities so be sure to spread the howies out when you first violate the peace agreement.
Old March 9, 2001, 01:25   #3
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 00:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The fact that the AI gets shields for free to build wonders causes some pretty stupid wonder locations (size 2 cities etc.). Worst I've seen though is tiny cities building spaceship modules every turn .. makes me sick.