Old August 31, 2001, 05:20   #1
Alex 14
Prince

Local Time: 22:58
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What to put in goody huts?
What are your opinions about what should be included in goody huts (if you think they should be in the game)? Should they be randomized? I have not yet seen any on the screenshots, has anyone?

I reckon their should be units, colonies, barbarians, gold & science. For expansionist civs their should be stronger units, cities, no barbarians, gold, science & maps.
Old August 31, 2001, 05:24   #2
tishco
Prince

Local Time: 12:58
i know its too late probly but i fink they shud have the random option of a nother civ coming out them with a settler and defence unit of form a city and nick your unit
Old August 31, 2001, 06:49   #3
campmajor!
Prince

Local Time: 13:58
Re: What to put in goody huts?
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex 14
I reckon their should be units, colonies, barbarians, gold & science. For expansionist civs their should be stronger units, cities, no barbarians, gold, science & maps.
Well, I don't think there should be colonies coming out of goodie huts. May be a worker, but not a colony.

I reckon it should be about the same as in civ2.
Old August 31, 2001, 07:03   #4
Juggler
Prince

I think there shouldn't be any science goody huts, but I like all the others from civ2. I would like to see the same in civ3.
Old August 31, 2001, 07:08   #5
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Re: Re: What to put in goody huts?
Quote:
Originally posted by campmajor!

I reckon it should be about the same as in civ2.
I hated to uncover a goody hut amidst desert or close to one of my cities, find an advanced tribe and get a city that I had to disband again. Please give me settlers instead!
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old August 31, 2001, 07:15   #6
campmajor!
Prince

Well, IIRC if you disband a 1 size city in civ2, it will become a settler. Problem solved!
Old August 31, 2001, 07:19   #7
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by campmajor!
Well, IIRC if you disband a 1 size city in civ2, it will become a settler. Problem solved!
Actually I would expect it to become a worker Perhaps a size 1 couldn't disband to a settler and would have to wait until size 2...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old August 31, 2001, 07:29   #8
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

campmajor!, what I hated were not the mouseclicks needed to disband a city again by building a settler, but the several turns that took.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old August 31, 2001, 08:13   #9
Admiral
Prince

Local Time: 07:58
Goody huts are in, and according to Firaxis expansonist civs get better stuff out of them. This tends to suggest that it is random like civ2 . My only worry is what they mean by better.
"Remember, there's good stuff in American culture, too. It's just that by "good stuff" we mean "attacking the French," and Germany's been doing that for ages now, so, well, where does that leave us?" - Elok
Old August 31, 2001, 10:59   #10
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 14:58
Quote:
Originally posted by Admiral
Goody huts are in, and according to Firaxis expansonist civs get better stuff out of them. This tends to suggest that it is random like civ2 . My only worry is what they mean by better.
That is not goody huts, but barbarian villages (the replacement of goody huts). You will no longer get anything for free.
Old August 31, 2001, 11:26   #11
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 06:58
I would guess that goody huts probably give similar things that they gave in civ2, cities, techs, units, gold, etc

The difference will be that expansionist civs don't get barbarians or not as often. This would make that ability really worthwhile. While, normal civs sometimes get a free city or tech but also get nasty barbarians, expansionist civs would almost always get the free city, free tech, extra gold etc. This would give expansionist civs a much better head start than other civs. But it is just my guess!
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old August 31, 2001, 11:29   #12
Andrew1999
Warlord

Local Time: 06:58
Sounds like the Native American villages in Colonization. It would be neat if they were divided into mini-civ barbarian tribes--we could have Mongols, Turks, Maylays, Celts, Apache, Tupi, Bantu...
Old August 31, 2001, 15:00   #13
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Well one of the expansionist attributes is 'Get better stuff from barbarian villages'. I have also seen, on one of the E3 videos that you just enter the things like a normal goody hut and the kind of result is similar. I presume barbarian encampments or whatever they are called are a different thing altogether...

But what to put in goody huts...well, goodies

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith