Old March 10, 2001, 22:14   #1
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

Local Time: 19:53
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Trade for caravan bonus
Here's a basic question (and I suppose I *could* test it myself, but I'm exhausted from trying to run my trade sleaze.

Does it help to put the workers out to sea to boost trade in the source (or destination) city the instant that a convoy is about to be delivered, or does the program use the value from the beginning of the turn. I suspect that it *does* help, but I wish it didn't, given the tedious extra work to maximize the bonuses.

"Tedious extra work to maximize fillintheblank." Sounds like part and parcel of Civ2!

-- Hermann
Old March 11, 2001, 01:10   #2
Adam Smith
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Yes, you can (and should) boost the trade bonus by putting all those workers on the highest trade squares just before landing the caravan, AND PUTTING THEM BACK ON THE ORIGINAL SQUARES BEFORE THE TURN ENDS!. Since you claim to be lazy, you will probably be happy to know that you can move all the sea workers back to land squares by clicking on any land square in the city radius. Note, however, that this will not necessarily return the workers to their ORIGINAL land squares, so you may still have to do some micromanaging.
Old March 11, 2001, 06:03   #3
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 18:53
If you are playing single play... go ahead.
Do that for every caravan in a MP game, and people will stop playing with "a slow" player

It will indeed help the beakers and money bonus you get... but once you move the workers back, the regular turn by turn bonus will be what it is
Old March 12, 2001, 11:55   #4
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

Thanks, Adam & Ming!

Yeah, there is still some micro-managing to be done if I just click on a land square. In this ICS-based game I usually want to maximize shields, and the default seems to maximize food. And slow, me? NEVER! That is, to those who don't think 30 minutes per turn is slow.

One of MANY reasons I have avoided multiplayer!!!!!!
Old March 13, 2001, 12:03   #5
La Fayette
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 00:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
quote:

Originally posted by Hermann the Lombard on 03-12-2001 10:55 AM
Thanks, Adam & Ming!

And slow, me? NEVER! That is, to those who don't think 30 minutes per turn is slow.

One of MANY reasons I have avoided multiplayer!!!!!!

Ask SlowThinker. I think he uses about one week/turn on the average

Old March 13, 2001, 21:11   #6
SlowThinker
GameLeagueApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 01:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
quote:

Originally posted by La Fayette on 03-13-2001 11:03 AM

Not week but months. I have started my first Civ game and I am in 4000 B.C. I didn't find that best continuation yet.
Old March 14, 2001, 00:30   #7
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

quote:

Originally posted by SlowThinker on 03-13-2001 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by La Fayette on 03-13-2001 11:03 AM

Not week but months. I have started my first Civ game and I am in 4000 B.C. I didn't find that best continuation yet.
Ah, the quest for perfection! Come to think of it, the primary reason I first tried "bloodlust" was to minimize decisions ("Simple: see it, kill it.") Basic ICS was more of the same. When I can conquer the world with mounted troops, it goes quicker...though towards the end, 100 dragoons get a bit unwieldy.

Then someone (who shall remain unnamed except to say that his initials are "SG(2)") suggested that I combine ICS with trade. So now I have 128 cities, 48 active engineers, 26 transports, and 43 active freight units! I just checked the time stamps on the saved games, and the last three turns took me one hour each. So whose idea was this???

Mind you, the issue isn't in doubt. It's about 1600, I'm getting one tech per turn with 10% science, and I'm leaving freight undelivered to minimize squandering bonuses. In fact, I'm getting so wrapped up in the trade that I can lose sight of actually winning the game. "Eh? You mean there's a purpose other than making money? But wars are expensive, and so are starships!"

-- Hermann
Old March 14, 2001, 01:36   #8
jake03
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:53

One of MANY reasons I have avoided multiplayer!!!!!![/QUOTE]

[/quote]

Is there a faster Way? Don't scare me if so my pets may never eat!

Old March 14, 2001, 06:07   #9
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Way to go, Hermann! Handling that lot in an hour a turn is seriously good going!
The last few Succession Games that SG(2) and I have tackled together have generally taken between two and three hours simply to decide what changes need to be made to city production, tax rate etc before we even hit the end turn button to start our go.

Just as a general query -- Hermann, do you use copious notes to help you handle all that trade? SG(2) has the kind of (twisted ) mind that allows him to hack it without notes -- I certainly can't and consequently play a very much simplified variant.

------------------
Scouse Git[1]

"Staring at your screen in horror and disbelief when you open a saved game is one of the fun things of a succession game " - Hueij
"The Great Library must be built!"
"A short cut has to be challenging,
were it not so it would be 'the way'."
- Paul Craven
Old March 14, 2001, 12:04   #10
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 17:53
Good going, SG(2) and Hermann! Trade is good - as noted above, fast tech advances and fat coffers are the result of massive trade. You plan to conquer the world? Great, saturate the planet with your caravans for a few game centuries, and you'll be fighting with cavalry against phalanx and maybe one or two civs with pikemen. The AI will be lucky to have gunpowder before you have bombers pummeling their cities. With Adam Smith's, there's no need to tax. Just budget science and luxuries, and watch those light blue-clad citizens smile...

I never expand ICS style by any means, but moving caravans/freight from at least half my cities is typical. It does help to be able to remember twenty commodity/demand combos, tho. Otherwise it could get downright tiring hitting F5 all evening.

------------------
"There is no fortress impregnable to an ass laden with gold."
-Philip of Macedon
Old March 14, 2001, 16:49   #11
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

You must complete the game - it sounds like a classic sleaze!

To be fair when Sid made CIV 2, and came to the trade interface - well, it must have been like when the Gits get together - he messed it up!

I use very arbitary rules with trade:

Dye, Silk, Spice, Silver, Copper, Wine (yes, if you are a Scouse!) seem good news most of the time.
Hides can repeat (as can silk) so always check the demand.
Salt, Cloth, Beads are early game commodities and come from/to small new cities. Beads can surprise you!
Gold is a joker - always check if anyone needs it. This seems to fluctuate more than any other commodity. Gems can be similar to Gold - but usually in slightly wider demand.
Wool is a funny one; it almost fits the Cloth/Salt category but some large cities often need it later (1700's) in the game.
Coal and Oil are frequently supplied early on - but with no demand. In the later centuries watch these products.
Uranium - modern times only - great when you can find a city that supplies the stuff!!

This is not theory just "empirical" gut feelings during the games I have played trading. I have done no (clinical) testing to support the above!

-----------

SG(2)

Old March 15, 2001, 01:43   #12
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

<<
Just as a general query -- Hermann, do you use copious notes to help you handle all that trade? SG(2) has the kind of (twisted ) mind that allows him to hack it without notes -- I certainly can't and consequently play a very much simplified variant.
>>

SG(1),

Your twisted compadre got me into this mess. Yes, I use copious notes, or at least that's what I'm using for THIS much trade. Basically, as each new caravan is created, I note the origin city, the cargo, and the intended destination (if I can figure that out on the fly). Something like "Pul:Co->Was" meaning "Pullman: Coal to Washington" or "aAnc:Sv->SpSev" for "(Alaska) Anchorage: Silver to Spanish Seville." Originally, I had a list of cities which had a route to my SSC. At each new caravan, if the city did not yet have a route to the SSC, I'd send the caravan there (unless I had a good foreign demand, which was at that stage usually a mistake). Later those entries might look like "Pul*2" meaning that Pullman had two routes to the SSC.

So then as each caravan becomes active, I check the list to see where the h*ll I wanted it to go. Sometimes I'd make a separate list of cargo grouped on a single ship, just to be able to find the info easier. I have another list of the cities which have food routes to the SSC, and of cities with food caravans waiting to build wonders. Finally there is a list of "To Do" such as "Pul:Min" meaning "Pullman needs a mine." How about, "Hermann needs a life!"

Oh, and I finally gave up and used the back of an envelope to list demands for each product, because I was sick of opening that damned screen over and over and over. I only started this when most caravans now go abroad unless the SSC has a demand for them.

Ship chains are now in place to the Sioux and to Greece, and a single chain is now stretching toward Russia and Spain. Trade from my "colonies" is still by single ships which have yet to complete a round trip. I'm getting tired enough that I'm not sure I'll complete the game.

-- Hermann