Old September 6, 2001, 01:44   #1
Alex 14
Prince

Local Time: 23:07
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Now here's an idea...
What if a civ only had one civ-specific ability but 2 unique units or three civ-specific abilities but no civ-specific units. I'm not implieng that this should be in the game, but i think it would work well in a scenario, what do you think?
Old September 6, 2001, 07:24   #2
aaglo
King

Local Time: 16:07
You're idea seems quite ok, but I don't know about the two special units. I mean, two golden ages... come on. That's just an unimaginative travesty of an idea

Or why not make it able to have a "double-religious", "double- commercial" or "double-industrious" civilization? Some adjustments would be needed (free techs for example), but not impossible I think. The militaristic and expansionic doubles wouldn't be very reasonable and the scientific would be too good.

Go figure...
Old September 6, 2001, 10:20   #3
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 14:07
While it may pose game-balancing problems, itīs an easy way to create more 'unique' civs without additional civ-specific abilities (although Iīd prefer 7-10 abilities instead of 6). Letīs see ...

- 15 possibilities to choose 2 abilities out of 6,
- 6 possibilities to choose 1 (obviously ),
- 20 (?) possibilities to choose 3 out of 6.

41 possibilities overall. Sufficient for a bulky expansion pack. Again, balancing abilities vs. special units would be crucial.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old September 6, 2001, 17:58   #4
Fiil
Warlord

You are correct lockstep!

But you seemed uncertain, so here it is:

n!/(r!(n-r)!)

1 ability out of 6: (n=6, r=1) 6 possibilties
2 different abilities out of 6: (n=6, r=2) 15 possibilities
3 different abilities out of 6: (n=6, r=3) 20 possibilities
4 different abilities out of 6: (n=6, r=4) 15 possibilities
5 different abilities out of 6: (n=6, r=5) 6 possibilities

Old September 6, 2001, 19:00   #5
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

And as 0! = 1, there is one (6/(6*1)) possibility to choose no civ-specific ability out of six, and also one possibility to choose all abilities.

Quot erat demonstrandum.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old September 6, 2001, 19:06   #6
Fiil
Warlord

We do know how to enjoy ourselves!
Old September 7, 2001, 01:58   #7
aaglo
King

Local Time: 16:07
Three special abilities for a civ would be too good, I think.
The benefits of a civ-specific unit are only short-time-benefits compared to those from special abilities.
Old September 7, 2001, 04:34   #8
Adm.Naismith
King

Quote:
Originally posted by aaglo
You're idea seems quite ok, but I don't know about the two special units. I mean, two golden ages... come on.
More unique units can still keep a "once only" Golden Age, IMHO.

Because of know rules, programmers surely have already a way to know if a Golden Age was already happened (not repeated evey time a UU win a battle ).

I suppose that a Civ can still build the common equivalent of UU, if it want so: silly? Not, if you can then chose to pass your first UU opportunity (none built) and wait for your second UU and a later Golden ages.

I don't mean I want this, I only suggest is viable and surely another strategic opportunity: do you prefer the advantage of early Cossack or the later Mig Golden age?
It would be your choice: when do you want to play that Joker card?
"We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
- Admiral Naismith
Old September 7, 2001, 05:24   #9
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Quote:
Originally posted by aaglo
You're idea seems quite ok, but I don't know about the two special units. I mean, two golden ages... come on.
According to Firaxis, during a golden age, which lasts twenty turns, 'all worked tiles in your empire contribute one additional trade and shield per turn'. In contrast, the information about the effects of civilization abilities is rather vague (e.g. 'extra commerce in city center'). Obviously, Firaxis is still tweaking and balancing these concepts. Therefore, we simply canīt tell if a second golden age or a second civilization ability would be preferable.