Old September 1, 2001, 07:58   #1
jewlguy
Settler

Local Time: 08:00
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Where's my gate?
I've created a faction that has no radical modifiers "The Travelers" , except that it has a +1 economy and "found" technology -a psi gate at every base. But, to the point, I don't always get my gate when a base is captured. About 90% of the time a well built base will show the gate. During a retalitory invasion ( They're extremely protective and they don't like incursions or land grabbers)the only reason to keep some bases is the stratigic location of a gate. Their society does not toleratr a large military, so the gates are important. What is the criteria for a base to take on free facilities upon seizure? I've taken some bases that never "got the gate".
Old September 1, 2001, 12:12   #2
SerapisIV
King

Local Time: 08:00
Well, I'm not sure if its a bug or not, but I've had similar experiences. As the University, when capturing a base, I don't get free network nodes at bases. Also bases with built and captured nodes, I'm able to actually sell the nodes, something that you can't do at bases founded originally as University bases.

So I'd say that free facilities are only for founding bases, not captured bases.
Old September 1, 2001, 17:02   #3
Adalbertus
Prince

Local Time: 14:00
Sorry, I have no idea about creating new factions, but something just sprang in my mind: The mechanism works well for secret projects. You have CDF, and all conquered bases have their Perimeter Defense. Is it possible to create a "fake" secret project and assign it initially to the first base? OK, it is a problem if the faction looses this base, by conquest or as I once had my first base in Garland Crater, and I learnt this only in 2311 .
Old September 2, 2001, 01:45   #4
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 02:00
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Not directely related, but sometimes when capturing a Hive base it doesn't come with a perimeter defense - BUT, one of my other bases suddenly gets a free perimeter defense. So the game obviously gets confused about free facilities when capturing bases and sometimes puts them in the wrong base - prehaps when you capture the base a random AI base gets the psi gate instead, or prehaps it just gets "lost", this could happen if instead of giving the captured base a psi gate it gives one of your existing bases a psi gate - which would have no effect.
Old September 4, 2001, 15:20   #5
knowhow2
King

Local Time: 14:00
The free facilities is indeed confusing. Consider this: you are UoP and someone destroyed your only facility - the network node, then you let your enemy captured it in - the next turn you take it back - should you receive a FREE facility (network node) again?

Although the Hive Perimeter thing Blake mentioned also happened to me. Sometimes when I capture a Hive base without perimeter defense (lost due to probing) it suddenly reappear a new one! Why?

Btw the secret project thing is entirely different than "native" free facilities
Old September 4, 2001, 17:51   #6
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 02:00
Local Date: November 1, 2010
nuff said, the code for free facilities must be shoddy. Another inconsitency is if the enemy captures a uni base with the net node intact, and the uni captures it back they can then sell the net node. Or prehaps the enemy doesn't even need to capture the node intact for you to be able to sell it. This is a minor exploit which could be usfull in a hard uni challenge (let the enemy capture a base, capture back, sell node, repeat).