View Poll Results: Would you like to see Apolyton cover Colonization?
Yes 26 66.67%
No 13 33.33%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 28, 2001, 17:02   #31
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 15:00
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I've mannaged to play on som maps totally generated with my editor today. I've also found out that the maximum mapsize (Width*Height) is 12000 tiles. Each dimension can be very big (if the other is small, but I don't recomend that.)
Old September 28, 2001, 17:23   #32
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

I forgot to say that this size will allow a 69% bigger America map then the one included. (Keeping the same ratio.) (the default size it 58x72, playable 56x70)
Old September 29, 2001, 12:30   #33
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

I have a running beta version now. You may get it at http://thor.prohosting.com/~borgsmo/colmap.exe (1.52 MB). I may remove that file any time, so hurry up. Until I have a next big changes version I'll stick to upgrades that I think will be small enough to attach to the forum.
Oh, if you decide to try it out and finds out some bugs please report them to me. (I don’t care whether you use PM or post here, but I suggest that you use PMs if you don’t want to discuss the problem with other users (if any ). Also I’ll not respond to PMs unless I find a certain reason, but I’ll respond here and report the progress)
Old September 29, 2001, 14:50   #34
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Planned changes for the next upgrade:
Now I've used my editor for a while, and investigated the ability to add more features, and in the next upgrade I'll have an ability to place indian villages. I'll also try to add a function to save the map as a bitmap (not one that you can see as the map looks, but one that you can resize in a picture editor and import back into the game.)

Let's get some scenarios done then
With Scenarios Mark can't deny the game its own section ... wait, he's the admin, he can deny it.
Old October 2, 2001, 19:53   #35
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 14:00
Excellent, I will have a play with your col map editor tomorrow when I get home, although I don't have time now as I am off to bed. But a big

With stuff like this, how can we fail to get our own section?

Erm, quite easily actually

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old October 3, 2001, 10:41   #36
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
With stuff like this, how can we fail to get our own section?

Erm, quite easily actually
but we actually are 171 ppm of the community that actively discuss Colonization in this thread
Old October 5, 2001, 17:49   #37
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

I've added support for specifying the Indian villages now. Still no sign of the BMP thing, (as I haven't had time to look after my old QBasic program that could load a BMP (for the file format) :rolleyes) That will have to wait until a later update.
Now you have everything you need to create a scenario. (I do too)
I've been working to mush with the editor to create something right now.

Just download the attached zip-file and extract it in the folder ColMap is installed replacing old files.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip colmap_patch.zip (49.3 KB, 4 views)
Old October 5, 2001, 19:23   #38
Provost Harrison
Deity

Well I am downloading all the various stuff now, I will have a good play around with it and make some maps. I had a play with the original colonization map editor but it seemed very basic (that or I didn't know where everything was). So I will have a play with yours and see what it is capable of...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old October 12, 2001, 17:03   #39
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Have you made any cool map yet that you want to share with me?
Old October 20, 2001, 13:56   #40
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

I've fixed some minor bugs.

Note this file require both the old files (last patch and the original installation file)

Edit: This patch is no longer needed get <A HREF="http://apolyton.net/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=548630">patch3</A> instead

Last edited by Gramphos; October 21, 2001 at 14:41.
Old October 20, 2001, 14:16   #41
Provost Harrison
Deity

I will have a go with the new one. I have had a play with it, very good, but haven't really made any maps as such, just played with the world map to see how everything works

Old October 20, 2001, 15:26   #42
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Good to see that someone have downloaded them.

The bugs I fixed were.
1. If a read-only file were opened you had to close the app to be able to edit any file
2. Indian Villages can no longer be placed on water

A note on Colonization for Windows:
The map Amer2.mp is the America map, and it may be replaced, but the village locations will not change. Also some errors might occur, and I’ll look into it more later. One ability is to make a map and start it in colonization for DOS and save directly (You could ask someone that has the DOS version to start up a game with certain settings and save it for you).
I’ll see if I can look into the savegame format to allow construction of savegame files (that can be used as scenarios).
(It is the same format for DOS and Windows).

If anyone have looked into the format I would appreciate a list of what have been found out.
Old October 20, 2001, 15:44   #43
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

I was looking into the DLLs of Colonization for Windows to find a way to specify the villages in that version when I found this.

Quote:
@width=250
Ok, Ok, Ok, Ok, {this is going to test Brian's stupid popup code so I can debug it} and get it over with.
It is obvious that the one that wrote this didn't like Brian.
Old October 20, 2001, 15:53   #44
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Any one of you that have played colonization ever seen any of those strings within the game? They are in Game.txt as well as in the DLL.
Quote:
@COUNTRIES
the Holy Roman Empire
the Portuguese
the Ottoman Turks
the Barbary Pirates
Russia
Prussia
Sweden
Denmark
Also; anyone that have played Colonization for Windows:
Have you ever got this question?
Quote:
@width=240
Exit to DOS?( Ha Ha )

Yes
No
Old October 21, 2001, 07:04   #45
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
I was looking into the DLLs of Colonization for Windows to find a way to specify the villages
That reminds me, have you had the Arawak declaring themsleves the Tobacconist shop people?

What kind of weird bug is that?!?!?!
Old October 21, 2001, 07:30   #46
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Crunch
Quote:
I was looking into the DLLs of Colonization for Windows to find a way to specify the villages
That reminds me, have you had the Arawak declaring themsleves the Tobacconist shop people?

What kind of weird bug is that?!?!?!
No, I haven't but it sounds as if some strings are moved around.

Over at Civfanatics I found someone that have modified the savegame files to play hotseat. I wonder if there is a way to create a MP-patch for the game. Have someone tried that?
Old October 21, 2001, 10:01   #47
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

I've just finished the export function, and can now export the map into BMP-files. The attached image is an example of amer2.mp converted into a GIF.
I'll wait until I have made an import function before I publish the next patch.
Attached Images:

Old October 21, 2001, 13:27   #48
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Gramphos, you should get a website of your own and put this stuff on it. Assuming you have the time; I can certainly see you have the commitement.

I presume you don't currently have one, as your profile doesn't show one.
Old October 21, 2001, 14:29   #49
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Crunch
Gramphos, you should get a website of your own and put this stuff on it. Assuming you have the time; I can certainly see you have the commitement.

I presume you don't currently have one, as your profile doesn't show one.
Actually, I have a website in Swedish, but I haven't taken the time to create an English one. Also because I can't keep the same things right over it. But I'll think about it. I've now finished the import function and resized the America map to the biggest possible with the same ratio. I attach the map, and as soon as I've complied the editor I'll make a new patch. (I guess that it is time to update the installer soon.)
Attached Files:
File Type: zip amer3.zip (2.4 KB, 2 views)
Old October 21, 2001, 14:38   #50
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

The file is complied and finished.

You will not need the second patch to use this version. It is just the main-exe that is replaced. You can use this with patch1.

To the next upgrade I'll probably make both a ZIP and a new installer.

If you want any features added please notify me.

If nothing is said I'll work with an ability to edit the DLL of Colonization for Windows that contains the indian villages. I have Colonization for Windows version pi, and I don't know if there is any difference from earlier versions, but as I don't know the DLL-fileformat I have to use fixed addresses.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip colmap_patch3.zip (55.6 KB, 1 views)
Old October 21, 2001, 16:53   #51
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Just for Provost I've made a special version with included error trapper. Any error message that is received should be posted here. (the number is enough)

Note. This is the same version as the one before, except from some error handling that should help out finding bugs. It also contains the textfile again.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip colmap_errortraper.zip (56.7 KB, 5 views)
Old October 21, 2001, 18:45   #52
Provost Harrison
Deity

OK, got it and patched.

Reported:

Error: 53

File Not Found: C:\PROGRAM FILES\COLMAP\village.gif

There you go! I need a piccie

Old October 22, 2001, 09:13   #53
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
OK, got it and patched.

Reported:

Error: 53

File Not Found: C:\PROGRAM FILES\COLMAP\village.gif

There you go! I need a piccie
That image should be in the first patch. Abnyway, I attach it together with the other immage from the first patch. (I guess that you didn't get it)
Attached Files:
File Type: zip village.zip (546 Bytes, 2 views)
Old October 22, 2001, 14:37   #54
Provost Harrison
Deity

OK, I dunno where those two images went missing, I will try again!

Old October 22, 2001, 14:39   #55
Provost Harrison
Deity

Cool, works no problem now.

I have a suggestion

Try and make it so you can distinguish on the map one tribe from another straight from the map, either with a little letter over it, or a colour or something like that...

Old October 22, 2001, 14:55   #56
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
Cool, works no problem now.

I have a suggestion

Try and make it so you can distinguish on the map one tribe from another straight from the map, either with a little letter over it, or a color or something like that...
I tried to modify the pallet to change one color of the image, but VB didn't allow me to do it. I could place a char or something, but that would be hard to know what it was anyway. If you feel like it you can create one separate gif for each tribe. And modify colmap.txt to user other images then village.gif.
I'll look into it more, but I was to lazy last time I did it. Maybe should convert it into C++.

One thing I have to add: The forest placed village of each tribe will be the capital.

And you get two files when saving. If you want to load the Amer2.mp you have to copy tribes.txt into Amer2.mpp for ColMap to identify the villages.

Try out my big America map posted before.
Old October 29, 2001, 17:34   #57
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

New patch!
(Yes, I prommised an updated installer as well, nut it has to wait until I'm sure that the new feature works)

PH, as you requested I've added a mark to tell you what tribe each village is. Just download patch4 and try it out.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip colmap_patch4.zip (60.4 KB, 2 views)
Old October 30, 2001, 02:08   #58
tonic
King

Local Time: 13:00
If you find your downloads have risen, I'm the culprit. Having rediscovered Colonization I'm looking forward to finding out what your innovations are. Will report back.
Old October 30, 2001, 02:18   #59
tonic
King

Local Time: 13:00
I'm having trouble downloading your file: http://thor.prohosting.com/~borgsmo/colmap.exe

Any chance of checking on its currency?
Old October 30, 2001, 04:25   #60
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by tonic
I'm having trouble downloading your file: http://thor.prohosting.com/~borgsmo/colmap.exe

Any chance of checking on its currency?
You have to click on the link again after you get there.