Old September 7, 2001, 14:31   #1
SITS
King

Local Time: 13:09
Local Date: October 31, 2010
1812:Rematch, 2nd thread
New thread as requested by Misotu. The old thread is here.
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old September 7, 2001, 15:24   #2
ColDark
Civilization III PBEMAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMDiplomacy
Prince

MY 2145 to Deimos.

Terry Pratchett
Old September 7, 2001, 22:02   #3
Deimos
Prince

Local Time: 08:09
MY 2145 to Qantaga
Old September 8, 2001, 13:24   #4
Qantaga
King

2146 on to SITS.
Old September 8, 2001, 16:43   #5
SITS
King

Turn 2146 to ColDark
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old September 9, 2001, 03:05   #6
ColDark
Civilization III PBEMAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMDiplomacy
Prince

MY 2146 to Deimos

Terry Pratchett
Old September 10, 2001, 13:25   #7
Deimos
Prince

MY 2146 to Qantaga

Sorry about the delay in getting the turns out. Storms this weekend took out my cable modem service - JUST after I downloaded the turns. Service wasn't restored yet this morning, so I had to wait to send them until I got to my hotel. Sorry.
Old September 10, 2001, 13:27   #8
ColDark
Prince

NP Deimos, I think we all know that there must have been a good reason.

ColDark

Terry Pratchett
Old September 11, 2001, 12:40   #9
ColDark
Prince

MY 2147 to Deimos.

Unbelievable real life news. Really sorry to anyone who has been touched by the tragedy.

ColDark

Terry Pratchett
Old September 11, 2001, 23:20   #10
Deimos
Prince

MY 2147 to Qantaga

ColDark: Your expression of regret is greatly appreciated. I have a close friend, Sgt. Mike, that was burned due to the attack on the Pentagon. I don't know how badly he has been injured. My wife and I are on edge waiting for futher news of his condition.

Today has been a truely horrible and tragic day. .00 e 10 I'd appreciate if either of you UK residents would relate what the "buzz" about how the incidents of the day are being recieved overseas. I've heard the official statment from the PM, but I am very currious what the common folk are saying. If you don't want to respond in this thread, please email me at deimos_00@usa.net.

Thanks!!
Old September 12, 2001, 10:04   #11
SITS
King

Turn 2148 to ColDark

Deimos - There are lots of mixed feelings as you can imagine. There is shock and horror at what has happened and a profound sense of disbelief. I don't think anyone can watch the images and not be touched.

I work as a newspaper printer and I was in work last night and there was a lot of talk amongst us. Some of it might be hard to take but I hope you understand the context of it being said. There is a feeling of welcome to the realworld - we've been dealing with terrorism for decades now (but of course not on the scale of what happened yesterday.) That hand in hand with the tales of American money being used to fund the IRA means that some people feel it is time for America to 'grow-up'. There is also a fear about Bush. He isn't trusted here and his words of revenge since have caused concern. A number of people here have said that they wish Clinton was still President.

But people are numb here - some of liking it to when Diana died - that sense of shock that touches everybody. Of course there is a fear that we might be targetted too.

I hope your friend is all right both now and afterwards. I was involved with the aftermath of an IRA bomb that killed two children in Warrington, where I live and I know it takes time for it to sink in and when it does that can be the worst time. My thoughts are with you all.

Old September 12, 2001, 13:14   #12
ColDark
Prince

Passed back to Deimos

Terry Pratchett
Old September 12, 2001, 19:45   #13
Deimos
Prince

MY 2148 to Qantaga

SITS:
I fully understand the context in which the statements from your co-workers was said. I agree with some of it (the grow-up sentiment), disagree with some of it (Clinton still in office), and don't know what I think about the rest.

I don't let others difference of opinion bother me. I'd be a poor excuse for a Pro-Democracy everyone-has-a-right-to-their-opinion advocate if I did.

As far as your country being a target, I'm not sure that you will be. The events of yesterday seem to be scripted for the most psychological impact against America, e.g. choosing American Airlines and United Airlines aircraft.

Those behind this seem to be solely interested in harming Americans. If they had been interested in harming our friends and allies, they would have gone after assets belonging to them before this. I don't recall any Islamic Fundamentalist group going after a British or German embassy or warship. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

On a more positive note, I did get word about my friend. He has suffered 2nd degree burns to his hands and face. He also suffered from smoke inhalation. Otherwise, he's in good shape. He may even have been released from the hospital today, don't know for sure now. His office was less than 100 meters from where the plane struck the Pentagon. Even though he was injured, in my mind he's one of the luckiest people alive. Many others were injured MUCH more severly, let alone killed. I guess the 4 pints that I drank to his health last night helped.
Old September 12, 2001, 22:14   #14
Qantaga
King

Deimos, I am very pleased to hear the good news about your friend.

I must admit that I am still moving through the world in a state of disbelief. I just can't quite convince my mind that these unbelievable things have happened.

Peace to you all, my friends.

2149 passed to SITS.
Old September 13, 2001, 00:10   #15
SITS
King

Turn 2149 to ColDark - Sorry for the reload but my computer just froze.

Deimos - Thanks for your reply and I'm very pleased about your friend's lucky escape.

Not sure how real the threat to the UK is too, but people are concerned about it - especially with the UK's close association with the US and her actions. I wouldn't have it anyother way and I've not heard anyone say otherwise.

I confess I'm a Clinton sort of person - but there is a real fear surrounding Bush. He simply doesn't come across well at all. For instance the way that Blair came across had much more gravity than when Bush spoke. A lot of people here are concerned about what Bush might do - he simply isn't respected or trusted. Things like global warming did not help him at all...

It's a terrible thing that has happened not only to the USA but to the world and I'm more than happy with NATO's stance. I simply cannot imagine 1000's of people dead in moments.

Old September 13, 2001, 13:03   #16
ColDark
Prince

MY 2149 to Deimos.

I also agree with what SITS says on all his comments in his last entry. Inc my feelings about Bush, I'm not a major fan, but I do like our close ties with the US.

Also happy with the NATO stance too (though would prefer it if it wasn't necessary at all - damned terrorists!!!).

Cheers

CD

Terry Pratchett
Old September 13, 2001, 19:47   #17
Deimos
Prince

MY 2149 to Qantaga

I am EXTREMELY pleased with the close ties between our two countries. (Odd that we're posting that sentiment in this thread ) The UK has been the one of, if not the single, best friend and ally of the USA. I wouldn't have it any other way.

And I, too, am pleased with NATO's stance. I also prefer that it wasn't necessary, but am glad for it nonetheless.
Old September 15, 2001, 00:04   #18
ColDark
Prince

Just an indication of the support from UK, and in other EU countries too. We observed 3 minutes silence at 11:00 AM in UK. Whole towns observed the silence, cars stopped, and their drivers got out. Shopkeepers left their shops. People just stopped in the streets. Eerie and quite moving. Flowers were laid at war memorials (hmmm) some wept. But I didn't see anyone not observing the silence.

Thought you might want to know.

CD

Terry Pratchett
Old September 15, 2001, 05:09   #19
SITS
King

Turn 2150 to ColDark

I echo ColDark's post...

Old September 16, 2001, 14:43   #20
ColDark
Prince

MY 2150 to Deimos.

Sorry took so long, was away from home this weekend, visiting relatives.

Back Now.

Cheers

ColDark

Terry Pratchett
Old September 16, 2001, 21:45   #21
Deimos
Prince

MY 2150 to Qantaga
Old September 16, 2001, 22:55   #22
Qantaga
King

2151 sent to SITS.

ColDark, thank you for sharing the way the UK showed support for our tragedy. I say this in all seriousness, it made my eyes tear up to read of that support. A heartfelt thanks for all the prayers and support we are receiving from all around the globe.
Old September 17, 2001, 07:34   #23
SITS
King

Turn 2151 to ColDark

Old September 17, 2001, 09:41   #24
ColDark
Prince

2151 to Deimos.

NP Qantaga. Now we have to brace ourselves for the repurcussions that will probably come as a result of the tragic events of last week. I just wish it hadn't happened, as I'm sure we all do.

All the very best.

CD

Terry Pratchett
Old September 17, 2001, 18:30   #25
Deimos
Prince

MY 2151 to Qantaga

I would like to echo what Qantaga said. (Hoisting a pint) Cheers and Thanks!
Old September 17, 2001, 19:51   #26
Qantaga
King

2152 sent to SITS.

I had to use an alternate e-mail tonight, so please let me know if you need a resend.
Old September 17, 2001, 20:42   #27
SITS
King

No resend needed - 2152 to ColDark

Old September 18, 2001, 08:56   #28
ColDark
Prince

I'm not able to play my turn tonight. I'm going on a trip and won;t be back til late. Will play my turn tomorrow am.

All the best.

CD

Terry Pratchett
Old September 19, 2001, 09:10   #29
ColDark
Prince

am turned into pm, but turn done and on it's way to Deimos.

Cheers

Terry Pratchett
Old September 19, 2001, 15:39   #30
ColDark
Prince

I have switched my home ISP from virgin to btinternet, so from now on please use the following two addresses for me.

Work email is Colin.Darra@vistorm.com
Home email is Colin.Darra@btinternet.com

Cheers

ColDark

Terry Pratchett