Old March 12, 2001, 08:18   #1
Roman
King

Local Time: 23:53
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Wonders on continents
For some wonders it says that they only affect the cities on the same continent. Examples of these would include J.S. Bach's Cathedral or the Hoover Dam . What constitutes a continent? What if the "continents" are connected by the polar land link? Does it actually matter what "continent" the cities are on or do the wonders act everywhere?

Some questions to ponder there...
Old March 12, 2001, 08:28   #2
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Fear not Roman - whether or not this is something that the developers never got round to or not is one of Civ's imponderables, but all the wonders work for all the cities of one's civ...

------------------
Scouse Git[1]

"Staring at your screen in horror and disbelief when you open a saved game is one of the fun things of a succession game " - Hueij
"The Great Library must be built!"
"A short cut has to be challenging,
were it not so it would be 'the way'."
- Paul Craven
Old March 12, 2001, 09:50   #3
Winston
Emperor

Local Time: 01:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
quote:

Originally posted by Scouse Gits on 03-12-2001 07:28 AM
but all the wonders work for all the cities of one's civ...

Except for Colossus, Copernicus', Isaac Newton's, Shakespeare's, King Richard's...

No seriously, I agree with SG of course.
Old March 12, 2001, 15:29   #4
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 00:53
But for all its worth, if you want to find out which continent your on you can right click, and next to the map coordinates there will be a number, this is the continent number. So you can use this to determine if something's on the same continent or not. And no, I think polar land links aren't counted as joining continents together...
Old March 12, 2001, 23:33   #5
Archangel MasterBob

They do work for every city.

Old March 13, 2001, 03:21   #6
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

They will sadly work for every city...
I tried to make a wonder affect only the english in my scenario (they where parts of the protestant civ) but that didn't work at all, the german cities got the bonus too.
Old March 13, 2001, 14:17   #7
George Garrett
Warlord

Local Time: 15:53
DrFell, you wrote of "map co-ordinates", and got me all excited. For years
I've been clicking all over the map, and came up with nary a number to show where I'm at. Mine is the 2.42 version, and I always play with the grid in place. I know that the co-ordinates for a city are shown in that city's window e.g. on the game's official large world map the co-ordinates shown for the South coast of U.K. is seventy-something, twenty-ish, which one can establish only AFTER finding whatever city (Southampton, Portsmouth, etc)
one was looking for...it would be so much more helpful, if I could make the co-ordinate numbers appear in each (explored, of course)grid diamond-shaped square. Is this possible in the 2.42 version of Civ2?
Talking of grids, to anyone not using 'em, I can recommend, especially in navigating ships toward a distant port, just line your vessel up on the same horizontal,vertical or diagonal as the target port, and you can sail 'er right in, no precious sailing squares squandered in veering to port, starboard, or astern!
Old March 13, 2001, 14:27   #8
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 18:53
So, the effort I have made to put J S Bach on the continent furtherest away from my Capital (and thus unhappiest) has been wasted?
Old March 13, 2001, 16:25   #9
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Right mouse clicking on any square does, at least on my version, 'highlight' the square with the flashing box. To the right of the screen you get for example:
'Loc: (86,22)8'
(Grassland)

The numbers after Loc: are the grid coordinates, the number on the far right is the continent number. Thus you can find the coordinates and continent number for any square (including unexplored squares!!).
This works for the PC version 2.42, I also have FW and TOT, and it works on these versions too.
Old March 13, 2001, 19:35   #10
finbar
Civilization II MultiplayerMac
Emperor

Local Time: 01:53
quote:

Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola on 03-13-2001 01:27 PM
So, the effort I have made to put J S Bach on the continent furtherest away from my Capital (and thus unhappiest) has been wasted?

Well, yes. Bach and Mike's Chapel work for all your cities, equally, regardless of where they are. Hanging Gardens differs in that it makes three content citizens happy in its home city, and one content citizen happy in your other cities. The manual apparently says that one of the Happys - I've forgotten which - works only on the continent on which it's built. The manual is, sadly, wrong.

------------------
Founder, ACS Pedantry Institute
Founder, ACS Gourmet Recipe Exchange
Troll & Hydey Wrangler
Mono Rules!
Old March 14, 2001, 01:47   #11
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 17:53
Indeed, the polar caps do not count. They are added by the game to the top and bottom row of a map. Create a round-world map without any ice at the poles. Start a game on it, et voila! the ice is there. This is (provided I remember correctly) placed above or below the edge rows you created. Ice does not get added to flat-world maps.
Old March 15, 2001, 08:13   #12
Roman
King

Tks. People - this is v. helpful.