Old August 30, 2001, 13:37   #1
tniem
King

Local Time: 07:56
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Blizzard's Next Game
Blizzard Entertainment has one of the best reputations in the industry. Every game they have released since War Craft II has gone on and been named by a few gaming magazines as the best of the year. Their games always go on to be huge sellers.

And there is one simple reason for this, their games are good. Even though I wouldn't normally play a game like Diablo, I found that it was extremely well done. Every part of the game was balanced, organized for multiplayer, and had few bugs if any noticable ones in them.

So in my opinion Blizzard is probably the best producer in the industry in just making quality games. I see their name and know that even if the game doesn't appeal to me I will enjoy it. I have said in the past they are the type of company that BHG or Firaxis or Quicksilver or any other should strive to be. But that is not what this thread is about.

Instead it is about my excititement for the announcement of a new game.

That's right a new game other than WarCraft III.

First the facts.

I have read that Blizzard is making a speech this weekend in London. Following the speech or announcement they are holding back to back hour long press confrences. So two hours of questions, what other topic would the media be that interested in hearing from Blizzard other than their next game?

Second, I went to their website today and was given a different index page. This one has an image that I have attached and then text that says "In every saga there lies a journey of wonder and imagination..."

I think these are pretty strong indications that an announcement of the next game is coming this weekend.

The question I pose to all of you, is what do you think it possibly could be?
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	imagination.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	2169  
Old August 31, 2001, 00:53   #2
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 08:56
"The Dawn of Man"?

"The End of Man"?

"Aliens Visit Man"?

"Man, my car just blew up!"?

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old August 31, 2001, 01:44   #3
Moral Hazard
King

Starcraft 2
Old August 31, 2001, 02:35   #4
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Ah, it's the landing on Mars.

MarsCraft.

Old August 31, 2001, 02:45   #5
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

MarsCraft: In every saga there lies a journey of wonder and imagination...until a fat, bearded man gets in the way. Like an innocent child sent to explore the sand and seashells, a mechanical angel was sent by Earth to bid an ancient planet 'Greetings! I wish peace between us! I am but a mechanical angel...do not tear off my wheels.'

For a time, we lost contact with the craft. Until now. This image was just recieved from the planet Mars. It is graphic and brutal. Please turn your eyes away if your stomach is weak:

MarsCraft: Time to teach this fat Mars dude some manners!

Coming Spring 2002!

Last edited by yin26; August 31, 2001 at 05:18.
Old August 31, 2001, 06:12   #6
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Local Time: 12:56
It's obviously SMAC2.

BTW, new image:

Old August 31, 2001, 14:48   #7
tniem
King

The line for the new image is...

As the veil of darkness gives way to a new dawn...
Old September 1, 2001, 03:07   #8
korn469
Emperor

according to Voodoo Extreme Blizzard's new game is

World of WarCraft

the website is working though it doesn't contain any information yet, just the picture snapcase posted

here is what VE had to say about it

Quote:
During a press conference today at the European Computer Trade Show, Blizzard Entertainment unveiled World of Warcraft, a massively multiplayer, online role-playing game set in the rich fiction of Blizzard's Warcraft universe. Featuring bold 3D graphics and deep, immersive gameplay, World of Warcraft will allow thousands of players to adventure together in this epic setting and will provide them with a new, in-depth perspective on familiar lands, former battlefields, and heroes from the legendary universe. In addition, World of Warcraft will introduce new, uncharted territories and foes never before seen by followers of the series.
btw is the Blizzard team making this game (the guys who made Warcraft and StarCraft) or is it the team at Blizzard North (the guys who made Diablo, Diablo2)? if it is Blizzard North that might mean StarCraft 2 could be out there on the horizon (probably winter of 2004)
Old September 1, 2001, 13:03   #9
tniem
King

korn, thanks for the information. It looks great.

I would have to think that since WarCraft III is still in developement that this new game World of WarCraft is being built by Blizzard North. On their website it says that Team Two is working on a project. Does that mean that there is a new team or is Blizzard renaming North?

Any way new pic this morning:

with the caption:

Ancient worlds and timeless dangers are rediscovered...
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	discovery.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	2225  
Old September 2, 2001, 11:40   #10
tniem
King

World of WarCraft
Well Korn was proved right of course this morning when Blizzard announced the game.

More information is up at Blizzard.com including movies of gameplay and trailer. Only thing really to add to the information already provided is that it the time of the game is four years after WarCraft III. The races are picking up the pieces and cleaning up the rubble after the Reign of Chaos. And now you get to work with others in a massive online MP game.

What is interesting is most games like this charge monthly fees but Blizzard has always kept Battle.net free. Could this game take over the online RP games?
Old September 2, 2001, 21:13   #11
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Re: World of WarCraft
Quote:
Originally posted by tniem
What is interesting is most games like this charge monthly fees but Blizzard has always kept Battle.net free.
Not this time:

Will there be monthly fee to play the game?
Yes; however, we are still investigating our business model and have not yet determined what the fee will be.

Why isn't World of Warcraft free?
World of Warcraft will require a fee to play. This fee will be used to support the costs associated with the high-quality levels of service, support, and ongoing content creation that we are planning for World of Warcraft.

However, I must say that if the fee isn't that expensive I'll be sorely tempted to sign up for an account.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old September 3, 2001, 02:27   #12
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

I wonder: What age group does this target? As a 30 year-old father of one, I simply don't have the time to invest in such an on-line 'life,' though I'd really like to.

How old are the people here who plan to buy this game? Oh, and do you have jobs?

Old September 3, 2001, 19:31   #13
tniem
King

yin-

I have no idea who will buy it. While it looks like a very intruiging game and the graphics look phenomenal and is something I would definitely be interested in and be willing to spend 50-65 dollars to buy. But then pay a 10 dollar monthly fee and only get to play once or twice a week. I am sorry but the game is just not for me. I am in school and just won't have time to justify the 10 monthly cost. Although I am sure it will be good, I just don't think I will have time for it and probably won't buy it unless it is great and maybe then I will play in the summer.

And I believe korn asked which team was working on this one. Finally found an answer I believe to be correct from another forum:

Quote:
Blizzard HQ (South) in Irvine, CA, has two product development teams. Team 1 is their RTS team, composed of many of the developers who brought us Warcraft II and Starcraft. Team 2 is comprised of mainly new hires (from companies such as Activision and ID) as well as some previous members of Team 1.

Blizzard North is taking a short break after working on Diablo games for six years. They have not announced what their next project will be, but their design team has probably begun story-boarding it already.
Team 1 then is working on WarCraft III while Team 2 is working on Worlds of WarCraft. Blizzard seems to work on games now for a year before announcing them so this Blizzard North short break is probably just their beginning prototype time period and we will find out in 6 months to a year what they have been working on.
Old September 3, 2001, 19:49   #14
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

tniem:

Precisely. I can't justify the monthly charge either knowing that I won't be able to play it often. Yet, these things are making millions and millions. I just wonder who is playing them? I suppose I *could* make time like I did for MP AoK...but that was before my daughter was old enough to cause trouble. So I would have to guess the people who get the most out of these kinds of MMORPGs are:

** Unemployed, or
** Teenagers, or
** College students who don't need sleep, or
** College students who don't do homework,
** Independently wealthy, or
** Have no children, or
** Have no spouse, or
** Are Crazy! Actually, a mix of many of these could work, too. The target audience could be a crazy, unmarried, childless college student who doesn't do homework and doesn't need sleep but doesn't need to because he's independently wealthy.

Truth is, I'm just jealous of the people who have the time to spend on those things. Then again, I had my glory days back with the Ultima series, so I shouldn't complain.

Old September 4, 2001, 08:14   #15
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Just like (the considerably more impressive looking) Star Wars Galaxies, they're trying to appeal to both Casual and Hardcore gamers. This game probably has levelling, though, because it certainly has classes.
Old September 4, 2001, 11:35   #16
Moral Hazard
King

Wow. Everyone and their brother are making a MMORPG these days.

I'm pretty sure Blizzard won't come out with a standard MMORPG, I'm expecting a blend of Diablo and and traditional MMORPGs, meaning you'll see a MMORPG universe, but you'll be able to quest in private dungeons; similar to Diablo. That way they'll be able to go after the Diablo market, which is larger than that of Everquest, UO, or Asheron's call. Of course that may be more a factor of price and not design.

If it is traditional I think it will fail (they'll make money but not as much as Vivendi wants), by 2003 the market will be heavily saturated and Warcraft's setting won't be enough IMO.
Old September 5, 2001, 13:18   #17
OldWarrior_42
Prince

Test...
Old September 5, 2001, 20:21   #18
Shadowstrike
Emperor

Psst.... Yin, you forgot the teenage part

(And don't tell me that its obvious, because it isn't at least for some people other then me)
Old September 6, 2001, 18:47   #19
Zopperoni
Age of Nations TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 14:56
Nice pics...but it's about the in-game screenies
Old September 8, 2001, 20:27   #20
Diablo, Bro. of Mephisto
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Zopper
Nice pics...but it's about the in-game screenies
I went to the official site last night...and they have a couple ingame screenshots...absolutely amazing.

This is no joke in anyway, the screens show that World of Warcraft will have just....AMAZING graphics.

the link to the official site is here:

www.blizzard.com/wow/

in the FAQ (frequently asked questions) at this link, bliz has said that there will be lvling, and there will be characters, and skills like in diablo II and D2: LoD.

so in my oppinion here is what will be World of Warcraft:

Diablo II style of gameplay (meaning lvling, skills, and characters).......

set in the warcraft universe (Warcraft, Warcraft II, Warcraft II: Expansion, Warcraft III)..........

Combined in an amazing graphics' engine and world.
Old September 8, 2001, 21:12   #21
Darkknight
NationStates
Prince

My own little piece of S***

Actually thank god for this thread. I just realised I'd sent a guy a mail without the pics
doh!
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	eclypse.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	2415