Old September 1, 2001, 00:45   #1
Alantus
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:00
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Sid Interviewed
www.cgonline.com has posted an interview titled "The fathers of Civilization" in which Sid and Bruce Shelley are interviewed.

Talks more about Civ1 than anything, interesting read over at http://www.cgonline.com/features/010829-i1-f1.html if your interested.

Alantus
Old September 1, 2001, 01:12   #2
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 23:00
damn got me excited thinking an interview re Civ 3, but NO jsut boring old civ 1 ......
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old September 1, 2001, 02:23   #3
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Local Time: 08:00
wow, good stuff!!!
Thanks a bunch Atlantus!
Old September 1, 2001, 03:56   #4
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 14:00
For me, a very interesting text passage was Sid Meier talking about transparent game mechanics:

When we went to the turn-based idea of the game, we had this sense of what I call 'discreetness'. Everything is clear. Everything is done by integers. You move three squares. You need ten food to increase your population. There was a feeling of really being hands-on and we wanted to carry that through with the icons. ... The idea of a game about civilization is kind of scary, because it could easily get out of control and be totally unplayable, unmanageable, and gigantic. So we wanted to reassure people right at the beginning that these are concepts that were clear and we don't have some magical model churning away in the background, dividing a bunch of floating point numbers that would tell you at some point, "Congratulations! You've won or you've lost!" The icons reinforce that this isn't a complicated game.

This is exactly the reason why I canīt get myself to play a game like CtP2, modded or not. If I canīt even comprehend why my first city just grew from size 1 to size 2, growing an empire becomes pointless.

(Sorry if this is off-topic )
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old September 1, 2001, 05:28   #5
Alantus
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:00
Your welcome monkspider, only one T in the name however.

Rasputin I did warn you and I do feel your pain. I was a bit let down by the lack of discussion of Civ3 myself.

Lockstep, I probably shouldn't have put it in this forum however I'm scared of the other forums and thought it would be good reading for many here.

Everybody spells my name wrong, I'm not the lost city, I'm a dumb redneck
Alantus
Old September 1, 2001, 07:12   #6
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 14:00
You see, despite at first civ seeming an extraordinarily complex game, there is an inherent simplicity underneath the surface. This is half the appeal, and why CtP fell flat on it's face; things just seemed out of my control and that I would need a Kray and a degree in mathematics to figure out why it was doing certain stuff and when...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith