Old September 8, 2001, 06:48   #1
Ralf
King

Local Time: 14:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
An Alexander-slash through the Golden Age-knot?
An Alexander-slash throught the Golden Age-knot, would be:

Make Golden Age available as an free-to-trigger option, with the first ever produced civ-specific unit - then let the to player decide for himself when her wants to launch it. HOWEVER - Golden Ages should only be triggable within the era that civ-specific unit belongs to, whether it be ancient -> middle age - > industrial -> modern age.
Old September 8, 2001, 14:47   #2
Ralf
King

Ok, I throw in a bump-reply and see what happens.
Old September 8, 2001, 14:58   #3
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 15:11
What I always thought as the ideal solution to thids dillema is for the player (and the AI) to initiate their GA whenever they want.

It is a strategic choice, not a consequence.

BTW, I liked your metaphore Ralf
Old September 8, 2001, 15:27   #4
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

It is a strategic choice, not a consequence.

I know its only a game, but no civ in history chose their golden age. It just happened, almost by accident.
Old September 8, 2001, 15:44   #5
TechWins
King

Local Time: 06:11
I'm going to quote something from me to state my opinion on this.

"I hope you don't get a choice on whether or not you want to have your golden age. It should just happen and you should not have any complaints about it. If you want to make having your golden age a very complex strategy then plan your building of wonders and fighting with UU accordingly. Having a free choice of accepting your goldeng age will lead to most human civs receiving their golden age in modern times. Only humans will receive the golden age in modern times by non default because the AI will always choose yes. You should receive your golden age when you are supposed to receive your golden age."
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old September 8, 2001, 15:45   #6
Bereta_Eder
Settler

It IS a game, but since you went into history BC then you know that Firaxis took the name «Golden Age» from the only one that ever was: the «Golden Century of Athens» under the leadership of Pericles and involved only Athens and secondarily only its aegean empire.

It was definetily not an accident, too many factors contributed.

On the other hand of course Athens didn't «chose» it to happen then and there.

But it's only a game. I think choosing it enhances the strategic element. Having a bazilion things happening in order to get a GA will orient most of the game towards achieving it and will undermine other great aspects INMO.
Old September 8, 2001, 15:49   #7
TechWins
King

Quote:
But it's only a game. I think choosing it enhances the strategic element.
It's not going to be very strategic since every human player is going to choose the modern times and the AI will always choose yes when the chance of having a golden age presents itself. Not very strategic in my opinion, in fact it's a bit lame.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old September 8, 2001, 15:57   #8
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

OK, by "accident" was the wrong word. Thing is, if in history a nation could choose when to have a golden age, it should presumably also have the ability to choose to have one permanently. Which obviusly is not true.

Basically, I would prefer to see a ""random" element to golden ages, not a choice in when you have it.

By random I mean not user-chosen.
Old September 8, 2001, 15:58   #9
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Local Time: 13:11
So why not pick a civ that reflects when you want your Golden Age to happen? That's a strategic choice, innit?
Old September 8, 2001, 16:01   #10
Ralf
King

Quote:
Originally posted by TechWins
Having a free choice of accepting your goldeng age will lead to most human civs receiving their golden age in modern times.
TechWins - all they have to do make GA's manually triggerable only within the era that the civ-specific unit in question belongs to. For egyptians that mean ancient era only, and for germans that means the modern era only.

Quote:
It's not going to be very strategic since every human player is going to choose the modern times and the AI will always choose yes when the chance of having a golden age presents itself.
Did you read my first reply? Again - here is what I wrote: "HOWEVER - Golden Ages should only be triggable within the era that civ-specific unit belongs to, whether it be ancient -> middle age - > industrial -> modern age."
Old September 8, 2001, 16:01   #11
TechWins
King

Being able to user choose your golden age doesn't make since in realistic terms nor does it make sense in gameplay terms. For realistic terms it's pretty obvious why it doesn't make sense. For gameplay terms in why it doesn't make sense you can look at my previous two posts.
Old September 8, 2001, 16:04   #12
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Techwins,

the AI is gpoing to get scre*d even worse if it doesn't have the freedom to choose a GA itself but has to fulfill comlicated requirements.

BC,
actually A Golden Century (lasted aprox. 100 years) is the cultural result of sucessfuly ending a devastating long war, hugely increasing the trade, improving your defences (more like attacks), having an iron grip on all your conquests etc.

A GA it's just the product mainly the cultural product of all that.

Random Please God no

Snapcase,
nope.
Old September 8, 2001, 16:07   #13
TechWins
King

Quote:
TechWins - all they have to do make GA's manually triggerable only within the era that the civ-specific unit in question belongs to. For egyptians that mean ancient era only, and for germans that means the modern era only.
What is the point in it? All you are going to do now is choose to have your golden age right before you advance into the next time period. You will do this because that will be the time when you will have the most cities to be effected by the GA.

Could you explain to me how this helps the gameplay or makes the game more realistic?
Old September 8, 2001, 16:42   #14
Ralf
King

Quote:
All you are going to do now is choose to have your golden age right before you advance into the next time period. You will do this because that will be the time when you will have the most cities to be effected by the GA.
No, I dont agree at all.

The player might prepare an invasion, or he might suddenly face an invasion himself. Or he must unexpectedly help out an trusted ally with increased production (like US did to England during WW-2). Or he must quickly build/rebuild destroyed infrastructure in order to upheave several city-riots. Or boost production in order to secure especially prized Great Wonders, or quickly build several mini-wonders simultaneously. All these things can happen both early and mid-through any specific era - and if the player wants that, he should be able to trigger GA instantly.

Quote:
Could you explain to me how this helps the gameplay or makes the game more realistic?
It adds more strategy-control, thus improving gameplay. Also, this trigger-mechanism is much more fair & equal to everybody regardless contrasting playingstyles and differently prefered victory-conditions. Currently, the player cannot use hes specific units successfully in battles without automatically/beyond control, getting a Golden Age stuffed down his throat. How fun & intuitive is that? And the current Great Wonder-trigger is also too easy preventable, so most civs are more or less stuck with that automatic unit-trigger.

Last edited by Ralf; September 8, 2001 at 16:58.
Old September 9, 2001, 05:42   #15
Ralf
King

Quote:
Being able to user choose your golden age doesn't make since in realistic terms...
Can a single citizen make it a "user-choice" to overturn his own country from a stable democracy to communism (or whatever) - free at will? Well, he can do that if he playes Civ.

So much for realism. Its only a game although a great one. By the way: switching back from democracy/republic to communism, monachy (not to mention despotism) should be a whole lote more difficult then it was in Civ-2. No more "tactical government-switching". But thats another issue.
Old September 9, 2001, 06:26   #16
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Ralf, what happens if I press the end turn button one time to much? That will say: if I'm in the end of the era, and I forget to start the golden age, will I get any reminder, or will the opportunity be lost?
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old September 9, 2001, 12:56   #17
Ralf
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Nikolai
Ralf, what happens if I press the end turn button one time to much? That will say: if I'm in the end of the era, and I forget to start the golden age, will I get any reminder, or will the opportunity be lost?
Dont underestimate the customer - pretty soon he become very familiar with then and by which techs this or that eras starts and ends. Also remember that in Civ-3 you must develop almost all important techs, before you allowed to enter the next era. And each new era is probably greeted with some appropriate fanfares and (maybe) changed city-on-map graphics as well (that would be nice). As an added safety-measure, they can also come up with some kind of optional GA reminder-message, lets say 10-20 turns before the era-switch? I say; dont worry Nikolai - if theres a will, theres a way.
Old September 9, 2001, 15:12   #18
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Sounds good. I think I'll trust you on that!
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old September 10, 2001, 17:25   #19
Edward
Warlord

Local Time: 08:11
Actually all this historically accurate rise and fall stuff seems pretty inappropriate to me.

* Are Golden Ages for flavor?

Example 1: I play the Mongols and get some cool horseback archer special unit. That lends some flavor to the civ I chose. Galloping these distinctly Mongolian hordesmen across the map will feel somewhat different than a cavalry of knights (Either due to their distinct appearance and/or their different game stats). "Yah! I'm leading the Mongolian Hordes! Get out of my way you decadent urbanites!"

Example 2: I play the Mongols and, at the historically appropriate epoch, they get their Golden Age, regardless of whats happening in the game. Whatever. I don't think the Golden Ages (with or without their current triggers) serve to distinguish the varying civilizations in the least. Artificially getting an early Golden Age won't make me feel more like I'm playing the Mongols. Getting one late in the game by meeting wonder requirements even less so.

* Are Golden Ages for strategy?

If the Golden Ages are supposed to present some sort of strategy, why use unplanned epochs (like Greece's Golden Age) to add "strategy" to the game? I'm sure they could think of a host of cognizant choices (internal politics, assassinations, more detailed unit level tactics, etc.) that would make more sense and add more thought to the game as a strategic element than Golden Ages.

* Are Golden Ages to stop a civ from just getting better & better and never falling (some sort of game balance)?

If you find a single nation getting better and better under millennia of a single person's wise leadership distasteful or "inaccurate", perhaps Civ isn't the right game for you.

If you want to stop the "rich-get-richer" syndrome, then infrastructure problems for large empires, stagnating culture, urban crowding, or similar elements would do more to alleviate this than having every civ get arbitrary Golden Ages. Heck, even arbitrary pro-underdog anti-success elements like plagues in large empires or an even steeper learning curve for technologically advanced civs would be more effective at countering the "rich-get-richer" issue than Golden Ages.

If for some reason you believe that all civilizations must have golden ages and enforced fluctuations in their power in order to be "realistic", then again perhaps Civ isn't the right game for you.

As a concept, I think Golden Ages NEITHER add flavor & fun to the game NOR are they a good way to add strategy to the game NOR do they add to realism or game balance. I guess I need to read "The List" to find out why everyone was clamoring for this "rise and fall" aspect.
Old September 10, 2001, 17:48   #20
dennis580
Warlord

Local Time: 07:11
They should just scrap the UU golden age trigger and instead just use major wonders to trigger golden age's. Nobody should be guanranteed a golden age you should have to earn it.
Old September 10, 2001, 20:59   #21
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 00:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by dennis580
They should just scrap the UU golden age trigger and instead just use major wonders to trigger golden age's. Nobody should be guanranteed a golden age you should have to earn it.
A UU is not guaranteed to win a battle, but on the other hand, a player is practically guaranteed to get a GA by wonder-building. Even if the other players take *all* the great wonders, the small wonders can *always* be build by every civ, thereby satisfying the peaceful GA option.

The peaceful GA is guaranteed by building wonders.
Old September 10, 2001, 21:23   #22
shum00
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:11
I do not agree with the choice of when to have your golden age for this reason: Say it is your era to have a golden age, but you are at war with a much more powerful nation which has captured many of your cities. You are surrounded and have little chance of survival. Why the heck would your people have a golden age?
Old September 10, 2001, 21:38   #23
dennis580
Warlord

Minor wonders cann't trigger golden ages only Major wonders can. Also each Major wonder has only 2 different attributes and the wonders or wonders you build must have the combintaion of your civ attributes for you to trigger a golden age.

So as you can see probaly only 2,3, or 4 civs would get a golden age in the game wonders were the only option.
Old September 11, 2001, 08:14   #24
Grim Legacy
Prince

This actually puzzles me. Now a wonder or two will trigger the GA? And also a military victory by a special unit? Hm!

I like the first idea better. Much better.
Old September 11, 2001, 15:37   #25
Ralf
King

Quote:
Well, in princip I could sympathize with the latter. That was my viewpoint also, not long ago. Since then I have become a little worried though, that an "hard to achieve, only max 2-3 civs can make it" exclusive Great wonder trigger alone, plays too much in the hands of the clever civ-veteran player.
Theres a risk that mostly HP manage to build these GA-triggering wonders (and on top of that also be rewarded with the GA-bonus) - while these same wonders and (as an additional punishment) the GA-bonus effect becomes automatically excluded for (mostly) the AI-civs.

In an MP-game that wouldnt matter - yes, a few winners takes it all: thats the name of the game, one could argue. But in a MP-setup, one assume every contender are "Civ-pro's", so they all play on reasonably equal terms. In a SP-game on the other hand, the HP has a great "playfield overview advantage", that the AI-civs dont have.

So because of this I prefer a trigger that is more neutral (like my free to trigger within UU-era suggestion).

Another potential flaw with having only the current Great Wonder-trigger, is that gameplay stands the risk of take some beating. This because every civ becomes so totally concentrated on having these Great wonders (and as a result: the very worthwhile GA-bonus also), that everything else gets down-prioritized as much as possible. Like in Civ-2, then your 2-3 earliest (most developed) cities always started with building exclusive wonders (after sending away some settlers), before building any basic city-improvements. But now, with the current Great Wonder-trigger only, that problem would be even worse.

Quote:
Originally posted by shum00
I do not agree with the choice of when to have your golden age for this reason: Say it is your era to have a golden age, but you are at war with a much more powerful nation which has captured many of your cities. You are surrounded and have little chance of survival. Why the heck would your people have a golden age?
But you must compare with what we already got. Lets take your own example:

You are invaded by a more powerful enemy, but if you manage to kill a single enemy-unit with your Civ-specific unit, you currently get your Golden Age despite being "surrounded and have little chance of survival". So keeping the current UU-trigger wont solve your objections.

Since Civ-3 is a game only however (and not reality), the "Golden Age" should work as a fun "one era only, and only once" BOOST-function, gameplay-technically speaking. Let it be the players own choice (within specific era-limits) when to trigger GA.

What I dont like with the current UU-trigger is that it is "shoved down your throat", regardless if you want it or not/ regardless if your empire is that great, or not. Alternatively: You have to work as hell to get it.
An example: Lets say you play greece (specific unit: the hoplite = 1-3-1). If the GA is triggered by succesfully defending an attack, then all that defence-powerful hoplite has to do is to fortify itself on a defensive terrain-tile, or behind city-walls, and you are more or less garanteed GA as soon as you gets attacked.
On the other hand: IF GA only can be triggered by succesfully attacking a foreign unit; the you have to move out your slow & attack-weak Hoplite in order to find that damn foreign attack-object - and quickly before that weak 1-point attack-factor becomes hopelessly impotent. Is this a good UU-trigger solution, or what?

Last edited by Ralf; September 11, 2001 at 17:14.
Old September 11, 2001, 22:31   #26
jsw363
Prince

Local Time: 05:11
Quote:
Minor wonders cann't trigger golden ages only Major wonders can.

Dennis-

I disagree. I've posted this before on other threads. If Major Wonders could only trigger GAs, that would mean that there are only 12 wonders with this power. Thus The Art of War AND Hoover Dam would be among these Major Wonders (along with the Great Wall). I find it HIGHLY unlikely that something as insignificant as the Hoover Dam would make it as a Major Wonder, especially considering that there are only 12 of them. It just doesn't make sense.

It makes MUCH more sense that these are Minor Wonders with only one attribute (militaristic, scientific etc.) as opposed to Major Wonders which would have two attributes. (Great Wall being one example.)
Old September 11, 2001, 22:39   #27
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

...but the civ3 developer update VERY STRONGLY implies that only major wonders can cause golden ages (Great Wonders are also now associated with one or more of the Civilization strengths) and so implies that Art of War and Hoover Dam are major wonders.
Old September 12, 2001, 13:09   #28
Ralf
King

Quote:
Originally posted by jsw363
If Major Wonders could only trigger GAs, that would mean that there are only 12 wonders with this power.
I agree that with 12 great wonders and 6 attributes (= only 1-3 exclusive great wonders per attribute), it seems relatively easy to prevent/ be prevented from ever using this trigger.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyller
...but the civ3 developer update VERY STRONGLY implies that only major wonders can cause golden ages (Great Wonders are also now associated with one or more of the Civilization strengths) and so implies that Art of War and Hoover Dam are major wonders.
First I had the viewpoint that jsw363 now have, but after reading the latest & last part of the official developer update several times over, I slowly came to the conclusion that the viewpoint that Kyller stands for, is the more correct & likely one.

As for "Art of war" & "Hoower dam" as great wonders? Well, I understand your mixed feelings jsw363, but if they can be justifiable from a gameplay/game-balance point of view, then I can accept it.

By the way: IF "World Trade Center" is a wonder (I dont know), they should change the name & pictorial representation. Maybe International Trade Tower, or something. Aquiring Wonders should give the player a positive feeling - he shouldnt be reminded too blatantly of that terrorist act each and every time.

Last edited by Ralf; September 12, 2001 at 13:21.