Old March 16, 2001, 12:42   #1
George Garrett
Warlord

Local Time: 15:54
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Ere installing MPG, uninstall Civ2? If so, how ?
Neither of the respective manuals are helpful - the MPG book says not to add any files from Civ2 to the MPG, once installed (who would want to do this, anyway?)since "It will prevent the multiplayer edition from working".Neither Civ manual mentions uninstalling the game, as do many
other manuals of my gaming experience

I take this to mean that MPG won't work if Civ2 is already on the hard drive - a much more logical possibility.

At any rate, I decided to play it safe, and uninstall Civ2, but looked in vain for ways to do this. The only uninstalling advice that I could find was in my Windows 98 "Help" which was no help at all...it stated that it would uninstall only those programs shown in its add/remove programs folder-and Civ2 isn't shown there...it occurs to me, as I write, that this is because I transferred the CIv2 icon to my desktop when I first installed
the game, and my assumption was always that any program appearing on the desktop, also appeared in the Add/Remove folder, as does, for example, Railroad Tycoon2, another favourite game, but not so, in Civ2's case - perhaps I should try to send Civ2 from desktop to add/remove programs?
Afraid to do stuff in my ignorance, lest I muck up both games. Rally round, chaps!

I see that I have posted this in "Strategy" rather than "Help"...my apologies for this - you can tell how overwrought I am :-#
[This message has been edited by George Garrett (edited March 16, 2001).]
Old March 16, 2001, 14:04   #2
Campo
Warlord

Local Time: 18:54
You can install both versions. I have both on my PC and can play from either. Just make sure you install them into different folders. (I think that happens by default anyway.)

After they're installed, if you play with the CD in (for the extra effects) just be sure you have the right CD for each game.

FWIW, I installed MGE first and v2.42 later, but it should work either way.
Old March 16, 2001, 14:08   #3
solo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 23:54
I have installed all versions of CIV II on the same computer, and they all are functional. If you use the folder suggested during the installations (rather than specifying a location to install the game) a separate and differently named folder is used for each game, and game files for each game will be in their own separate folders. I have had a problem with the "pick music" feature, but I believe that has more to do with a problem of compatibility of 2.42 with Windows ME, and not because I have 3 versions of CIV II on my machine.

If you want to remove the old CIV II from your computer to save space you can do this manually by:

1) Use Windows explorer to go into the MPS folder (I assume you installed the game in the suggested location)
2) From there go into the CIV2 folder
3) Delete all the files in this folder
4) Go back to MPS and delete the CIV2 folder
5) Go back to C and delete the MPS folder
6) go to the WINDOWS folder and delete the file civ.ini, but be very careful not to delete anything else in this folder.

I also asked a question here about windows and no one seemed to mind we were in the strategy forum. Next time when I have a technical question I will just phrase it with the prefix, "What is your strategy for doing ...?" and will still post it here because the browsers here are so smart and knowledgeable.

------------------
It is more pleasant to live in the corner of a housetop,
than in a wide house with a brawling woman.
Old March 16, 2001, 14:40   #4
Campo
Warlord

I should have added for general information:

There are three ways to remove programs from a PC, in order of desirability:
1. Use the "uninstall" function, if one comes with a program.
2. Use the Microsoft "add/remove" utility, if the program shows up there.
3. Delete the program files.

Programs only show up in "add/remove" if they're designed to be compatible with it. Some new programs and a lot of older ones aren't.

Deleting the files is a last resort. It doesn't remove any registry entries the program may have made, but it gets the files off the disk. If the program shows up in the "Start" menu then you'd have to track down where it is to remove that. (Use the "Find" command.)
Old March 16, 2001, 17:38   #5
Paul
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 00:54
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Original Civ2 is a Windows 3.1 game, which means that it won't show up in "add/remove", since that was only added in Win95. So if you want to uninstall Civ2 you should just delete the Civ2 folder. But as the others already said, you can have both versions on your computer.
Old March 16, 2001, 21:14   #6
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Just to reinforce that which has been said above -- we both have 2.42, CiC, FW, MGE, ToT & CtP all installed simultaneously - there is no problem!

Just ignore the manual (who in h*ll reads it anyway) and install ahead!
Old March 16, 2001, 21:41   #7
George Garrett
Warlord

Thank you, friends!

Yes, Campo, I'll have to watch out on the occasions that I use the disk - only when I'm aiming for Apolyton - I've always presumed that one needs the disk in the drive in order to watch the progress of the spaceship construction.
I'm curious to know why you would install the 2.42 after MPG...does the former have something that the latter lacks?

Solo, I won't part with Civ2 if I don't have to - I'll uninstall some other
program, following the procedure that you so patiently outlined - I agree with what you say about those who browse this, and the "Help" forum - you ain't so shabby, yourself!

Paul, as a matter of interest, my Civ2 programwon't show up, on my Windows 98 display, even when it's in the drive ...I click on the CDROM icon, and it reads "Empty" - good job the computer doesn't believe that, for it plays the game, just the same

------------------Stop the presses! Scouse Gits just spoke! Scouse, your post came in while I was composing mine...yours was extra assurance which I also appreciate...would you believe that I'm an avid manual reader? - even BEFORE "All else fails?" Probably because the manuals talk a better game than the ones I play...thanks again, fellas

[This message has been edited by George Garrett (edited March 16, 2001).]
Old March 17, 2001, 18:04   #8
solo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

George - I did it all backwards. First I got ToT, which lacked wonder movies and a map editor, which I had liked on a friend's MGE, so then I got that, but after reading many comments in posts here that diplomacy was more pleasant and realistic in 2.42, I got that. True enough, the AI are much easier to get along with. I guess in later versions of the game they decided the AI were too easy to beat, so instead of making them smarter (which is what they should have done) they just made them nastier and more arbitrary in their dealings with the human player, but still just about as easy to beat, which was not an improvement at all. However, I got 2.42 mainly to see how much more tribute and gifts I could get from the AI in OCC games. I want any advantage I can think of to beat the princess of OCC comparison games, who still uses MGE!
Old March 18, 2001, 11:51   #9
George Garrett
Warlord

Hi Solo,
Your last post was helpful in throwing some light on whether or not to get TofT, somewhere down the road...that, along with comments from other posters, from time to time, persuades me to stick with 2.42 and MPG, until Civ3 comes along....that should be a handful for any man - yet you want to take on the Princess? Good luck!:-)

------------------
Old March 19, 2001, 14:01   #10
Campo
Warlord

quote:

Originally posted by George Garrett on 03-16-2001 08:41 PM
Yes, Campo, I'll have to watch out on the occasions that I use the disk - only when I'm aiming for Apolyton - I've always presumed that one needs the disk in the drive in order to watch the progress of the spaceship construction.
I'm curious to know why you would install the 2.42 after MPG...does the former have something that the latter lacks?

Actually you don't need the CD to monitor spaceship construction progress.

My answer to the second question is the same as Solo's. I got MGE first, but I got tired of the incessant animosity of the AI. Eventually they all turn against you (if you're winning), but 2.42 is much more pleasant in the early stages of the game.

Old March 19, 2001, 16:00   #11
George Garrett
Warlord

Hi Campo...thanks for the CD info...I still haven't got around to playing on my newly-acquired MPG, yet...still cant tear myself away from Civ2.
I expect to win friends and influence pixels when I do play it, despite your dark warnings...I'm such a lovable loser!