Old September 8, 2001, 15:52   #31
Avenoct
Prince

Local Time: 08:03
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Scipio, the four basic scenarios focus on survival only. Or I should say, winning the game from that position. Each scenario introduces the player to a new AI faction and all are meant to be played as the Planetlovers, though any will do. In a sense, scenarios 1-4 are the framework of the story 'Aldebaran'. They should all be more difficult than a random game, but are definately not 'Challenge' games. As with most things Aldebaran, I've focused on getting the skeleton functional and will flesh it out as the story develops and as all the skeletal mechanics are smoothed out.

-Smack

P.S. If anyone would like to write a scenario or three for Aldebaran, I more than welcome it and will post them on the website. I can probably reveal the plot-outline to you without spoiling the upcoming story-segments too much. **Ducks from Kass**
Old September 9, 2001, 00:15   #32
gwillybj
Prince

Local Time: 09:03
Location: Eurytion Mining Camp: 100°C dayside, 100°F nightside.
in the "/voices" folder
Quote:
Originally posted by Smack
I'll look into finding the pattern for soundfiles->techs
-Smack
The numbers in the mp3 filenames coincide with the programmed facility and technology numbers identified in "Blurbs.txt", "TECHLONGS.txt", and "TECHSHORTS.txt", thus:
  • "fac1.mp3" is for facility #1 (Headquarters), "fac2.mp3" is for facility #2 (Children's Creche), "fac3.mp3" is for facility #3 (Recycling Tanks), etc.
  • "tech0.mp3" is for technology #0 (Biogenetics), "tech1.mp3" is for technology #1 (Industrial Base), "tech2.mp3" is for technology #2 (Information Networks), etc.
  • For technologies you added in place of "User Technology 0" through "User Technology 9" the codes are "078" through "087".
  • For Secret Projects, there are no separate mp3 files. Those voices are integral to the video (".wve") files in the "/movies" folder.
You can use these numbers to find the corresponding "merit badge" (.pcx) graphics in the "/facs", "/projs", and "/techs" folders.

Last edited by gwillybj; September 9, 2001 at 00:20.
gwillybj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2001, 00:41   #33
Avenoct
Prince

Thanks Gwillybj,

By the way, what do you mean by 'merit badge (pcx) graphics files'? I'm not a graphics type person, so I won't pretend I even know what kind of file pcx really are. They make handy pictures, but why not a jpeg or gif?

Speaking of graphics, added a few to the web page.

-Smack
Old September 9, 2001, 01:30   #34
gwillybj
Prince

Local Time: 09:03
Location: Eurytion Mining Camp: 100°C dayside, 100°F nightside.
merit badges
They are the symbols you see in the Datalinks when you lookup the technologies and facilities. They remind me of Boy Scout merit badges because they are so basic but still make sense.
I can't say for sure why pcx graphics were used, but it has something to do with the program being able to cut-out a specific piece of the whole image and paste it where it needs to be. AFAIK, pcx predates jpeg, and gif isn't suitable (just guessing in both cases).
The unfortunate thing for us economically-challenged faction customizers is it's nearly impossible to find a freeware or shareware editor for pcx (but that's a different topic, and it has been considered in other threads here).
gwillybj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2001, 08:58   #35
SITS
King

Local Time: 13:03
Cheers gwillybj!

I've done a few files but I'm waiting for Smacks email address....
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
SITS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2001, 12:09   #36
Avenoct
Prince

SITS,

Got the wav files and they sound great! I'll post a few to the website. I particularily like your elocution of the phrase 'muck about in the water' from tech4.wav. Douglas Adams with an English accent is just perfect .

[Edit: Posted my favorite on the page..will add a zipped download of the first 10 tech-voiceovers soon]

-Smack

Last edited by Avenoct; September 9, 2001 at 18:52.
Avenoct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2001, 12:12   #37
SITS
King

Local Time: 13:03
Cheers! I will try and do some more over the next few days...
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
SITS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2001, 22:48   #38
Avenoct
Prince

You can hear SITS talk about dolphins on the website...its rather well done!

The networknode (www.networknode.org) is now mirroring the downloads if any have trouble getting them past the Yahoo Police.

-Smack
Old September 19, 2001, 10:01   #39
Avenoct
Prince

As you can see by some of the scenarios posted here in the Creation threads, I'm currently working toward a 'no-install' theme for future developments. Apparently the hassle of installing files and uninstalling impedes some people's enjoyment of game variants.

In fact, if you load the scenario 'Foothold' you have the Aldebaran engine. By turning on the scenario editor after loading that scenario you can proceed to play random or scenario games by resaving a new scenario then back into the Foothold folder and playing it as a scenario from the game menu.

I think this will greatly ease the use of game variants in the future, and I plan to point out this functionality on the website soon.

-Smack
Old September 21, 2001, 13:49   #40
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 16:03
I just found this thread *bangs himself to head
Quote:
Originally posted by Smack
P.S. If anyone would like to write a scenario or three for Aldebaran, I more than welcome it and will post them on the website. I can probably reveal the plot-outline to you without spoiling the upcoming story-segments too much. **Ducks from Kass**

It'll be hard for you to spoil the upcoming story segments too much, as there aren't any. At least yet. I am thinking of doing the second part (Yes, Part II, not III like Smack previously stated - this is going like Star Wars, people plan parts that don't even have prequels) about common hard-working life on Aldebaran, the conditions etc.; maybe implications of the super race ops:
It's all gathering up in my head, but... Sometimes I just can't get a word out on the keyboard
Old September 21, 2001, 16:54   #41
Avenoct
Prince

What, there's actually alien supe....(**doh** **ouch spermy!**)

What happens in part MCMXVI ? I can't wait to back-write 1400 prequels.

-Smack
Old September 22, 2001, 11:09   #42
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Re: I just found this thread *bangs himself to head
Quote:
Originally posted by kassiopeia
Yes, Part II, not III like Smack previously stated - this is going like Star Wars, people plan parts that don't even have prequels

Actually I'll have to correct my words after checking something... It is Part III that is under construction

Oh, by the way... Chapters Ten and Eleven online in a few. Aldebaran - the story is up and running after a long pause! Do not forget to check the first implications of the...
Old November 13, 2001, 05:07   #43
aaglo
King

Heh...

The base graphics for outlaw faction seems so familiar to me... but wait a minute! I've made that!

OK, who is responsible?

BTW, the idea for this base came from a certain church in Helsinki downtown... Maybe all the finns here may notice some similarities...
Old November 13, 2001, 12:13   #44
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by aaglo
The base graphics for outlaw faction seems so familiar to me... but wait a minute! I've made that!

OK, who is responsible?

BTW, the idea for this base came from a certain church in Helsinki downtown... Maybe all the finns here may notice some similarities...
I knew I had seen them bases before! They are of your making, from that specific Finnish faction from a site I can not recall?

*points finger at CyberGod*
Twas him!

Anyway, thanks on behalf of the Aldebaran team for not igniting a flame war of several threads on this... yet.
Old November 13, 2001, 17:04   #45
Cybergod
Prince

Local Time: 14:03
Quote:
Originally posted by kassiopeia

*points finger at CyberGod*
Twas him!
Hey! I seriously thought that this was part of the Network Node's share of graphics (if I can call it so) and there IS a faction which has those base graphics and you'll find it if you look up the only human faction in the zeta set. I never knew it was even remotely related to Aaglo, until he posted the base pics as his on a thread before...
Old November 14, 2001, 10:01   #46
aaglo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Cybergod
Hey! I seriously thought that this was part of the Network Node's share of graphics (if I can call it so) and there IS a faction which has those base graphics and you'll find it if you look up the only human faction in the zeta set. I never knew it was even remotely related to Aaglo, until he posted the base pics as his on a thread before...
Hey, no worries . It's just so nice to see that someone has made some serious effort to create something good with my somewhat insignificant help.

Kassiopeia: Yes, I suppose you refer to the faction where Mannerheim was the leader? Apparently that site is no longer available...

And as for a proof, here's the building from a bit different angle (with the help of POV-ray, of course )
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	building.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	5863  
Old November 14, 2001, 15:00   #47
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by aaglo
Kassiopeia: Yes, I suppose you refer to the faction where Mannerheim was the leader? Apparently that site is no longer available...
I know, oh I know.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	kirkko2.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	5881  
Old June 29, 2003, 01:36   #48
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 06:03
^ bump ^
Googlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2003, 18:01   #49
Cybergod
Prince

Lol, this thread invokes some old memories... :nice:
Old July 4, 2003, 03:59   #50
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 07:03
Does anyone still play Aldebaran?

PS: I recognize that church. But I prefer the Orthodox one on the next hill.

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Last edited by techumseh; July 4, 2003 at 04:05.
techumseh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2003, 09:53   #51
Major Guz
Warlord

I did not play Aldebaran yet, but I downloaded it last week. I will probably start playing it soon.

I use the network node mainly for faction downloads.

I also made a couple of my own factions.
The funniest set was my recreation of the 7 biggest Dutch political parties during the election period last year.
Major Guz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2003, 06:43   #52
laurentius
Civilization II MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyNever Ending StoriesACDG PeaceACDG3 GaiansMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

Local Time: 15:03
Techumseh you have actually been here!? They have let you enter the country?

- Paul Valery
laurentius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2004, 22:34   #53
smacksim
Alpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Gaians
King

Wow, I can't believe it's still here!

Heya, I'm Smack, a.k.a. Avenoct, a.k.a. smacksim. I started this thread 2 years ago! Wow. Well, the website is still up, unbelievably (havn't checked in at least 18 months!). It's still mentioned on Firaxis's site as well. It's funny how things like this find a little corner of the web to hang out in....apparently forever.

Hiya to all who remember, and all who for some strange reason come to visit Aldebaran even now. This was a great fun project. I especially miss Kassiopeia and Cybergod. And all the great discussions with Ned, Blake, Tokamak, and Vel. Ah, the good old days.

If anyone wants to know, I went and did go get (nearly) another degree, in Computer Science. I still dream of working for Firaxis, but have made no serious inquiries. Alpha Centauri is still hailed as one of the best strategy games of all time. And for good reason. Cheers! I'll check back here in the next weeks, and might even respond to emails

-Smack
smacksim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2004, 18:31   #54
Amesjustin
NationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III PBEM
Warlord

The site is down now? where can I get this?
Amesjustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2004, 11:29   #55
smacksim
King

Considering that I've started playing Smac again, I just might update the Aldebaran website. AC is the best game of it's kind, and Aldebaran was a really fun project. I'll be making a new website during the spring/summer. If someone wanted to repost the release on their own site, I could email it to them. The site does work, though not always. With bandwidth restrictions very small, it often get's shut down with just a few visits/downloads. Hopefully I'll find a nice new host soon.

-Smack
Old May 18, 2004, 11:34   #56
binTravkin
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 GaiansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 Data AngelsCivilization IV PBEMApolyton UniversityMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Yeah, you should re-activate your Aldebaran project smacksim/Avenoct!
I played it a year ago and liked it very much!
Lost the files while moving to new PC & want to get new ones!
-- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
binTravkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2004, 12:30   #57
Impaler[WrG]
Civilization IV CreatorsACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 MorganPolyCast Team
King

If their are other active Mod makers out here (I though Moding had died). Perhaps you would like to look over and Critique my still in progress IMPACX mod, its got many of the goals of the Snac Mod, slowing down tec progression balancing hyper powered strategies generaly enhancing AI when possible.

I will post a copy here in a new thread on the Creation forum in additon to the one over in the Democracy Game forum.

I will also try to look into Aldabaran and provide any feedback I can their.
Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche
Impaler[WrG] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2004, 06:39   #58
binTravkin
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 GaiansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 Data AngelsCivilization IV PBEMApolyton UniversityMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Thanx a lot!
-- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
binTravkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2004, 12:32   #59
Impaler[WrG]
Civilization IV CreatorsACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 MorganPolyCast Team
King

So how can I obtain Aldabaran? Can someone upload of Zip of it to Apolyton or is it too large? I dont seem to be able to find it at the Net Node is it nolonger their?
Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche
Impaler[WrG] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2004, 21:27   #60
smacksim
King

I'll see what I can do. Thankfully I do still have a copy, and the website does seem to work for me, though I lost my own password to maintain it!

I'll try to get it re-uploaded this week. I'm back from a hiking trip tonight.

-Smack