Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 14:10
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Civ of the Week no. 5: Persians
http://www.civ3.com/civoftheweek.cfm

Leader: Xerxes
Unique Unit: The Immortal
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old September 7, 2001, 15:45   #2
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 07:10
Immortal is an upgraded swordsman(3-2-1) with an extra attack
Old September 7, 2001, 15:57   #3
Tarquinius
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

The new about the Persians isn't really shocking IMHO.
The leader and capitol are as I expected, and the Immortal is a bit suprising, but it's stats are not that good that I am going wild (it'll have to be really good if that is gonna happen )

Probably the Roman Legion will have the same stats, there isn't much option, it could be a 3/3/1, but that would be suprising, as the description of Legion in Civ 1 there is said they were strong on the attack, but relatively weak in defense. (they were only a 3/1/1 there)

Any other thoughts?
Old September 7, 2001, 16:00   #4
The diplomat
King

Did anyone notice that Firaxis has tweaked the special abilities. The Persians used to be "militaristic" and "commercial". They are now "Commercial" and "scientific".
Conversely, the chinese are now "militaristic" and "industrious".

So, they switched one special ability between the chinese and the persians.

I guess they did that for play-balancing reasons.
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old September 7, 2001, 16:00   #5
Steve Clark
King

Than I would fully expect that the Romans will be next week's civ, thus we'll find about the Roman Legions at that time.
Old September 7, 2001, 16:02   #6
Steve Clark
King

Quote:
Originally posted by The diplomat
Did anyone notice that Firaxis has tweaked the special abilities. The Persians used to be "militaristic" and "commercial". They are now "Commercial" and "scientific".
Conversely, the chinese are now "militaristic" and "industrious".

So, they switched one special ability between the chinese and the persians.

I guess they did that for play-balancing reasons.
And it can be tweaked again by modifying the rules.txt file. I wonder, though, if changing the civ's attributes, do the trigger for the Golden Age change as well or perhaps, that is something that is editable in the txt file as well?
Old September 7, 2001, 16:03   #7
mactbone
Prince

Local Time: 08:10
The bits of info are getting funnier
-Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"
Old September 7, 2001, 16:14   #8
tniem
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Tarquinius
Probably the Roman Legion will have the same stats, there isn't much option, it could be a 3/3/1, but that would be suprising, as the description of Legion in Civ 1 there is said they were strong on the attack, but relatively weak in defense. (they were only a 3/1/1 there)
Or possibly an added movement bonus. It doesn't seem to make much sense but the Romans did take over a wide treck of land and this would require good movement in Civ III.
Old September 7, 2001, 16:34   #9
Rhysie
Warlord

Local Time: 13:10
Romans did all those nifty defense formations with the tortoise and all that, I think its highly probably as a result the legions will have extra defence. The civ 1 legion description probably is describing swordsmen in general rather than legions in particular, as legions in civ1 were a general unit.
Old September 7, 2001, 17:51   #10
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 00:10
Local Date: November 1, 2010
COTW Description
Good: The description is factual, interesting, humorous, and did i meantion interesting?? The infrequent jokes add to the piece rather than detracting from it.
Quote:
Apparently, "Expendables" didn't have quite the same ring to it.
That quote was very funny

Bad: Is it just me, or does that background make the text a bit too difficult to read?? Maybe a shade or two lighter, or a couple of shades darker with light writing

Ugly: As is becoming a standard, the leaders face is, well...
Old September 7, 2001, 18:08   #11
Transcend
Prince

Local Time: 06:10
I'm not too impressed with the Persian Immortals. Its extra attack is pretty insignificant, and Immortals will have trouble overcoming any units with a defense of 2 or better. Also, a Greek Hoplite should be able to stand up to it most of the time.
Old September 7, 2001, 18:26   #12
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Transcend
Also, a Greek Hoplite should be able to stand up to it most of the time.
As they should. They did win historically, after all.

I think the Immortals might be too strong; they shouldnīt be 'legions in disguise'.

Also, the Persians were a 'horse civilization'. They should have the 'Chinese' special unit. (Parthian cataphract)

Also, Persians should be religious. Zoroaster was of enormous significance...
Old September 7, 2001, 19:38   #13
tniem
King

I would just like to ask why is Xerxes the leader?

Read this quote from Civ3.com:

Quote:
Although successful in the pacification of Egypt and suppression of a Babylonian revolt, the Greek city-states eventually got their act together and whipped Xerxes, spelling the beginning of the decline of the Persian Empire. With his pride still stinging from his defeats, Xerxes decided to retire. In his last years, he squandered the once-enormous treasury he had gathered through trade and taxation by launching vast construction programs, but most of these were never finished

So why is he considered their great leader, especially when he follows Dairus I and Cyrus the Great?
Old September 7, 2001, 19:46   #14
d_dudy
Prince

first, i would like to say I SOOOOOOO FREAKIN CALLED THE IMMORTALS AS THE PERSION UNIQUE UNIT!!!!!!! (in another thread where many people called this idea silly)

to all the history "they were horsy people" weenies. (no offense comrade, i'm really steering this towards the jerks in the other thread who thought there could be no way the immortals were the unique unit.)

i would also like to say i share tniem's reservations about xerxes. he doesn't sound all that great especially next to darius.

Last edited by d_dudy; September 7, 2001 at 19:51.
Old September 7, 2001, 22:13   #15
Alexander I
staff
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization IV CreatorsCivilization IV: MultiplayerPolyCast Team

I concur with d_dudy. I was the first one to even suggest the Immortal as the Persian unit, back when other people were shouting that they weren't in (Sabre2th). In fact, it was my post in the CivIII scenarios thread that got Firaxis to spill the beans that Babylon and Persia were even in!

Immortals were the most reasonable choice. Come on people. Cataphracts? Try Byzantines, please. (Maybe in the expansion).
The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report
Old September 7, 2001, 23:09   #16
Steve Clark
King

Good call, Alexander01.
Old September 7, 2001, 23:52   #17
Falconius
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by d_dudy

i would also like to say i share tniem's reservations about xerxes. he doesn't sound all that great especially next to darius.
No, but he DOES have a really cool name. I wanted to name my kid Xerxes, but my wife told me I was nuts. Too bad.
Old September 8, 2001, 00:17   #18
jsw363
Prince

Local Time: 05:10
Bravo to Alexander. I must admit that I was a bit skeptical, but....

And yes, all the leaders are UGLY.

And finally, there description of Xerxes doesn't really match up with him being their leader. Kind of odd, no?
Old September 8, 2001, 01:02   #19
d_dudy
Prince

i think his having a cool name must be the only reason for him being the leader.

think about it, how ignorent is it to say how he near single handedly brought down his own great civilization and then make him their leader?

nice to see people actually realize i'm posting things, i might use caps more often

edit: i always have typos!
Old September 8, 2001, 04:51   #20
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Local Time: 13:10
All I know is that a lot of people would chose the king who lost most of the swedish territorial possessions, Charles XII, as the Swedish leader if such a civ ever would be made, because he's interesting and had some brilliant victories (Narva, most famously) before succumbing to Peter the Great's forces. *shrug*
Old September 8, 2001, 11:02   #21
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander01
Come on people. Cataphracts? Try Byzantines, please. (Maybe in the expansion).
I knew someone would be ignorant enough to say this.

The Byzantines did already use Cataphracts when they were still Romans. And the Romans, an infantry civilization, if there ever was one, didnīt invent Cataphracts, either.

Guess from whom they copied them.
Old September 8, 2001, 13:41   #22
splangy
Prince

Persians are nice but nothin special. I DO like the imortal though, that should be a ***** to hold against.
Old September 8, 2001, 15:23   #23
Alexander I
staff
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization IV CreatorsCivilization IV: MultiplayerPolyCast Team

Hold on a second, Comrade Tribune. Take your communist attitude with you. I never said the Byzantines were the ONLY civ to have Cataphracts. Yes, the Romans had them. As did the Parthians. But YOU'RE the ignorant one if you think Parthians are bonified Persians.

And anyway, the unique unit should be something the civ is renowned for. The Romans are more famous for their legions than for cataphracts. In the Persian situation, the Immortal best fits the Persian persona.

So please, stop spewing insults and go back to history class.
The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report
Old September 8, 2001, 16:36   #24
Felch
Civilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 09:10
True dat, Alexander. What's important in terms of the UU is not the inventor but the most famous civilization to use it.

Germany didn't invent tanks, Britain did.

America didn't invent jets, Germany did.

Babylonians didn't invent bows, they've been around sinceprehistoric times.

Egypt didn't invent the chariot (I think that's their UU), it was used against them by an invading army, and the Egyptians modified the design and became a dominant power.

What's significant is not who used the weapon first, but who was most influential with the weapon or tactic.
Old September 8, 2001, 16:56   #25
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 09:10
Quote:
But YOU'RE the ignorant one if you think Parthians are bonified Persians
No insult here, but it's funny that you call someone else ignorant and then use the term "bonified". Those of us who have seen it in print usually spell it "bona fide", from the Latin for "in good faith". I usually screw things up the other way around; I mispronounce things I've seen written, but have never heard spoken.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old September 8, 2001, 19:13   #26
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Quote:
And anyway, the unique unit should be something the civ is renowned for. The Romans are more famous for their legions than for cataphracts. In the Persian situation, the Immortal best fits the Persian persona.

So please, stop spewing insults and go back to history class.
Itīs all real history vs. popular history.

The Immortals were mostly "renowned" for losing big time against the Greeks. On the other hand, Parthian and later Persian Cataphract armies annihilated Crassus and fought all Roman Emperors who tried something and even the master general Belisarius to a standstill.

Brush up your historical knowledge, before I am going to take any lessons in your history class.
Old September 8, 2001, 19:17   #27
d_dudy
Prince

you know, i don't think anyone cares
Old September 8, 2001, 19:37   #28
Fiil
Warlord

I think the Persians look good. I like the firaxis' choise of the immortals and compared with the other leaders he Xerxes looks allright. Ofcause they could have chosen Darios but Xerxes is the most famous.

I think the two pictures of Xerxes look very different (the one on the main page and the one under civ-of-the-week). It's probably just the costume but both of them look ancient, and I assumed there would be only four different costumes to cover the timeline. The previous leaders wore the same clothes on both pics!!
Old September 8, 2001, 22:56   #29
eNo
Chieftain

I'm suprised noone's mentioned this but if I understand the background of the Immortals correctly, then the unit chould be weaker than its standard counterpart but much cheaper to produce. Maybe half the shields? two third's of the shields?

And yeah..Xerxes does seem an odd choice for a leader. Except it might be that fame versus accuracy thing.
Old September 9, 2001, 00:35   #30
d_dudy
Prince

they cost the same but have more men in a unit, making their attack greater

i think it makes sense