Old September 3, 2001, 19:02   #1
Sandman
King

Local Time: 14:03
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Violent Revolutions
Are revolutions still going to work in the same way as civ 1 and 2?

I always thought that they were too easy. A few turns of anarchy was a small price to pay for a more efficient system of government. The revolution left your civ relatively unscarred.

I want counter-revolutionaries seizing control of some of my empires cities and forcing a long civil war. The player is forced to make a genuine decision between an inferior system of government or a long drawn out conflict which could doom their civilisation. Smaller empires will of course have an easier time with revolutions, providing a antidote to 'the strong get even stronger' problem.

If you wanted to change back to say, monarchy, after trying a republic, then the counter-revolutionaries will automatically revert back to your control.

If you wished to end the conflict, you could negotiate a truce and the counter-revolutionaries would turn into a mini-civ, probably to be eventually absorbed by your culture.

Finally, when your government changes, alliances and other pacts would have to be renegotiated and you could ditch alliances without diplomatic penalties.

Not much has been said about revolutions so far, so maybe, just maybe, firaxis have put in a more elaborate system (fingers crossed).
Old September 3, 2001, 19:14   #2
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Nah, this is a game, and revolution is the method you undertake to change government...I don't think it should be any worse than anarchy for a brief spell...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old September 3, 2001, 22:59   #3
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Local Time: 08:03
That would be a great idea sandman, perhaps a highly skilled mod-maker can one day implement something similar to this. A system along these lines would do well to help implement a feeling of "Rise and fall of empires" in the game. Which is something i have been so desperate for.
Old September 3, 2001, 23:29   #4
jsw363
Prince

Local Time: 05:03
I always thought that revolutions were a bit unrealistic too, but with civil disorder doesn't that make up for the unhappiness in the civil war? It would be really cool if there were more severe reprocussions to a government switch, but I'd like to focus on killing my enemy and not my own people in a civil war. A rival faction or two within your own empire would spice things up a bit.
Old September 3, 2001, 23:47   #5
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 13:03
I like the idea, even if it where something as simple as slaping down some barbarian partisans around your larger cities I think it would add alot.

Remember that the Religon bonus ellimantes anarchy between goverments, so there may need to be some tweaking to even things out, aswell.
Old September 4, 2001, 04:59   #6
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 00:03
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Nice idea, Sandman

Perhaps instead of some out-lying cities reverting to counter-revolutionary control, you could have in all your cities (depending upon its cultural value) a certain number of population becomming "unassimilated" people... unproductive and disruptive, like when you conquer another civilization's cities. This would cause small problems for small civs, and bigger problems for bigger civs, which we all like
Old September 4, 2001, 05:23   #7
gremalkin
Chieftain

Great idea! Could go a long way toward making huge civs not such a winning prospect.
Old September 4, 2001, 07:50   #8
Alfonsus72
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Multiplayer
Prince

Good idea. I totally agree. Itīs the kind of ideas weīve been posting in the wish list the last couples of years, but Iīm afraid firaxis wonīt go this way, cause they want a game friendly to play to anyone, specially to "age of empires" and such games aficionados , and such details (which are the more demanded for the civfanatics) are out of their plans.

In the same way goes the idea of the "neutral civilization" instead of barbarians, a civ that could have common reseach, but with every city managing itself with autonomy (as small states), and players could peacefully (a la Imperialism) incorporate that cities in their civ, by cultural/commercial influence.
Old September 4, 2001, 18:57   #9
Sandman
King

Going over the idea again, some issues raise themselves.

Supposing you change from monarchy to republic. The loyal monarchists will have a military advantage over the republicans.

I had previously thought that it should be guaranteed that your rebels seize the capital. But this could be abused by heaping all your military units into the capital prior to the revolution. So not even your capital would be safe from counter-revolutionaries. Although a revolutionary capital should be a reasonable bet.

Should rebel cities be totally random, just on the outskirts of your empire, or decided in a more obscure way? Like cities with factories being more likely to become/remain communist.

Remembering the religion special ability: Looks like the revolution system is the same as always. Oh well. It's fun to speculate. Maybe civ4?
Old September 4, 2001, 19:15   #10
TechWins
King

Local Time: 06:03
Stuff like this has been discussed before. I for one am glad that Firaxis decided to keep Civ3 fun by not including anything like this (at least it appears as if they didn't). It doesn't add much fun at all. Lets keep Civ fun and have Alt. Civ's or mod creators make complex situations like this be in the game just to make the game complex, even though it makes gameplay worse.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old September 4, 2001, 19:41   #11
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 08:03
eh. you can't have civs breaking into pieces over and over. i think the enroaching culture deal will be sufficient.
Old September 4, 2001, 20:01   #12
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandman
Remembering the religion special ability: Looks like the revolution system is the same as always. Oh well. It's fun to speculate. Maybe civ4?
Domestic politics were included only nominal in Civ and Civ2 (unhappy citizens, senate), and nothing we know about Civ3 so far indicates a change. (And while SMACīs Social Engineering was viewed as superior to Civīs governments by some members of Apolyton, it did not improve the revolution system either.)

As a matter of principle, I like the idea that during revolutions or prolonged wars, some part of my empire may try to split off and establish itself as a new civ. However, I donīt like random factors that decide which part tries to split off. After all, this is no natural disaster a la Civīs earthquakes. If I lose one third of my prospering cities to seceders, this should be only the result of subjacent differences and tensions that were already there before.

To model this in Civ, youīd probably need local underlings that you could piss off by seemingly wrong decisions. Internal factions and struggles. The whole domestic politics stuff. I donīt think thatīs going to happen in Civ3. Maybe in Civ4 if thereīs such a thing. (And, if Quicksilver delivers as promised, in Master of Orion 3).
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW