Emperor

Local Time: 14:04
Local Date: October 31, 2010
No AI #1 - second thread
Welcome to the new thread!

The players of this game, in turn order, are:

theohall - Gaia's Stepdaughters - theohall@interconnect.net
SITS - Human Hive - tony@tlafave.demon.co.uk
ColDark - University of Planet - Colin.Darra@btinternet.com and Colin.Darra@vistorm.com
Levelisk - Morgan Industries - jeffrey@thecases.com
Qantaga - Spartan Federation - qantaga@aol.com
dinoarms - Lord's Believers - dinoarms@altavista.com and crackplaza@yahoo.com
Viriato - Peacekeeping Forces - viriato_1969@hotmail.com

Please post turn sent messages here.

Last edited by Misotu; September 23, 2001 at 09:45.
Old September 4, 2001, 16:13   #2
dinoarms
Warlord

Local Time: 08:04
Misotu has posted the thread asking that I mail all of you and that we come to consensus
on resolving the issue of the latest game hold up. She is making a move across the
ocean and time and connection speed are suffering for her; she wants us to take on
some of the responsibility for us.

Please read the more recent posts to the thread since Solver was posted his turn
on August 29 by SITS. It is now the 5th of September. Qantaga has confirmed that
he has not reeived his turn. Therefore the turn has been with Solver for more than
a week. Note Solver was using Apolyton earlier today, inspite of emails and post
to the thread there has been no response.

My argument is this. Solver has been consistantly slow. Solver has consistantly not
posted to the thread. Solver has made dubious excuses in the past for his actions.
These are MY OPINIONS.

Therefore I motion that Solver be replaced. I require affirmation from all players
to proceed. Then I will post Misotu and she will find a replacement.

Also I would like everyones opinion on a proposal that turn sent confirmation become
mandatory.

Note: I do not have SIT'S Email address. Could someone post it to me please?
Old September 4, 2001, 19:23   #3
dinoarms
Warlord

we need consensus to replace Solver

those in favour so far

Dinoarms
Viriato
Theohall
Levelisk

Votes are neccessary from
SITS
Qantaga

Last edited by dinoarms; September 4, 2001 at 20:29.
Old September 4, 2001, 19:32   #4
Levelisk
Warlord

Local Time: 13:04
I'm in favor or replacement
Old September 5, 2001, 00:42   #5
SITS
King

I am sorry about this but I've just checked my sent folder and I see no evidence of me posting my turn to Solver. I had played it and as far as I am aware I thought I had sent it. I am very sorry about this and I feel extremely embarrassed and I don't understand what has happened. I have now sent it to Solver.

I can understand people frustrations and it looks like I fueled it but Solver is not at fault in this case.

I do agree that posting to the thread should be the norm rather than the exception. It allows us to see where the turn is and also adds to the game with diplomacy.

Again, I am sorry.

'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old September 5, 2001, 00:51   #6
dinoarms
Warlord

Alright, that's it your outa here SITS

'No room for computer error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting Neurons do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sitsb, something in the SITS' Brain.'
Old September 5, 2001, 00:54   #7
SITS
King

It's a fair cop, guv!
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old September 5, 2001, 20:12   #8
theohall
Warlord

Local Time: 07:04
SITS, I agree on the posting turns thing, but would consider making an exception for Viriato. He gets turns to me the same day he receives them.

Reason for the exception - being in Portugal, he pays per minute charges to use the internet and sometimes this site is really slow to load, even on the T1 connections at work.

If it's okay with Viriato, I can post when the turn was received and again (or within the same post) when the turn is sent to the next player.
Old September 6, 2001, 00:56   #9
SITS
King

I think there are always exceptions - I know that Solver also has some good reasons for not posting in the thread. The thing is people can either try to post in the thread or if they can't whilst offline they can compose a group email and send that alongside their turn so we all know that a turn was sent. Look at what happened with me. I thought I had posted the turn, I posted the fact on the thread but Solver didn't pick up on it and we wasted 5 days because of my mistake.....

Old September 6, 2001, 04:29   #10
Misotu
Emperor

Just checking in ... either posting or sending a group email is perfectly acceptable. A lot of people don't post to threads if they have a slow connection, and use email instead. What is not acceptable is consistently doing neither

In many of the six or seven player games I'm in, people do both because it's a good way of keeping the game moving.

As an aside, I think the first step should be to resend the turn if the game stops for 48 hours + for no apparent reason. Even if the turn is sent correctly (ahem! ) email goes astray pretty regularly. At a minimum, an email to check if the turn was received should be sent. Hope the game will move along at a better pace now ...
Old September 6, 2001, 07:05   #11
SITS
King

I've had my email to Solver returned as undelivered. I've sent it again....

Misotu - Thanks for the sound, sensible advice!

Old September 7, 2001, 13:16   #12
SITS
King

Mail returned unsent again from Solver's 'poly address. I understand there are problems with it. I'll post it here and also try and catch him via ICQ.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip noai-solver-2116.zip (39.5 KB, 2 views)

Old September 7, 2001, 14:42   #13
SITS
King

I've also PM'ed him and I'm still waiting for a response....

Old September 8, 2001, 05:12   #14
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 16:04
Attachment downloaded. Got both the pm and ICQ message. Turn going off within an hour.
Old September 9, 2001, 19:55   #15
Levelisk
Warlord

2116 to Qantaga
Old September 9, 2001, 22:27   #16
Qantaga
King

2116 on to dinoarms.
Old September 10, 2001, 03:07   #17
dinoarms
Warlord

2116 to Viriato
Old September 10, 2001, 21:11   #18
theohall
Warlord

Local Time: 07:04
2117 to SITS...sorry about post in the other thread.
Old September 12, 2001, 10:08   #19
SITS
King

Turn posted to Solver yesterday...

Old September 15, 2001, 15:25   #20
dinoarms
Warlord

I'm posting a note to Solver and Misotu. I am reuesting that Solver check this Therad DAILY. The next time 48 hours pass and turn notification hasn't been sent I am out of here. I am asking now that every player post a turn sent message by either email or to the thread. I've had enough...sorry
Old September 15, 2001, 15:39   #21
dinoarms
Warlord

The folloing has been amailed to Solver. His PM box is full and does not accept anymore messages.

""I'm posting a note to Solver and Misotu. I am requesting that Solver check this Therad DAILY. The next time 48 hours pass and turn notification hasn't been sent I am out of here. I am asking now that every player post a turn sent message by either email or to the thread. I've had enough...sorry"

Misotu. It appears that I have to join a dozen games to get a turn in my mail every other day. For me it is preferable to play a few fast moving games so that I can take the time to ponder my moves.

One of our players has notified us that he will be away for a while...that is ok. But it means that a unanimous desision is impossible. As per above I am reuesting that email notification of turn sent become manditory and that Solver specifically check this thread daily so that I don't have to waste my $*$$*$^*& time chasing him. Then as soon as 48 hours have passed we can eject him. Otherwise I'm gonna gather the fast turn response people form all three of my games start a new one and abandon this one.

I can't take it anymore

Dinoarms"
Old September 17, 2001, 07:51   #22
SITS
King

There are problems with Solvers email address so he might not have got the turn - I will post it here
Attached Files:
File Type: zip noai-solver-2117.zip (39.9 KB, 0 views)

Old September 17, 2001, 13:58   #23
SITS
King

I've spoken to Solver via ICQ. He hadn't received my turn to him and I've sent it to again via ICQ. I've also told him about the problems with PMing him and he said he will investigate.

Old September 17, 2001, 17:14   #24
dinoarms
Warlord

Solver has problems with his email but he doesn't get an alternate account.

Solver can't be PM'd but he doesn't empty his PM box.

We wait almost everytime for him to send his turn but there is almost always a problem. He doesn't post or check the thread in spite of being asked to.

I'm tired of wasting my time with Solver.

If he is still in this game when my next turn comes up please find a replacement for me.

If you want him out please post Misotu; I don't wish to persue this issue any further.

Sorry guys I hope you appreciate my stance and apologize for any inconvenience my replacement may cause you.

DinoArms
Old September 18, 2001, 17:05   #25
Levelisk
Warlord

Turn 2117 passed.

I agree with you DinoArms. I just finally received the turn from Solver. And I don't expect it to change a whole lot.
Old September 18, 2001, 19:21   #26
Qantaga
King

Turn 2117 sent to dinoarms.

Well, I guess it's decision time again. It looks like it is either Solver or dinoarms. Should we take another vote? I'm sure Misotu will want us to make our own decisions.

Anyone disagree that we should ask Solver to step aside for a faster player?
Old September 18, 2001, 20:55   #27
dinoarms
Warlord

2117 to Viriato
Old September 19, 2001, 04:41   #28
Misotu
Emperor

Sorry to see that this game has run into difficulties again. I agree we need to fix this. I'm just waiting to hear from SITS, Theohall and Qantaga, either by email or on the thread.
Old September 19, 2001, 04:54   #29
SITS
King

I agree the problems have been on-going for too long now although I'm not too comfortable in simply replacing Solver. I would prefer that he is asked to explain what has happened and to consider how the delays have affected others. We have a little bit of time because Theohall is away so maybe set a timelimit of 24/09 when Theohall comes back for Solver to explain what has been happening. I do agree with others that something should be done this time.

Old September 19, 2001, 07:30   #30
Qantaga
King

SITS, I completely understand your point. I had to struggle with the choice myself. However, I think Solver has been given every opportunity to explain the delays in the past. It seems like this has arisen at least half a dozen times in this game with no explanation whatsoever by Solver.

What baffles me is that he is a moderator of these forums. In the last instance where we had voted to replace him (although I did personally abstain from that vote), he had a period of several days to visit the thread and say, "Hey, wait a minute, I never received the turn from SITS. I am not the source of delay." But he has never even made one post explaining the delays. I am sure we are all reasonable SMACX players and would be more than willing to give him the benefit of any e-mail or real-life problems, but yet he still does not offer any explanations. I know Misotu has e-mailed him several times, so has dinoarms and still to no result.

So, I did inform Misotu that I thought Solver should be replaced in this game. Personally, I have no problem with Solver and would not hesitate to join another game with him. However, for this particular game, I think it is time to find a replacement. We started this game 3 months ago and have played only 17 turns. Thus, my decision to vote for a replacement.