Old October 20, 2001, 16:50   #61
Rakki
Warlord

Local Time: 23:02
Local Date: October 31, 2010
usually i try to use real world strategies in a game... or explain a game strategy with reference to real world history...

but this entire thing only works IF you have played the game or understands the game's mechanics....
Old October 20, 2001, 19:38   #62
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 09:02
I opened my Outlook Express inbox today, and what do I find?- this d^mn thread moving again!!

Thanx alot Rakki!

:sigh: ... now where were we?
Old October 20, 2001, 19:50   #63
Darkknight
NationStates
Prince

Local Time: 13:02
I had a weird dream about civ3 last night. I was in England (I'm from Ireland) but my brotherrs apartment was there ( The apartment usually lives in dublin) and at some stage I was walking along a part of a coast I know in the west of France.
Anyway I went into a game shop on Oct 30 and I started looking for the game but no... I kept on seeing 3 and III on all the boxes but it kept on being Quake 3 or Baldurs gate III (??) and MOO3. I just couldn't find it.
I have never gotten to play civ3 even in my dreams. I just hope to god I cant see into the future.
My GOD massive continental shifts civ3 not released in UK.
Oh and just remebered another thing about it. I came home to find my brother playing it on his computer but he wouldn't let me play which was just so ****ing annoying (heh I can type that now it's censored)
Old October 20, 2001, 20:32   #64
Mars
Prince

Local Time: 08:02
Quote:
Originally posted by SSBLoveU
I would suggest one to try to make an outpost before commenting on it. I am happy to read that some people have tried this and found it useful. I always try to find a peaceful situation to winning. I am not looking for war. However, I find it annoying how people and AI attack outposts instead of trading with it or finding a peaceful solution. I was hoping the same aggressive tendencies do not occur again in Civilization III, but I feel that there will always be some civilizations who will discover an outpost and become paranoid.
From my understanding of what the great people at Friaxis have said is that a peaceful solution to winning the game is quite a viable one. And that the AI won't attack you for no reason whatsoever. Hope the info isn't too late for you
Old October 20, 2001, 20:47   #65
jdd2007
NationStates
King

not THIS AGAIN!!!!
Old October 20, 2001, 20:48   #66
HalfLotus
Never Ending Stories
King

This thread is sapping my lifeforce.
Old October 20, 2001, 21:37   #67
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 00:02
Local Date: November 1, 2010
We must kill this thread, before it destroys us all!!!!!!

"Outposts David, outposts!!"

ARRGGHHHGHHH!!!!!!!
Old October 20, 2001, 22:19   #68
Mars
Prince

stop going to it if you have problems with it
Old October 20, 2001, 23:26   #69
Falconius
Prince

My outpost is protected by armies of Pillsbury Dough-boys who shoot bolts of electricity from their eyes. It's really a sight to behold.

I hereby promise never to post on this thread again as long as I never see it on the top page again (which means we all have to stop).
Old October 21, 2001, 04:10   #70
Rakki
Warlord

Local Time: 23:02
I have an outpost
it's built on a hill
it's got soldiers in it
far away from home.

it's connected by rail
that runs down the hill
sending soldiers along it
far away from home

when the enemy comes
to outpost on the hill
i bury the enemy
far away from home

:
Old October 21, 2001, 09:26   #71
Chronus
Prince

Actually, I find it quite funny that such an insignificant thread keeps coming back to life.
Old October 21, 2001, 21:59   #72
SSBLoveU
Warlord

Strategy makes the game more interesting. In real life, most friendly nations will allow some type of an outpost. Outposts on hills are really good. Underground outposts are good too. I like to put a few on islands too, and so on.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rakki
usually i try to use real world strategies in a game... or explain a game strategy with reference to real world history...

but this entire thing only works IF you have played the game or understands the game's mechanics....
Old October 21, 2001, 22:23   #73
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Choop!
Well, since there isn't much else to talk about here at CivIII forum, I am going to attempt to legitimize this thread:

The fortresses will be much more important in CivIII than they have been in past CIV games. One of the biggest reasons is because, unlike most units, the fortresses do exert a 'zone of control'. If for any reason, this by itself (along with the usual defense bonuses incurred) should be enough for any player to build and protect these.

But one of the problems I always had with building fortresses was the possibility of enemy forces taking them over, and using them against me. But now, it looks like the benefits outweigh the disadvantages for fortresses.
Old October 21, 2001, 23:18   #74
vincentz
Chieftain

I have a slight feeling that SSB has a small misconception of Civ3. I will try to clear it up for SSB:

Civ3 is a turn-based strategy game.

There is no object or specific definition in the game of an outpost.
If you are thinking of a bunch of lazy phalanxes bunched together in a fortress that is fine. This, since it involves military units, will have to be neatly placed on your side of an eventual border. There is no trading, taxing, building or any other action words to do in "outposts" except defending.

Therefore there is not point in setting up outpost than to defend a pass, some terratory or just being an ******* in the eyes of the rest. Setting up an "outpost" on an island will do you as much good as giving money to Rodger's Clandestite Fly Swatting Company the day after it went bankrupt, unless your intention is to prevent an eventual enemy putting his pathetic city on the island.

That's my 3214 cents,

Vincentz
Old October 21, 2001, 23:34   #75
KrazyHorse
Deity

I have a slight feeling that SSB doesn't give a damn whether or not he makes any sense. Either that, or he's posting from the looney bin.

Get it through your skull, SSB: there are no such functional entities as "outposts" in Civ 3. There are especially no such thing as "underground outposts". Your comments (and this entire thread) are a mass of useless spam. If I had some sort of neuronic device that could reach through your computer screen and prevent you from ever posting here again, I would do it in a heartbeat. I would do it even if there was a chance that said beam would fry your brain, and leave you as a quivering hulk, the shadow of the man you used to be. Hell, I'd do it even if it were a certainty. Do you even know what the civilization series is? Do you have any clue as to its most fundamental concepts? I don't really think you do, so do everybody a favour and learn something before you post again.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old October 23, 2001, 12:59   #76
HalfLotus
Never Ending Stories
King

I hope Civ3 has lots of outposts.
Old October 23, 2001, 21:42   #77
Falconius
Prince

Outpost?
Out, post!
What's this post about, host?
It has less clout than most.
May as well be about ghosts.
About as tasty as kraut on toast.
Time to make this lout pout, host!

Yeah, dig it daddy-o
Old October 23, 2001, 22:24   #78
HalfLotus
Never Ending Stories
King

I hope there are lots of ways to protect my outpost in Civ3.
Old October 23, 2001, 22:49   #79
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 00:02
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by HalfLotus
I hope there are lots of ways to protect my outpost in Civ3.
You can protect outposts 3 ways:

1. Put a defensive force inside/on top of the colony
2. Proactive - Put a (many) roaming attack unit outside the colony and kill any units that go near it.
3. Diplomatic - If you dont have any enemies, your outpost wont be attacked (by other civs, anyway)

Now that thats settled, LET THIS THREAD DIE ALREADY!!!
Old October 23, 2001, 23:04   #80
HalfLotus
Never Ending Stories
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns

You can protect outposts 3 ways:

1. Put a defensive force inside/on top of the colony
2. Proactive - Put a (many) roaming attack unit outside the colony and kill any units that go near it.
3. Diplomatic - If you dont have any enemies, your outpost wont be attacked (by other civs, anyway)

Now that thats settled, LET THIS THREAD DIE ALREADY!!!
But I wanted 4 different ways to PROTECT MY OUTPOST.
Old October 23, 2001, 23:15   #81
Chronus
Prince

Quote:
But one of the problems I always had with building fortresses was the possibility of enemy forces taking them over, and using them against me.
Well, obviously it's too late but perhaps fortresses could be automatically destroyed whenever an enemy enters the square . . . unless, of course, it was empty to begin with.

Quote:
If I had some sort of neuronic device that could reach through your computer screen and prevent you from ever posting here again, I would do it in a heartbeat.
Why? At first I thought you were joking but then the venom kept coming. Why not just ignore the thread?