Old September 6, 2001, 02:08   #1
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Local Time: 08:07
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Wonders of the World now require RESOURCES TO BUILD!!
Here's a snippet from the translated version of the German video

"With this new trade system you trade with friendly civs in culture, technologies, units, cities or one of the 30 resources with whom you can build the old or the new wonders used in Civ III. "

Obviously, this is huge and adds untold layers of strategy to "the old wonder races". Theoretically, if a small empire gains a large majority of the materials needed to build a certain key wonder, than they can go from rags to riches over night.
Great, great stuff...the plot ever thickens on the tale of Civ 3
Old September 6, 2001, 07:51   #2
Roman
King

Local Time: 13:07
Re: Wonders of the World now require RESOURCES TO BUILD!!
Quote:
Originally posted by monkspider
"With this new trade system you trade with friendly civs in culture, technologies, units, cities or one of the 30 resources with whom you can build the old or the new wonders used in Civ III. "
Wonderful stuff!!
Old September 6, 2001, 08:11   #3
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 14:07
Hmmm, sounds interesting...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old September 6, 2001, 08:19   #4
Zanzin
Prince

Local Time: 23:07
This is definately a good thing - makes the wonders race all that more interesting, and not so *easy*
Old September 6, 2001, 09:09   #5
Fiera
Emperor

This is definitely a step in the right direction for Civ3!

And I hope Firaxis take the resources thing as far as they can... I mean, I don't want a single wonder, even if it's ancient, to be built only with shields...

Old September 6, 2001, 09:20   #6
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

Local Time: 15:07
The resource system is really the best thing that could happen with the sequel to civ 2 !
For sure in combination with diplomacy !

Second to the resource system is the culture system !

I'm really positive about civ3 !!!
Now I have to decide to wait for civ3 ordinary to be released in Europe 3 weeks after the release in the US or to purchase the special edition over the internet............
Old September 6, 2001, 09:37   #7
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 00:07
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: Wonders of the World now require RESOURCES TO BUILD!!
Quote:
or one of the 30 resources with whom you can build the old or the new wonders used in Civ III
30 resources?? I thought there were only 24 and of those, only 8 were useful for building stuff with... Wish we knew more about these resources, sounds like they will be *very* useful in terms of gameplay
Old September 6, 2001, 11:13   #8
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 21:07
Oh my!

No more of stupid AI 1-pop city building a wonder in 1 turn.

That better do not happen!
Old September 6, 2001, 13:11   #9
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Good news Ranger, the AI doesn't cheat at all, save Diety level.
Check the Finnish article thread for more info.
Old September 6, 2001, 14:30   #10
Ralf
King

Quote:
Good news Ranger, the AI doesn't cheat at all, save Diety level.
Lets hope cheating human players can restrain themselves also. Some love to routinely exploit unintended cheat-shortcuts - then complain loudly why it is possible for them to play this way. I agree though that Firaxis should plomb as many well known Civ HP-cheats as possible.
Old September 6, 2001, 14:53   #11
The Mad Viking
King

30 working resources! (Sounds like Korn469 again) This is excellent!

Ralf:

How about only allowing play to continue from an Autosave file, which might prevent map peaking. And allowing only one reload per Autosave file to prevent reloading on bad huts or bad combat results? You could still play with different savefiles or more reloads, but you get an asterix on your game score.

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind. -Gandhi
Old September 6, 2001, 15:24   #12
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 07:07
yay

Well, now it's going to be a lot harder to catch every wonder. Sounds like an improvement to me... Might actually add some challenge to the game. They're curtailing ICS, but now it seems that OCC will be much tougher than before, since you may not have the resources to build, say, Colossus, or Isaac Newton's College... any takers for a Civ III OCC game? Anyone?

And if the AI has been improved to the point that it doesn't need to cheat anymore... Shall I subject it to the Turing Test?

Or am I being way too optimistic?*

* Yes.
Old September 6, 2001, 15:27   #13
saracen31
Warlord

Does anyone know exactly how the leader units are going to help build Wonders? Do they help build at a more rapid pace, or do you have to sacrifice the leader or what?
Old September 6, 2001, 15:29   #14
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

I think that changes like these will improve the game very mush. The more I read, the more I want the game (So stop reading until you can get the game. I can't!)
Old September 6, 2001, 15:34   #15
Pembleton
Prince

I keep seeing references to OCC and I asked a while ago what it was - one city challenge. How are you supposed to win with only one city? Could someone give me an idea/strats or even a link to how this is possible. I don't get it.
Old September 6, 2001, 15:40   #16
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Pembleton:

http://members.home.nl/paulvdb/occ.htm

Search the Civ II Strategy Forum for threads pertaining to OCC.

Last edited by Vlad Antlerkov; September 6, 2001 at 15:47.
Old September 6, 2001, 15:46   #17
Ralf
King

Quote:
"...the 30 resources with whom you can build the old or the new wonders used in Civ III. "
I believe this is an misunderstanding. If wonders requires recources, then why not city-improvements as well? With wonders & city-improvements you only need the knowledge; the workforce and common building-material (= shields), 98% of the time. Why messing it up with an enforced need of resources? What should "Hanging Gardens" need, for example? Green plants?

Unless officially confirmed, I dont believe it. From what we know, that german commentator could simply have taken for granted that everything need recources - not just combat-units.
Old September 6, 2001, 16:00   #18
Pembleton
Prince

OCC should be called OCE or OCL for one city exploit or one city loophole as it uses "tricks". It seems that a simple patch could prevent such things as the incremental rush-buying or WLTC day. The increase of one pop for WLTC is too much and there should be a different bonus.

Anyway, I guess some people get a kick out of doing this but it doesn't seem very fun to me. I play Civ to create a civ, not just one city.
Old September 6, 2001, 16:15   #19
Mister Pleasant

Resources sound better with each new bit of news. I just hope the AI knows to use them.

Quote:
And if the AI has been improved to the point that it doesn't need to cheat anymore... Shall I subject it to the Turing Test?
Not a bad idea. Way to do this would be with a multiplayer game that includes human and AI players. Human players only use set responses (no in game chat). See if human players can guess which civs were human controlled and which were AI controlled. Might assign this sort of project to my class next semester if the AI impresses me. Think Firaxis will give me a desk copy?

Old September 6, 2001, 16:17   #20
Ralf
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Zanzin
This is definately a good thing - makes the wonders race all that more interesting, and not so *easy*
In civ-3 you cannot prepare one and the same wonder in several of your own cities anymore. A common Civ-2/SMAC cheat, that made it very easy to prepare shield-material - then change wonder-priority as soon as the new wonder-allowing tech was explored.

I think above alone makes the wonder-race more interesting.
Old September 6, 2001, 16:22   #21
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ralf
I believe this is an misunderstanding. If wonders requires recources, then why not city-improvements as well?
To quote Soren Johnson, Firaxis (http://www.civ3.com/devupdate_resources.cfm): 'Resources, like iron, oil, and uranium, allow the construction of specific units and buildings.'
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old September 6, 2001, 16:28   #22
Ralf
King

Quote:
Originally posted by lockstep
To quote Soren Johnson, Firaxis (http://www.civ3.com/devupdate_resources.cfm): 'Resources, like iron, oil, and uranium, allow the construction of specific units and buildings.'
Holy ****! Thats an old quote and I completely missed it. Well, well, well...

Last edited by Ralf; September 6, 2001 at 17:03.
Old September 6, 2001, 17:25   #23
PGM
Prince

This new info has been nothing but great to the game.
Now you strategically have to promote a civilized coexistance with other civs so you can trade and get resources to build units, buildings and Wonders (although I assume basic buildings such as temples, marketplaces or libraries can be built with fairly accessible resources). It's funnier to play this way, and far more realistic. Great job, Firaxis. Now how about renaming the "Rider"? You've accepted fan ideias before (advanced airstrikes targeting specific enemy buildings ), so how about it?. I believe the unit is historically fairly well chosen, it's exciting, reminiscent of the notorious Mongol hordes, now just make it sound chinese!
Old September 6, 2001, 18:01   #24
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Pembleton
OCC should be called OCE or OCL for one city exploit or one city loophole as it uses "tricks". It seems that a simple patch could prevent such things as the incremental rush-buying or WLTC day. The increase of one pop for WLTC is too much and there should be a different bonus.
How in the world is just building one city exploiting a loophole?
Old September 6, 2001, 18:12   #25
TechWins
King

Local Time: 06:07
Quote:
. If wonders requires recources, then why not city-improvements as well?
Even though, this is a bit too late I'll say it anyways. When the new civ3 site opened I started a thread based on that single quote proving the requirement of resources for city improvements. I thought I would say that.

It's nice to see that wonders also require resources for building.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old September 6, 2001, 18:29   #26
ancient
Prince

Civ1:
Civ2:
Civ3:
Old September 6, 2001, 18:42   #27
down th' pub
Warlord

It came up in a recent thread that the 'Ironworks' wonder needs coal & iron (too lazy to find it) and it makes sense that an oil refinery needs oil (hang on CTP improvement?).
Old September 7, 2001, 15:41   #28
Edward
Warlord

Quote:
posted by monkspider
Good news Ranger, the AI doesn't cheat at all, save Deity level.
Could you provide a quote from or link to that article? No AI cheating on low levels? What distinguishes the levels? At least Deity provides some hope for single player challenge.

Pembleton,

OCC might seem rote and cheating, but many people get a big kick (and challenge!) out of it. Depending on your outlook, OCC might use some cheats.

We Love Days - ouch! While blatantly intended by the designers (both in code and written word), I too think this is overpowered. It definitely gives the human an upper hand over the AI since the AI doesn't exploit it. I would say "We Love" is the problem here more than OCC being a cheat. Many non-OCCers use "We Love" for instant republic civ growth.

The other big "exploitation" that OCC uses is that the AI just can't figure out who's about to win. Since the OCC civ always seems so tiny and harmless, the AI forks over tribute and generally doesn't attack until late in the game. The AI has no clue that that little civ has a million dormant caravans and all the requisites for a spaceship. This lack of ability to assess progress to victory MUST be fixed in Civ3 given it's many new victory conditions. If a human is close to for example a cultural victory, the AI must be able to realize this and make a concerted effort to destroy that decadent civ.
Old September 8, 2001, 14:37   #29
Lonestar
inmate
King

Local Time: 09:07
So you suppose this means I'm going to have to find some uranium for the Manhatten Project?
Old September 8, 2001, 17:38   #30
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by Lonestar
So you suppose this means I'm going to have to find some uranium for the Manhatten Project?
Most likely: Yes. But there might be a bug, so that you need horses