Old October 2, 2001, 22:29   #31
Jacobite1688
Spanish Civers
Prince

Local Time: 07:12
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Civ II in Latin?
Wow! There is interest. Well, I have a scenario that I HAVE to finish working on first. It was almost done when the attacks on the United States killed my taste for "time wasting" recreation to some extent. I will try to finish that this week. (see Scenario Leauge thread "2.42?") If I get that done, and my wife is willing to help me, I will begin writing a Latin translation of Civ II - I'll write it to the .ger files.
Old October 3, 2001, 23:57   #32
EyesOfNight

What do you think i just said marquis? Maybe you should re read my post to understand it better.

Old October 4, 2001, 06:02   #33
Carolus Rex
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 15:12
The two are equivalent, I think.

Either way, I don't fiddle with the science rate to discover the tech to get an instant government change. I do what EnigmaticGod said in his post. If the other way (a la Marquis de Sodaq) is superior, let me know.

Carolus
Old October 4, 2001, 06:11   #34
Carolus Rex
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEM
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by EnigmaticGod
I have never used them before. I'm too lazy to count out the years and I don't feel the reward is worth my effort.
You surprise me! In the early game I think it makes a big difference. You work that hard with the demographics screen, but you're too lazy too remember this simple formula: xx50, where xx is any even number between 38 and 10 (I think) at deity? Come on!

Why don't you think it's worth the effort?

Carolus
Old October 4, 2001, 12:50   #35
EyesOfNight

Because I already have a winning game and I don't really see any need to improve it. If someone forces me to change how I play, then I might. But there isn't anyone to do that and I've kind of reached a climax in what I do. My game has changed many times over the years in order to stay ahead of everyone. It's not so much that I don't know how to do it, it's that it doesn't really cross my mind. 50% of the time I hit the year right anyways just by sheer chance. I'm doing too many other things at that point of the game and that's just one more thing to remember. And since I don't really play anymore, I don't really care.

Old October 4, 2001, 14:43   #36
HalfLotus
Never Ending Stories
King

Local Time: 09:12
I don't really play anymore, but I still like to post in the strategy forums about tactics that I didn't use when I did play. Also, I don't care.
Old October 4, 2001, 17:02   #37
debeest
Prince

Local Time: 05:12
Would it be possible (say, perhaps, by a 90% vote and the agreement of the moderator) to prohibit a specified person from posting at Apolyton?

Just wondering.
Old October 4, 2001, 17:20   #38
debeest
Prince

If I'm not mistaken, Enig's method is inferior. If you titrate your tech so as to learn the government tech DURING the "building" portion of the turn at the beginning of the revolution year, you suffer anarchy only for the remainder of that build turn, which may mean absolutely no anarchy at all. If you learn the tech any other time and then revolt at the end of the turn before the revolution year, you suffer anarchy for one entire build turn.

It may feel like cheating to have learned this arbitrary secret of the game, and especially to have learned it from others rather than having figured it out for oneself, but difficult it is not, and extremely useful it is.
Old October 4, 2001, 22:38   #39
EyesOfNight

I've given up on pointing out the stupidity of others debeest, I'll let someone else do it for me.

Old October 5, 2001, 09:15   #40
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 23:12
i tried this in a MP game and it didnt seem to work, i got Revolution anyway!!! does it always work and does it work in MP too
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old October 5, 2001, 10:31   #41
La Fayette
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 14:12
Quote:
Because I already have a winning game and I don't really see any need to improve it
Come on EG!
There is a comparison game on its way NOW (look at the thread named 'Come, laugh at the SGs').
If you are so sure to be the best, SHOW US!
Play one game and send your results, honestly, as the others do.
Old October 5, 2001, 12:58   #42
EyesOfNight

Don't make a fool of yourself la fayette. He's not even using civ 2 gold, he's using 2.42. Not only that he's playing against the AI which is a waste of my time. The AI is for rookies. If you really want to put my skills to the test you need only play me a game.

Old October 5, 2001, 13:02   #43
Marquis de Sodaq
King

You, EG, even in your new guise, continue to be the one who makes a fool of himself with the sour attitude. If the AI is so wimpy and you are so good, post some results to back up the bragging.

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old October 5, 2001, 13:04   #44
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 13:12
Raz - 2.42 & MPGE report the year in which a tech is discovered differently - in 2.42 the year counter has not yet advanced and it says 2100BC, when in fact it is the beginning of 2050BC, MPGE correctly reports 2050BC - this can be highly embarrassing if you get it wrong!!
Old October 5, 2001, 13:11   #45
SlowThinker
GameLeagueApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Marquis de Sodaq
You, EG, even in your new guise, continue to be the one who makes a fool of himself with the sour attitude. If the AI is so wimpy and you are so good, post some results to back up the bragging.
Didn't you suggest once in the past to ignore Enigmatic Eyes?
Old October 5, 2001, 15:05   #46
La Fayette
King

EG, I am afraid you are a bragger combined with a coward.
A few weeks ago, Dave offered you a game and you just stayed silent. Now I offer you one and you say it's for rookies.
It's a pity you behave so, since you are probably a clever player at this game and I am quite sure you could bring some useful knowledge to your fellows, like most other good players do.
Too bad.

(La Fayette, sorry for EG)
Old October 5, 2001, 21:15   #47
EyesOfNight

Wait a minute here, dave didn't challenge me to a game. Where was this at? And you aren't offering me a game. if you were offering me a game you would say "Lets set up a game. What's the IP?" You do not say "Lets play against the AI and compare the saves."

Old October 6, 2001, 03:32   #48
La Fayette
King

EG
'Let us play against the AI and compare the saves'
this is exactly what my proposal was.
People like Xin Yu, smash, arii, or the Gits are no rookies (or do you think they are?) and they find it just fine.
And comparing my savegames to theirs IS a challenge.
If you deny to compare yours, I can't help thinking there is some kind of cowardice behind it.
Have a nice time playing MP, EG (AFAIK there is a forum where you can find challengers). Not with me though, since I haven't played one MP game in my life.
As far as Dave is concerned, I don't remember what kind of game he offered, but it is very easy to ask him, if you don't fear it.
Old October 6, 2001, 10:08   #49
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 13:12
As I recall, DaveV proposed one of our 'standard' games i.e. Deity, Raging, Random map and 'Eyes' as EG then was declined on the grounds that Deity & Raging just made the game a lottery - but I may be misremembering.
Old October 6, 2001, 12:12   #50
EyesOfNight

Ok, that proposal from DaveV was like 2 or 3 months ago. SEcond, I offered to compromise on settings and he would only play one setting. And you're right, I do consider all of them rookies with the exception of arii. Anyone who plays against the AI is a rookie. Try playing an MP game la fayette and then come talk to me. It doesn't take a genius to beat up on the AI. And I am the one who asked DaveV to a game, he didn't ask me to a game.

Old October 7, 2001, 07:58   #51
La Fayette
King

about rookies
EG
You can call me a rookie at playing MP. This is perfectly true: I have never played an MP game (yet?).
I don't call you a rookie at playing SP, since I know that you have certainly played SP a lot before starting MP.
That is why I call you a coward.
If you wish to give lessons to those playing MP, then play against
Rah or Ming or other strong MP players, and post your results on the MP forum.
If you wish to give lessons to those playing SP, then show us what you can achieve, come and play the SGs' comparison game.
I don't say you won't beat me. I know perfectly well how many mistakes I made in my last game.
As Dave used to say, all records are here to be beaten. I am quite sure you can beat me if you are as strong as you seem to think you are. But if you just stay there and say La Fayette is a rookie, I say you are a coward.
Old October 7, 2001, 14:47   #52
EyesOfNight

Do you know how many people have called me a coward or told me to put my money where my mouth is? You think you are the first? You are just another in a long long line of players who have done it. I used to answer every challenge that came my way. However I no longer just jump in and start proving my worth. The fact of the matter is your insults and your stature don't warrant my time. I can't go out and prove every rookie wrong that I come accross. And while I think rah and Ming are good guys, they aren't what I would call strong MP players. Markusf, Arii, Kaak, and a few others, those are strong MP players. Ming and Rah are intermediates for lack of a better word. And I'm not here to give lessons to SP players. I don't really care what SP players do because they're still living in the past. SP was the in thing about 3 years ago. You want to be a top player these days, you have to play MP. You can't compare a human to an AI, the computer will never be able to match the intelligence needed. The fact of the matter is a 5 year old can beat the AI on Deity. You want to challenge me to a game? Fine, you have to prove you're worth it first and you have to play MP.

Old October 7, 2001, 16:45   #53
La Fayette
King

EG
It is very clear that you despise SP. That doesn't leave much to be discussed between you and me, since I don't play MP.
There is at least one strong MP player who is more open-minded than you are, namely arii. He is one of those who take part in the comparison game that I mentioned, just after having played the 'Discover' scenario with me. And I am glad to tell you that he is a strong SP player.
I have started a PBEM game with some other rookies, so perhaps that leads us to playing MP later on...
BTW EG, AFAIK there is no MP version of civ3 coming out in the near future. Aren't you going to play SP meanwhile?
Old October 7, 2001, 16:55   #54
Smash
Emperor

Eyes knows how to play.We did the how many wonders in cap by 1ad.We did the all tech on prince by 1000bc.2x of course.
He came up with a great idea in that.Build up a fat city and let the ai have it.Then use it for your trading.

I don't why he acts the way he does.He just likes being the protagonist I guess.
Old October 7, 2001, 17:53   #55
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 08:12
Quote:
And while I think rah and Ming are good guys, they aren't what I would call strong MP players. Markusf, Arii, Kaak, and a few others, those are strong MP players. Ming and Rah are intermediates for lack of a better word.
I disagree... Markusf, Arii, Kaak, and a few others, those are GREAT MP players. Rah and I are some of the strong ones

I never claimed to be number one... because frankly, it would ring REALLY Hollow

But I can hold my own against some of the great players...
Old October 7, 2001, 20:27   #56
EyesOfNight

That's great la fayette. I'm happy for arii. I on the other hand won't waste my time on it. I've been spanking the AI since I was 10. I've played ALL the scenarios against the AI and I find them all a waste of time. There is no way you can ever convince me playing against the AI proves anything. And obviously I will play some SP when civ 3 comes out, that has nothing to do with playing civ2 sp. Ming those that I mentioned can't beat me. I won't go into the win loss record with them. So therefore only I am a GREAT player and they are just strong players. MUWAHAHAHA!!!!

Old October 7, 2001, 21:53   #57
La Fayette
King

muwahahaha
Then comes civ3 and we all play SP together...for a while, and even EG will be a rookie then
MUWAHAHAHA
Old October 7, 2001, 22:58   #58
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 08:12
Quote:
Ming those that I mentioned can't beat me. I won't go into the win loss record with them. So therefore only I am a GREAT player and they are just strong players. MUWAHAHAHA!!!!
picky... picky... picky
Old October 8, 2001, 04:30   #59
La Fayette
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Smash
Eyes knows how to play

I don't why he acts the way he does.He just likes being the protagonist I guess.
You sum up exactly what I think.
...and if we look at the brilliant side of the coin before tossing, it will be fun to have protagonists when civ3 comes to us.
Old October 8, 2001, 10:13   #60
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Quote:
Originally posted by SlowThinker
Didn't you suggest once in the past to ignore Enigmatic Eyes?
Yes, I ought to heed my own advice...

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.