Old September 4, 2001, 15:46   #31
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 15:03
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Re: Re: Re: Who else is worried that Civ3 will be too different from civ2?
Quote:
Originally posted by GP
And the movies and advisors gave the game a special feel when I was a newbie. I could do without them now...but doesn't Sid want to attract new players?
So he makes something that isn't common for all games. That can attract new players that are bored of the standard game
Old September 4, 2001, 16:08   #32
Admiral PJ
PtWDG Lux Invicta
Prince

Local Time: 13:03
There are advisors in civ3, at least 1, and the computer generated actors probably act better than their real world counterparts would be able to
Old September 4, 2001, 16:23   #33
tuckson
Warlord

Local Time: 14:03
Quote:
hopefully 4 will be a full3D game with realtime battle scenes
Oh No,

For Heavens sake, NO 3D
Anything, but not that...

-------------------------------><------------------------------

Last edited by tuckson; September 4, 2001 at 16:31.
Old September 4, 2001, 18:11   #34
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 14:03
Quote:
Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave
Civ 3 is a conservative sequel... so the whol egame was not revamped in the search of a revolution... the changes that were made seem to be good, and they are definitley not too different from civ II. I guess this will be civ II with few major new fetatures (resources/ culture/ special units), and ther rest is just made better ( graphics/ trade/war/ AI -I guess).
While not revolutional, Civ3 IMO includes quite a lot of new features. Some things I´ve spotted so far from the numerous previews (and I´m talking only about gameplay):
  • Major new features: Resources, culture, civ-specific abilities, armies, borders, enhanced diplomacy, alternate paths to victory.
  • Minor new features (excerpt): Settlers vs. workers, revised movement and ZOC rules, revised military support, ranged weapons, war-time economy, minor wonders, build queues.
If this constitutes a conservative sequel, Civ2 should be termed an expansion pack.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old September 4, 2001, 18:44   #35
PGM
Prince

Great post, paiktis22.
I was going to post something like that, but after I read it I just wanted to lean back and smile.
It's really sad when some people start putting down CIV3 without even taking the time to collect minimal information about it, criticizing great aspects of the game or stuff that's not even in it! Attitude and ignorance is a dangerous combination.
BTW, good luck to Panathinaikos this year.
Old September 4, 2001, 18:49   #36
Edward
Warlord

Local Time: 08:03
Quote:
Originally posted by Admiral PJ
There are advisors in civ3, at least 1, and the computer generated actors probably act better than their real world counterparts would be able to
I cannot disagree with you more. Every single computer generated actor, from Civ2's animated heralds to the stills I've seen of Civ3's leaders, looks terrible. I had to turn off the Civ2 heralds they were so bad. While the Civ2 advisors were useless advice-wise, I they were entertaining and looked great. (And I'm not just talking about the foreign advisor!). I think adding the live actors was a dramatic improvement over the computer generated stuff. The actors not only looked better, but were better able to convey different personalities to me.

I can't imagine a computer-generated "actor" can act better than a real one. I certainly got more out of the real ones. Now if you argue that the computer generated ones are easier or less expensive to create, modify, and seamlessly segue; then I'd agree. But a better final product?! No no no!

I'm going to harass Firaxis when they start Civ4 to switch entirely to real actors for advisors and leaders. I'd much rather watch the Civ2 military advisor shout demands of my civ than some animated herald. I'd much rather watch that slimy trade advisor propose a bad deal on the trade screen than some grinning computer-generated Montezuma. I'd love it if Firaxis hired a different actor for each civilization and gave each a distinct personality or character to play.

All my opinion of course.
Old September 4, 2001, 18:50   #37
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 15:03
Quote:
Originally posted by PGM
Great post, paiktis22.
I was going to post something like that, but after I read it I just wanted to lean back and smile.
It's really sad when some people start putting down CIV3 without even taking the time to collect minimal information about it, criticizing great aspects of the game or stuff that's not even in it! Attitude and ignorance is a dangerous combination.
BTW, good luck to Panathinaikos this year.
NAH! GP and I are good forum friends and we tease each other once in a while

I think his whole post was made out of the frustration an old man feels when things are moving forward and he can't follow, feels lost etc

THANKS about Panathinaikos!!
Old September 4, 2001, 19:02   #38
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 00:03
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Edward
I'm going to harass Firaxis when they start Civ4 to switch entirely to real actors for advisors and leaders. I'd much rather watch the Civ2 military advisor shout demands of my civ than some animated herald. I'd much rather watch that slimy trade advisor propose a bad deal on the trade screen than some grinning computer-generated Montezuma. I'd love it if Firaxis hired a different actor for each civilization and gave each a distinct personality or character to play.
That i couldnt agree with more Once Firaxis switches to Civ 4, ill join you in demanding real actors!! Although i think ive figured out why they went with all computer-genterated's... Remember in Civ 2, they had to actually interview all the Elvis impersonators!!! Poor Firaxis
Old September 4, 2001, 21:21   #39
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 03:03
Paiktis...we can't all be nubile, young Greek boys.

-Salty old man
Old September 5, 2001, 13:55   #40
tishco
Prince

1 no camel
2 good advice