Old September 7, 2001, 11:19   #31
EyesOfNight

lol I never said I was going to be Mr. Nice guy. You guys for some reason seem to think I've adopted some sort of new personality. All I said was I wasn't going to go out of my way to be a **** anymore. The fact of the matter is I really don't care what you post. The only noticable difference is that the page might take a second longer to load. Otherwise, have fun.

Old September 7, 2001, 11:41   #32
Bird
King

Local Time: 09:05
Local Date: October 31, 2010
rah, the problem I have had is that sometimes it won't show any tile code numbers at all. I never noticed that it showed numbers that were wrong, but I'm not anal about this during games so I can't comment on that part one way or the other.
Old September 7, 2001, 11:50   #33
Bird
King

Quote:
Originally posted by EnigmaticGod
lol I never said I was going to be Mr. Nice guy. You guys for some reason seem to think I've adopted some sort of new personality. All I said was I wasn't going to go out of my way to be a **** anymore. The fact of the matter is I really don't care what you post. The only noticable difference is that the page might take a second longer to load. Otherwise, have fun.
Hmmm, I must have misunderstood what follows:

"it is another thing to post and act the way I do on here. I honestly am afraid of what might happen if someone found out what I do on here, it's really not normal. In real life I am not even close to what I am on here. And I can safely say that it would come as a real shocker if people found out how I act, let alone if they found out that I even play a computer game. So in light of all said, I think it is time to kill the act. I am going to assume a new name and begin to divulge many of the strategies I know of on the strategy forum. As for frivolous pursuits of amusement, those days are at an end."

For some reason, I took that to mean that the EyesofNight "I'm a jerk" act was just that, an act. Guess not.
Old September 7, 2001, 12:09   #34
EyesOfNight

No. There is a huge difference between the way I post now and the way I was posting. If you're going to pick a fight with me I will respond just as anyone else does. That does not mean I'm going to sit there and listen to you attack me. I don't believe I have acted any differently than anybody else would in this situation. Nor have I gone out of my way to instigate anything. The problem is that you are interpreting any sort of aggressive talk as "the old eyes" when in reality I am simply responding to a stimulus. And if you go back and read my posts so far and what I wrote in the post you just quoted you will see that I have done exactly as I said I was going to do.

Old September 7, 2001, 12:24   #35
drake
King

Hey eg, buddy......you need a hug pal? You seem a little distressed
Old September 7, 2001, 12:55   #36
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 08:05
EG, I'm thinking that it's more like when you click on an enemy citiy that has not been discovered yet, and it sometimes shows you the defender and sometimes not. Doesn't change what's there, just what it shows you.

And yes I'm aware that if you click on the city it won't center. I'll only use this is if I'm encroaching and I spot a whale and I want to see if there's a city in range that already claimed it.

RAH
Old September 7, 2001, 13:03   #37
EyesOfNight

Well actually a city will show you it's defender if you exchange maps, sign a peace treaty (pretty sure), or an alliance or whatever. There is actually a reason behind it, but I haven't really given it much thought.

And yes, I do that too. But the fact remains, the numbers don't change. The only thing that can ever go wrong is human error. It's very very easy to misclick even when you're looking at coordinates. There isn't even really any reason to be pinpointing it that much anyways. All you need to know is if you're on an island, how far out it goes, etc.

Old September 8, 2001, 06:41   #38
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 23:05
in a current game i am allied, i have exchanged maps etc etc, and still if i click on the other civs citys it doesnt show the defneders... nor does it always do it at other times, there are lots of inconsistencies in the game, but then what would i know i am only an amatuer and i must have nade a human error in clicking on wrong city or something !!!
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old September 8, 2001, 10:42   #39
EyesOfNight

Thanks for your input Mr. Spam

Old September 8, 2001, 11:48   #40
General Maximus
Prince

Quote:
Thanks for your input Mr. Spam
yes, another Super Sized order of Spam please...

anyway, when you click on enemy cities, after exchanging maps, you will see the STRONGEST DEFENDER in that city. if the STRONGEST DEFENDER in that city has changed since you exchanged maps, then you will see nothing. am i right or wrong?

SAVE THE TREES...wipe your ass with an owl:)
Old September 8, 2001, 11:59   #41
EyesOfNight

I'm not sure how it works, I don't really care because it's practically useless. I do know though that it does happen in response to certain things. Things don't just happen for the hell of it, or randomly occur.

Old September 8, 2001, 13:13   #42
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by General Maximus
yes, another Super Sized order of Spam please...
anyway, when you click on enemy cities, after exchanging maps, you will see the STRONGEST DEFENDER in that city. if the STRONGEST DEFENDER in that city has changed since you exchanged maps, then you will see nothing. am i right or wrong?
Thanks for the answer, although your question mark at end may mean this is not true i guess... and eyes doesnt care .... Any others have more knowledge on this occurance???
Old September 9, 2001, 01:43   #43
rah
lifer
Just another peon

ok, tonight i played an mp game. After listened and was real careful tonight, but i had a situation where the coordinates didn't work, and bird did also. So I'm not crazy, it doesn't always work..

RAH
Old September 9, 2001, 07:32   #44
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

RAH
Can you tell what the situation was when it didn't work, perhaps we can find out.

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old September 9, 2001, 11:07   #45
rah
lifer
Just another peon

We were trying to figure it out, but couldn't see the pattern. When the game started it worked like a charm, and I was starting to feel like a careless foolish old man. So I was really pleased when it didn't work later in the game. I'd like to thank Bird for bringing it to my attention. I AM NOT CRAZY. Just old.

RAH
Old September 9, 2001, 11:08   #46
EyesOfNight

I don't know what you're doing but in all my years I have never had that problem and I know alot of other people who haven't had that problem either.

Old September 9, 2001, 11:37   #47
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Don't know what to say, it didn't work at one point, and at least I had a witness. Maybe you've just never noticed when it wasn't working. It's not like you click every turn. I know Ming has also experienced this, so it's just not my machine. I would love to know the circumstances of when it does or when it doesn't in case there is a way to control it, because, as you've stated, it's a valuable tool.. Did bird send you the save file?

Rich
Old September 9, 2001, 12:40   #48
EyesOfNight

YEs and I saw nothing unusual. I've had games in those sorts of positions where it shows the 63 from the very first turn.

Old September 9, 2001, 12:42   #49
rah
lifer
Just another peon

It was working at the begining, then it stopped working, then it worked again. Strange.
Old September 9, 2001, 12:55   #50
EyesOfNight

Think about it, the map doesn't change once it's been created right? Well those numbers are created at the same time as the map and are stored for the entire game. You HAVE to be doing something. It is impossible for them to change. That's like having the map reform itself half way through the game.

Old September 9, 2001, 13:22   #51
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Yeah, you would think that, but I've seen otherwise. And having been a programmer for almost 25 years and managed applications, nothing surprises me. At least we replicated it. Don't know why, but we replicated it. I think it is similar to the show defender. We play no alliance and rarely trade maps, and we see it a lot, so we know that has nothing to do with it. Just a bug in the program. I believe you were never intended to see those numbers in unexplored area and they didn't do a good job testing/implementing it.

Rich
Old September 9, 2001, 16:17   #52
EyesOfNight

Eh, maybe. It's possible. But I've never had a problem with it so lucky me I guess. hehehe I love the way all my threads get 1 star.

Old September 9, 2001, 17:07   #53
rah
lifer
Just another peon

The days I start caring about the ratings, I'll stop posting. I''ve been interested in this thread, and that's all I really care about.

I did try testing it most of one evening and couldn't get it not to work once, and was really starting to think that I was getting too old.

Of course, there is always that chance that the few rare times it didn't work for you, you may not have noticed it, since you trust it completly, unless it was a real obvious one, you may have not seen it and just assume you had clicked wrong. Heaven knows I've done that enough when I expect to see something.

I paid a heck of a lot more attention to it last night, and I assume you will too. That's the true value of these threads. No matter how much I've learned about this game, the are always some real screwy surprises. Actually I hope you experience it once just so you don't think I was yanking your chain. Like me, I assume you like to see things before you believe them.

Rich
Old September 10, 2001, 14:08   #54
Deity Dude
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Just a thought that is totally untested.

Eyes usually plays on premade maps, I believe RAH plays on random small maps. Eyes usually plays duels, RAH 4 player. Eyes usually plays 2x2x king, RAH 2x1x Deity.

I don't know if any of this has anything to do with it but it very well could (especially premade maps vs computer generated maps)

Remember, it was thought impossible for a non-host to get techs but later discovered that a non-host could get techs on 2x2x king with an AI.

Last edited by Deity Dude; September 10, 2001 at 14:16.
Old September 10, 2001, 17:25   #55
EyesOfNight

First of all it has nothing to do with that. Second of all, what the hell makes you think I play premade maps?

Old September 10, 2001, 23:05   #56
Deity Dude
King

Umm, you told me!!

You said u played on premade maps to make sure that land area was distributed fairly (no starting on 1 square islands) and to make sure that you didn't get what you called a "mountain map"
Old September 11, 2001, 00:17   #57
EyesOfNight

I said Customized maps, I did not say premade maps.

Old September 11, 2001, 00:28   #58
Deity Dude
King

I stand corrected
Old September 15, 2001, 04:40   #59
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

Quote:
I said Customized maps, I did not say premade maps.
without envoking the wrath of EG and his little friend, is customised maps jsut the ones where you set the Age, Climate, size ?? And premade maps are totally known ones designed with map editor??

If so I always play Customised ones too, I thought most did...
Old September 15, 2001, 10:05   #60
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Most of the people I play with... customized maps is the name of the game...never pre=made maps...