Old September 7, 2001, 15:49   #1
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 07:10
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Civ3 developer update - wonders!!!
OK, to summarize: wonders are assigned a value that corresponds with civ unique traits (milatiristic, etc.) If a civ with those traits buiilds that wonder, a golden age is triggered!! Small wonders (not called minor, apparently) never become obsolete, and require events, such as Wall Street requiring 5 banks and SDI which requires Integrated defense and 5 SAM batteries.
Old September 7, 2001, 15:52   #2
The diplomat
King

The news about wonders is wonderful!!!
Firaxis is really emphasizing gameplay for civ3. I think the game is really going to have that addictive gameplay that we have come to love about civ!
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old September 7, 2001, 15:56   #3
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 15:10
Is that screen a snap from the Wonder *movie*?
Old September 7, 2001, 15:59   #4
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Not sure if its a movie or an animation or a still picture...
Old September 7, 2001, 16:11   #5
tniem
King

Local Time: 08:10
Actually the most important thing is...
By building major wonders that fufil your civs attribute you can start a golden age. That means there is a peaceful way of having your golden age.

This is huge news.

To quote Dan:

Quote:
If the attributes of the Wonders you've completed match your Civ's strengths, you will trigger a Golden Age. For example, the Chinese are "Militaristic" and "Industrious". If they build The Art of War and Hoover Dam, this satisfies both strengths and a Golden Age would begin. A far better tact for the Chinese would be to build the Great Wall, which satisfies both strengths at once and would immediately trigger a Chinese Golden Age upon completion
Either we asked and Firaxis listened or they knew all along that only a militaristic golden age just wasn't right. Either way I am happy to see the change.
Old September 7, 2001, 16:13   #6
tniem
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyller
Not sure if its a movie or an animation or a still picture...
I am pretty sure they have said no wonder movies. They simply interupt the world they are trying to create. Besides it says "Sir we have completed The Oracle in Rome.

So I would have to say it is just a still image.
Old September 7, 2001, 16:15   #7
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Yes, we have a peaceful trigger, and they have changed the abilities of China.

I like the first one, about the second one: damned! I was going to play as Chinese because of their abilities.
Old September 7, 2001, 16:17   #8
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by tniem
I am pretty sure they have said no wonder movies. They simply interupt the world they are trying to create. Besides it says "Sir we have completed The Oracle in Rome.

So I would have to say it is just a still image.
I think that too, but someone said it would be clips. That is what the stars are for.
Old September 10, 2001, 13:43   #9
Edward
Warlord

Hurray for the peaceful Golden age trigger!

Will the game remember whether or not we've already had a Golden Age? Can you get two Golden Ages for your civilization in a single game, one by unique unit victory and another by building the appropriate great wonder(s)? If I win a battle with my Chinese "rider" and have 20 turns of Golden Age, can I subsequently (or previously) also gain a second 20 turns of Golden Age in the same game by building the Great Wall?