Old September 4, 2001, 18:10   #1
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 09:04
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Civ2 to Civ3 transition
How is everyone dealing with it?

I came to civ scenarios some months ago. Played a bunch. I started a "not for public consumption" scenario. I left it, and now it doesnt seem worth pursuing. Even if I dont buy Civ3 immediately, it doesnt seem worth learning scen design tools for civ2 - by the time i get any good, it maybe that no one will be interested in civ 2 scens.

I have focused my "creation" projects in related areas instead. I have been writing a describe file for the techs in "seeds of greatness" (its almost done) Historical research is a skill that hopefully will still matter. And I hope that the material in the describe file will still be useful.

The details of my next project will remain secret for now, but is a scenario related web site. Website building skills will also be of longer term use (though im still rather primitive)

So what is everyone else doing? Building scenarios full speed ahead? Holding off? Pursuing related projects?

Not looking for detailed things, just curious as to people's directions

LOTM
Old September 4, 2001, 19:06   #2
Hobbes
Warlord

Local Time: 06:04
I'm stickin' to Civ2 for a while still. After I finish my Shaka the Zulu scenario, I'll do one more big project (which I've already began). Right now, my computer isn't able to run Civ3, so I guess I won't be getting it for a while. So, viva la civ2!!

"...gays who, because they just NEEDED their orgies..." -Mr. A. Speer
Old September 4, 2001, 19:37   #3
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 23:04
I'm planning on finishing 'The Battle of Australia' and 'The Cruel Sea 2.0' before Civ 3 comes out.
I've got a few other things I'm fiddling around with, but I'm not sure wether I'll release any more Civ 2 Scenario's...

However, it will probably take a while for Civ 3 scenario's to reach the standard of the current Civ 2 scenarios, so I'd say there'll be some interest in Civ 2 for a while.
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old September 5, 2001, 01:49   #4
Jacobite1688
Spanish Civers
Prince

Local Time: 07:04
This was a concern I voiced in the opening post of my "2.42?" thread. I just started to get competent in scenario design and I am really NOT looking forward to Civ 3 as much as I should be. Because of hardware limitations, I'll be playing Civ 2 for a long time yet. I will continue to make scenarios for Civ 2 IF:
my first effort, the "Lost Island" scenario is well-received
AND
there is still a Civ 2 scenario community left in, say January 2002.
Old September 5, 2001, 13:21   #5
Goingonit
Warlord

Local Time: 08:04
It seems that the scenario community has some issues with Civ 3's proposed design tools. See the Scen League's Sovreignty thread. That aside, I am looking forward to the game, but haven't pre-ordered it, as I bought CTP before looking at reviews and was very disappointed.

Meanwhile, I'm working on a Civ 2 scen currently, and I've got a second one planned.
Old September 5, 2001, 15:44   #6
our_man
Civilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 14:04
I was working on two scenarios - Cromwell's invasion of Ireland and The 1916 Rising, but I seriously doubt whether I'll ever get them finished since I haven't done any work on them in the past 2 months. The impending release of Civ3 had nothing to do with my decision however, I just lost interest.
Old September 6, 2001, 02:13   #7
Jacobite1688
Spanish Civers
Prince

Local Time: 07:04
OT, slightly
Quote:
Originally posted by our_man
I was working on two scenarios - Cromwell's invasion of Ireland...
How far did you get on this? What version of Civ 2 is it for? (I play 2.42) Stuart England is ... shall I understate?; an interest of mine. I may be interested in picking up your work if you have given up on it. If nothing else, your work might save me some time in future a scenario.
Old September 6, 2001, 15:18   #8
our_man
Civilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 14:04
I had the city placement for the scenario finished. Most of the improvements and wonders were done with pictures and explanations where appropriate. Then I came to the tech tree, quite possibly the most infuriating part of scenario design. I didn't know whether I should let research play a major part in the conflict (in hindsight, it probably shouldn't) or whether to simply have techs for triggering events like in Second Front. I haven't done anything with regard to units or events either.

Unfortunately I was designing the scenario with Fantastic Worlds in mind, so I don't know whether it would be of much use to you. It is a fascinating area of history however, so I'll see if I can try and do anything more with it.