Old March 23, 2001, 09:44   #1
smilo
Warlord

Local Time: 23:54
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Hall Of Fame : 3015% on Deity
Couple of months ago I sent in the DEITY HIGH SCORE RECORD OF ALL TIMES : 3015%, but it never got published in the HOF.

Normally, I would not mind, but for getting to this score I have put in too much effort just to let this pass by silently.
... So I decided to organise my own publicity campaign...

Let it be known, the hall of fame is mine ...

PS: I'm already looking forward to the one who beats this (you have to be absolutely mad to do it, I realize that now).

Old March 23, 2001, 09:53   #2
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 18:54
Congratulations... not mad, just bored

How many points did you rack up
Old March 23, 2001, 10:15   #3
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

How many years did it take you? Congratulations, a record I shall never approach.

------------------
Scouse Git[1]

"Staring at your screen in horror and disbelief when you open a saved game is one of the fun things of a succession game " - Hueij
"The Great Library must be built!"
"A short cut has to be challenging,
were it not so it would be 'the way'."
- Paul Craven
Old March 23, 2001, 10:48   #4
John-SJ
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 15:54
WOW! What an acheivement! Congrats!

So, give us some details, what were the game settings? What version? How long did it take (game play hours)?

John-SJ
Old March 25, 2001, 20:17   #5
smilo
Warlord

Some details :

Big map, other settings standard, 7 civs. It took me several months, in game time I have absolutely no idea (far too long to do it again).

One of the main strategies that did the trick, was applying a high cash investement rate. I never build up cash, I invest it in building improvements and units. Off cource this is coupled to a high trade focus.

Second rule of thumb, no fighting but bribing. During the whole game I never had an army worth being called an army.

Oh my, only three replies... sniff, sniff ... I though I would become famous with this one.
Old March 25, 2001, 20:34   #6
Smash
Emperor

send it here.Its pretty current.If it passes inspection it will wax the other scores.
Old March 26, 2001, 01:10   #7
Gastrifitis
Chieftain

Make sure you haven't done anything to wreck your chances of getting your game published. For example, in my current game, I have a city called Dike. It's named after a real city nearby. The city, in turn, is named after a wall for holding back water, like you might expect. But taken out of context, someone might have trouble taking my game and posting it in a public forum. Check the content of your game file for anything that might be a problem.
Old March 26, 2001, 02:14   #8
Marko Polo

Congrats Smilo I think most of civers want to try how high they can go with the score.. once I did that with emperor level to 14500 and it was really tedious work to do.

After that I have moved on to win various challenges: OCC, OCC bloodlust, 'wait for Jesus'-challenge (put settlers to sleep until 1AD) etc (at deity level of course) The fun thing is to win the challenge, the score isn't important.

Smilo, I'm curious yet what's the score was (how many points did you get)? Did you use food caravan trick to get starving big cities? IIRC the theoretical maximum of score is near 30000 points, someone has calculated that here at Apolyton.

Old March 26, 2001, 02:50   #9
Smash
Emperor

Its probably the same as the gold limit.32,000 IIRC.I wonder if the score can be "rolled over" to negative numbers.
Old March 26, 2001, 04:41   #10
Boney
Call to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power Multiplayer
Warlord

Local Time: 00:54
Local Date: October 31, 2010

How is it that those top scores at deity have a weird power graph. Both the top one on this site's HOF (at around 2200%) and the one on the HOF of the site mentioned by smash above(at 1400%) seem to have the winning civ totally come down to zero and then years later ressurect themselves. Is there something that I am missing? I also checked out the other details and there are other questions to be asked on authenticity in my opinion. Has anyone else checked them out. Maybe to totally verify authenticity the game should be saved every 100 years, not just at the end.

Old March 26, 2001, 05:54   #11
rixxe
Prince

quote:

Originally posted by Boney on 03-26-2001 03:41 AM
Maybe to totally verify authenticity the game should be saved every 100 years, not just at the end.

It's very easy to turn the cheat option on, and then, to remove the red "Cheat Mode" text from the Civ Hall of Fame, Very very easy,...

This one, per example, was cheating, this is so clear!!!

If pay some attention to the graph, you'll see that until ~1500, it's progressing "classicaly", and suddenly, he goes to the maximum in a few turns !!! AI gift ??? Hutts ?? Naah

Old March 26, 2001, 06:34   #12
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Please - don't be so quick to cry cheat! I looked at the PowerGraph you show and it did not strike me as overtly strange - indeed it looks quite similar to this one:

which is the result I obtained by playing out a particularly 'bad start' that one of the posters had kindly put up in these fora. It takes time to get ones's Lebensraum - but then the world is yours.
Of course, you might be right and some of the high scores are obtained by less than legitimate means -- indeed the PG above might be a total forgery - but it isn't.

------------------
Scouse Git[1]

"Staring at your screen in horror and disbelief when you open a saved game is one of the fun things of a succession game " - Hueij
"The Great Library must be built!"
"A short cut has to be challenging,
were it not so it would be 'the way'."
- Paul Craven
Old March 26, 2001, 07:27   #13
Marko Polo

I'd like to post one PG of my own here.. where could I find a place to upload the image and show it to the whole world?

Old March 26, 2001, 10:17   #14
optimus2861
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:54
My last game had a couple of sharp upward spikes in the PG as well (don't have the pic, sorry), and it wasn't cheating: it was extended WLTCD periods with 70% luxuries to ramp my population -- first game I've intentionally done this for long periods. I ended up with all cities except one with population from 18-32 (the one exception being near a mountain range and forests, stopped growing at 14) and a 145% rating on Emperor, max spaceship landing on AC in 1930. Too easy, though, because it was a custom map with each civ getting their own continent; I never faced any serious military threat, and the only city I lost was my lone attempt to settle on the continent to the south.
Old March 26, 2001, 11:44   #15
solo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

smilo - Let me add an admiring WOW! Awhile back I had in mind trying the same thing, but found out that the HOF was no longer being maintained, and also found out that building all the food freights necessary would have driven me nuts! I'd also like to hear more details about your game.
Old March 26, 2001, 12:31   #16
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 01:54
Congrats! Personally, I never got such a high score... I think the highest rate I ever got was in the lower hundreds, definitely below 500%... but then, I never played for success, I always played for fun.
Old March 26, 2001, 14:13   #17
Edward
Warlord

I concur with Scouse Gits and optimus2861's assessment of the powergraph. I too have had some miraculous looking climbs on my powergraphs, especially in the later years. Another interesting thing on rixxe's "cheated" graph. The gains by the English roughly equal the losses of the French, Mongols, Persians, Zulus, ... It looks more like a Perfectionist turning to global conquest than a cheated win. It also seems the English saved one or two Aztec cities to keep the game going while they racked up their score and/or launched a spaceship.

p.s. love the word "Lebensraum"
Old March 26, 2001, 15:52   #18
smilo
Warlord

OK, I believe it is time that I install civ again and get some screenshots. I'll get some more details of the game too ... I'll be back shortly.
Old March 27, 2001, 01:03   #19
Boney
Call to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power Multiplayer
Warlord

Okay I also agree that sudden climbs of the power graph can be for authentic reasons, such as Leos or other wonders changing someones game focus. Sometimes in a game everything just clicks together at one time. But noone has answered my earlier question:

"Both the top one on this site's HOF (at around 2200%) and the one on the HOF of the site mentioned by smash above(at 1400%) seem to have the winning civ totally come down to zero and then years later ressurect themselves."

Just download (in the first case) or look at (in the second case) the power graphs for both of these. This is not a case of a sudden rise in power. These civs actually seem to disappear for a number of year and then reappear. Once again I ask the question how is this done?

Old March 28, 2001, 01:39   #20
debeest
Prince

Two thoughts:

Of course, it is child's play to save a game, cheat to get vital information, and then reload with no cheat notation. Or save a game, tap a hut, then reload to get a different random result. You can cheat by using the tedious free-food-caravan trick, or put airbases on hills to increase food supply. There's no way to verify anyone's solo play score. One just hopes that people won't get much satisfaction out of seeing their cheat score posted, and that real high scorers won't be overly put out by others' scores.

Regarding the power graph, it's entirely typical of most of my games. Around 1500 I go republic, expanding my population explosively, and get exactly what you see there.
Old March 29, 2001, 10:26   #21
smilo
Warlord

I noticed that I can't paste pictures in the message. Can anybody tell me how you inserted the pictures of the PG's ?
Old March 29, 2001, 10:37   #22
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

quote:

Originally posted by debeest on 03-28-2001 12:39 AM
You can cheat by using the tedious free-food-caravan trick, or put airbases on hills to increase food supply.

While I think most people would agree that airbases on hills is a cheat...
What's wrong with food caravans? They are a legitimate built in feature.
Old March 29, 2001, 10:49   #23
smilo
Warlord

I certainly agree with you Ming, from a gameplay of view. From a more "reality" view however, this trick does create food out of nothing, which gives me the feeling that it is sort of a cheat. I would appreciate that in civ 3, a more realistic feature would be implemented to recreate the effect of food caravans to boost your cities up to a higher level than possible from farming the land (I believe this will be certainly possile in the real world within a couple of decades : creating food out of water molecules or something alike). At the same time it should be feature that requires some work to maintain, not as much as with food caravans, but it should not be a simple tech upgrade.
Old March 29, 2001, 16:28   #24
Paul
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Smilo, you can insert pictures by typing (img)url(/img), using square brackets instead of round brackets and replacing url with the url to your picture (you must have uploaded your picture to a website first).