Old September 4, 2001, 20:17   #31
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 14:03
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Kyller
So what regular unit do you think the cossack will replace?
Dragoon or cavalry I would expect...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old September 4, 2001, 22:21   #32
TVA22
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:03
It's not Bismark
I don't have a scanner, sorry, but if any of you have seen the magazine article in "Computer Games" where these pics came from, there is a colage in the front with leader/diplomacy pics from all 3 games.

The leader in question is in fact Lenin, because in the colage, he's the same guy that's right next to one of those famous Soviet propaganda paintings with Lenin and the hammer and sickle all in reds and oranges. Again, I'm sorry I can't post the colage on here, but if anybody will just look at the article on a magazine rack somewhere, it's quite obvious.
Old September 4, 2001, 22:34   #33
Daoloth
Settler

Local Time: 07:03
Maybe the guy you saw was Stalin, he kinda resembles Bismarck, but I doubt it's Lenin. Lenin was bald most his life and had red hair and a goatee. Here's a link to some Lenin pics:

http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Senate/6174/
Old September 5, 2001, 01:41   #34
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Local Time: 08:03
To all who asked, there are no more UU mentioned in the article, sorry!
But i really can't see that being anyone other than Bismarck. It can't be a Russian leader, as Catherine the Great already holds that honor. It has to be a German..or possibly a Persian theoretically. But I would wager any ammount of money that it is indeed "The man of blood and iron"
Old September 5, 2001, 02:08   #35
Leonidas
King

Is it Bismarck or isn't it? You be the judge.

In-game image:

Real picture of Bismarck:

Bismarck again, this time imitating Darth Vader (jazzy looking helmet ain't it):

Now we know why Bismarck was such a hit with all the frauleins - who could resist a guy wearing a helmet like that

Last edited by Leonidas; September 5, 2001 at 02:19.
Old September 5, 2001, 02:38   #36
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Local Time: 08:03
Quote:
Originally posted by Leonidas

Now we know why Bismarck was such a hit with all the frauleins - who could resist a guy wearing a helmet like that
LOL, how true. Germany always seems to have an equisite sense of military fashion. Those long overcoats on officers and the Aero-dynamic foot-soldier's helmet from WW II? Positively tres' bien!

We americans get stuck with boring, bland military paraphanelia. Who wants to fight for a country with such bad taste in fashion?

In any event, I think it's safe to say that it is indeed good ol' Otto. I think he is a great choice IMHO.
Old September 5, 2001, 03:25   #37
Kenobi
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:03
Quote:
Originally posted by redfox74
Ukraine (alternative historic name: Small Russia), Russia (Great Russia) and White Russia (Belarus) are three sister nations. Their first state was a common one: The Kievan Rus.

There are many cultural similarities between these people. Therefore they are unified in Civ series as "Russians". Kiev and Minsk are "Russian" cities, why can't the cossack be the Russian UU?

Cossacks weren't only Ukrainians. Cossacks were a mix of free people who lived on and beyond the Russian frontier. There were a lot of fugitive Russian peasants (former serfs) between them.

Besides the Ukrainian cossacks there were cossacks on the southern and eastern frontier of Russia: Caucasus, Ural, Siberia, Far East. They weren't Ukrainians.
Exactly. The Russian word for cossack is "Kazak" (as in Kazakhstan...), and they were free Greater Russians who lived outside of the Muscovite core. They definitely lived in Ukraine, but remember that the word Ukraine is derived from the Russian for "on/in/near the border" ("u kraina"). They were gradually co-opted into the Russian military by the Tsars as elite cavalry border troops. Not only were they used in the conquest of Siberia, the Caucasus and Central Asia, but they also settled their families in military colonies in these border regions.

They are the perfect choice for the Russian UU - Russian elite cavalry.
Old September 5, 2001, 03:35   #38
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 15:03
Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
While giving the Russians T-34's would be appropriate, you then wouldnt be able to have a Panzer as the Germans UU. And what else could you give the Germans??
volkswagen beetles or if you want a serious answer, stukas....
Old September 5, 2001, 13:13   #39
redfox74
Settler

The leader is 100% Otto von Bismarck. The flag on his left is the famous "Reichskriegsflagge" (white with black cross, german eagle in the middle and a little red-white-black tricolore in the corner).[IMG]c:\temp\fl_dr6.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by redfox74; September 5, 2001 at 13:22.
Old September 5, 2001, 18:33   #40
Adm.Naismith
King

quote:

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
While giving the Russians T-34's would be appropriate, you then wouldnt be able to have a Panzer as the Germans UU. And what else could you give the Germans??

Quote:
Originally posted by LaRusso

volkswagen beetles or if you want a serious answer, stukas....
for volkswagen

Stuka is a bad choice: very famous but a bad plane that worked well only in first part of WWII, west front, where the French and English fighters where outnumbered by german fighters, and resisted until the last part on the east front, mainly as an antitank weapon.

They had plenty of great weapons: Fokker fighter during WWI (I know Fokker come from Netherland, but german famous pilots used they to the best), Me 109 or (better, still less know from not dedicated people) FW 190.

Still, the greatest weapon they build where the V1 (first "cruise missile", in Civ meaning) and the V2 (first ballistic missile, no equivalent in Civ II).
"We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
- Admiral Naismith
Old September 6, 2001, 01:41   #41
Leonidas
King

The german tactics of Blitzkrieg relied on a lightning fast strike by a combined arms approach using the tank, plane, and artillery. For the first couple of years of the war, most of Germany's tanks were outgunned by Soviet, French, and British tanks.

The success of German victories relied on tactics, and less on "special weapons". However, the one strong unit that could have won the war for them (or at least could have delayed D-Day for another year) was the U-boat.

For such a small number of boats (65 at the start of the war), they were the terror of the Atlantic and later a terror along the east coast of Canada and the US in Operation Drumbeat and thereafter.

The unique unit for the Germans? My vote is the U-boat. However, this will never happen, because it relies on an ocean strategy, and it probably isn't cool enough vs a tank or plane unit.

But what the hey - it's worth a shot, right?
Old September 6, 2001, 03:38   #42
LaRusso
King

Quote:
[SIZE=1]
Stuka is a bad choice: very famous but a bad plane that worked well only in first part of WWII, west front, where the French and English fighters where outnumbered by german fighters, and resisted until the last part on the east front, mainly as an antitank weapon.
Sure It's just that it's all about flavor. I remember Civ2 fascist mod and Stukas were really cool. I reckon that's one historical misperception I can live with
Old September 6, 2001, 09:45   #43
Adm.Naismith
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Leonidas
The unique unit for the Germans? My vote is the U-boat.

However, this will never happen, because it relies on an ocean strategy, and it probably isn't cool enough vs a tank or plane unit.
Sure! How can U-boat slipped out of my mind? You are right twice, too: submarine is less relevant in Civ terms (AFAIK), but mostly because Civ doesn't consider Supply Line and the need for Cargo Convoy of resources - at least, not at the same level of WWI and WWII between USA/Canada and Europe/USSR.

LaRusso, I see your point now.

BTW, I never tried the MOD you mention, so I haven't Civ II Stukas in my memory
"We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
- Admiral Naismith
Old September 6, 2001, 09:51   #44
LaRusso
King

It was a really cool mod, Admiral. Stukas, fascism and stormtroopers were in plus you could build Heavy Armor to obliterate puny democracies. Upkeep of troopers was almost free. I produced them like crazy....

Old September 7, 2001, 05:21   #45
Deathwalker
Prince

I think it's Bismark as the German leader
And the German special Unit should be the Panzer, I know they had Stukas and U Boats, But it was there tanks and use of them that nearley won the war.
Old September 7, 2001, 05:48   #46
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 21:03
The early German panzers were comparable to French and British ones but way inferior to the Soviets ones. In fact, if the Soviets didn't use their tanks that badly in the beginning of Barbarosa the Germans could be in lots of trouble.
Old September 7, 2001, 06:20   #47
LaRusso
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
The early German panzers were comparable to French and British ones but way inferior to the Soviets ones. In fact, if the Soviets didn't use their tanks that badly in the beginning of Barbarosa the Germans could be in lots of trouble.
soviet tank groups had a very small portion of modern tanks at the beginning. where they had them, like in grodno, the battle was tough.