Old September 1, 2001, 13:37   #1
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 07:01
Local Date: October 31, 2010
How will espionage work in civ3?
Since the diplo and spy units are gone, how will espionage work in civ3? How will we sabotage, steal tech, etc from an enemy city?

I can only think of 2 possibilities:
1) espionage is done through the foreign advisor.
2) some military units can now also do espionage functions.
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old September 1, 2001, 14:00   #2
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 15:01
We will have to wait and se. Or ask the civ team.
Old September 1, 2001, 14:17   #3
Alfonsus72
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Multiplayer
Prince

Local Time: 13:01
Probably if you have citizens in another civ´s city (cause it was yours in the past or by inmigration) you could have information of that city (as the "see city" command of the diplomat/spy in Civ2).
Maybe the information you could have has something to do with your culture points.
But I´m not sure about that. We need official confirmation.
Old September 1, 2001, 15:00   #4
ajbera
Prince

I am also quite curious to see how this is implemented. It is possible that Firaxis has done something really cool with espionage, and are keeping it a surprise.

That said, a comment from a Firaxian either explaining the new espionage system, or a reassurance that some cool new steps in that direction have been made, would be nice. C'mon Dan, you know you wanna tell us.
Old September 1, 2001, 16:16   #5
Ralf
King

Local Time: 14:01
Quote:
Originally posted by The diplomat
1) espionage is done through the foreign advisor.
I hope its through a manager-screen - either above or through the diplomacy-screen. Both Diplomat-, Spy- and Caravan-units is really not needed. And the camel is dead - we know that already.
Old September 1, 2001, 16:26   #6
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 08:01
spam the civ team.

anyway, i think city-spacific attacks could eb done by right clicking on an nme city.
Old September 1, 2001, 16:50   #7
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
anyway, i think city-spacific attacks could eb done by right clicking on an nme city.
Well, the term 'nme city' was confusing at first, but then I grasped the wider context.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old September 1, 2001, 17:00   #8
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 15:01
Quote:
Originally posted by lockstep
Well, the term 'nme city' was confusing at first, but then I grasped the wider context.
The Spacific attacks is also a bit weird

I hope there is ways for espionage, so that they haven't removed it from the game.
Old September 1, 2001, 22:46   #9
jsw363
Prince

Local Time: 05:01
I really liked the diplomat/spy units. I thought that they had too much power. (Causing a city to revolt from its leader) But useful nonetheless. I don't think that I'd like a "spy ring" sort of where you allocate resources to espionage. Besides don't you need a diplomat to physically GO to another civ to establish an embassy. Of course we don't have any new info on this subject so it's pure speculation.
Old September 2, 2001, 04:52   #10
Ralf
King

Quote:
Originally posted by jsw363
Besides don't you need a diplomat to physically GO to another civ to establish an embassy.
No thanks! That should be an understatement. AI-controlled unit-navigation is one of the potential Archilles-heels in turnbased Civ-style games. Just look how a governor-controlled terraformer-unit executes its jobs in SMAC.

I say, put as many AI non-combat units as possible outside the enforced need of AI-pathfinding. They have already trashed the camel/freight, and by the looks of it; also the diplomat/spy. Good! (although they must still keep all above functions through appropriate screens, of course).
I can only hope that Civ-3 AI-workers are aided with some kind of automatic (but player-tweakable) emphazise terrain-improvement maturing-process when it comes to city-areas & resource-spots. And that available landareas is exploited more efficiently then in Civ-2 & SMAC - with more emphasize on coastal-cities, then working inwards. And with player map-edited potential AI-city placement beacons, making it easier to achieve optimal scenario AI-expansion city-foundations.

Any kind of "semi-cheats" and "AI-shortcuts" (in order to produce and strategical output reasonably on par with any veteran civ-player out there, on highest play-levels), are welcome here, since producing such an effective empire-infrastructure is absolutely vital, if the AI-civs shall ever stand a fighting chance.
Old September 2, 2001, 07:25   #11
CyberbugFredrik
Settler

I really loved all the actions that the spy was previously able to issue. Please, Firaxis, make spying and covert operations a vital and interesting part of the game.
Old September 2, 2001, 07:55   #12
tishco
Prince

maybe spys are like MoO 2
Old September 2, 2001, 08:12   #13
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ralf

Just look how a governor-controlled terraformer-unit executes its jobs in SMAC.
I hope that workers will at least be able to execute orders a la 'irrigate all grassland tiles within the radius of city XY'.

Quote:
I can only hope that Civ-3 AI-workers are aided with some kind of automatic (but player-tweakable) emphazise terrain-improvement maturing-process when it comes to city-areas & resource-spots.
Sounds like 'Public Works, but only for the AI'. Why not, as long as the human player has some chance to capture AI workers.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old September 2, 2001, 11:28   #14
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

It will probably be something like BotF.
Old September 2, 2001, 13:01   #15
dearmad
Prince

Has Firaxis confirmed no spies in the game? I don't recall this. I think they're going to be in it as units- it's silly of them to remove them from the game only because of bad pathfinding because they've saddled the AI with an even TOUGHER pathfinding dilemma than before: harvesting resources! That seems like it could be a challenge for the human player too!
Old September 2, 2001, 15:26   #16
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Diplomats and Spies are nowhere on the tech tree.
Old September 2, 2001, 16:45   #17
Master Marcus
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by tishco
maybe spys are like MoO 2
Oh, I hope NOT, I hope NOT! ( MOO2's a great classic of mine, I'm still playing it -again -, BUT forget about its spying engine ). Since the Civ3 team admitted to have used many cool features from SMAC(x), I guess we can anticipate some kind of infiltration based upon that in Civ3, but perhaps not via units since the espionage programming seems to be very limited.

Last edited by Master Marcus; September 2, 2001 at 16:52.
Old September 3, 2001, 00:25   #18
dearmad
Prince

Yes but Uberkrux that tech tree was incomplete, a LOT of units weren't in it... spaces were left open for it.

erg- all this speculation is getting to me...
Old September 3, 2001, 00:30   #19
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

markos, get Dan to step in.
Old September 4, 2001, 01:32   #20
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 21:01
I happen to like the way espionage is handled in MoO 1 and 2, very clean and easy to deal with. The Civ way is too many. I have enough units to deal with I don't want them diplomats and spys puzzing around.

The only thing that was good about diplos and/or spies is they make cheap exploring units.