Old September 19, 2001, 20:47   #151
Stromprophet
Warlord

Local Time: 07:12
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Kaak
sheesh...Another guy posted an e-mail from firaxis that said they weren't going to include multiplayer. His post stated that it was going to be an "add-on or something"

MP IS NOT IN THE LIMITED EDITION
You would believe these people of course kaak. I thought you knew better. Besides, firaxis isn't directly responsible for telling anyone what's in the game. The civ III team and Sid are responsible for that.

Of course I've always had my skepticism about this. Although I would appreciate it if they hadn't directly said in the FAQ months ago, YES multiplayer will definitely be in Civ III.
Old September 19, 2001, 20:53   #152
Stromprophet
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Wiglaf
I guess we should refrain from all these judgements until we get the final word, but just the fact there is a LE is a bit disappointing.

smac's AI was good?

I bow to your might.

I don't assume everything is "crap". I'm trying to prove that Firaxis is getting greedy and has started to use unreasonable (speaking from a consumer's standpoint) tactics (LE, no multiplayer) and isn't the perfect, friendly company they seem to be. Is that opinion tolerated?
Your opinion is noted and rejected.

To me Firaxis is great. Because they're one of the few companies that never lied about their release date on this game. I can think of many notable companies that say this game will be out at such and such time and years later it's still on the shelf.

LE. Maybe, but I've seen the same thing with lots of gaming companies. To me they are providing a product that oldschool players or really dedicated civ fans might like to have, while providing an affordable version at the same time. They are not forcing you to buy LE. Ok.

I would rather they release the game wihtout mplayer if the mplayer wasn't ready. I can think of countless games that had too little beta and too little online testing and made a poor product.

This time, however, I highly doubt we will see a gold version that costs just as much. We will see a patch, or an expansion with extra scenarios. Which will cost what 20$ and usually worth it, considering they always make high quality scenarios in my opinion.
Old September 19, 2001, 23:54   #153
Kaak
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

i didn't say it wouldn't be in civ3, i said it won't be in the limited edition...

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."
Old September 19, 2001, 23:58   #154
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 09:12
SP and CIV go hand in hand. However, anyone who says that MP isn't adaptable to CIV hasn't played pbem Alpha Centauri. It's in depth, immersive, extraordinary gaming when playing with other people. Yeah, it can take a while, but then so does laying railroad track.

Old September 20, 2001, 00:16   #155
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

I can and I will throw my money at them!

And SP ain't just for pansies, its for yo momma too!

And I- yes, ME- am the one.... true... CIV player!

only me.... no one else... just me...

Old September 20, 2001, 09:48   #156
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 06:12
Nope!
I will proudly hold my head up high, walk into the software store and plunk down the $$ for Civ3 the second it is on the shelves.

Why?

1.) I could give a rat's buttocks about MP. I've always been a civ SP player, find MP arduous and next to impossible with my modem connection as it is.

2.) The details of the new AI have me quite quite excited.

3.) The new graphics, features, etc. are enough to keep me happy happy happy.

4.) Civ rocks. How could one NOT buy it when it comes out? As I've said before, people making this threat are kidding themselves and just being childish. MP is not, contrary to popular opinion, a requirement in a game nowadays. It is, ultimately, their game and they have the right to release it as they see fit. Don't like that? Fine. Don't buy it. I will try to think of you and feel sorry for you when I am busy conquering the world.

Cheers.
Old September 20, 2001, 10:11   #157
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 15:12
Re: Civ III, Don't Buy If SP only
Quote:
Originally posted by SlowwHand
Don't throw your money at them, just because they want a quick buck.

Civ II has been a hassle deluxe, with the bugs and patches and B.S.
Cast a vote. Don't buy it if it isn't right, and SP isn't right.

You do want you want, but I'm going to buy Civ III when it's
out for sale. So just stick to Civ II and wait for doomsday.
Old September 20, 2001, 13:34   #158
Stromprophet
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Anunikoba
I can and I will throw my money at them!

And SP ain't just for pansies, its for yo momma too!

And I- yes, ME- am the one.... true... CIV player!

only me.... no one else... just me...

Sure you are.

I wodner who on the forum here has actually played Civ the longest. Did anyone here get to play Civ before it was released in stores?

Me. Since the first release.
Old September 20, 2001, 13:36   #159
Stromprophet
Warlord

Re: Re: Civ III, Don't Buy If SP only
Quote:
Originally posted by Rasbelin

You do want you want, but I'm going to buy Civ III when it's
out for sale. So just stick to Civ II and wait for doomsday.
Or CTP3! Comeon, I'm sure activision will get it right one of these times.
Old September 20, 2001, 13:40   #160
Boris Godunov
Emperor

HA!
Quote:
Or CTP3! Comeon, I'm sure activision will get it right one of these times.

Thanks for the laugh! Wooo, that's one of the best ones I've heard in a while!

Cheers.
Old September 20, 2001, 13:43   #161
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Hmmm
Quote:
Originally posted by Stromprophet

Sure you are.

I wodner who on the forum here has actually played Civ the longest. Did anyone here get to play Civ before it was released in stores?

Me. Since the first release.
Wow, good question.

When I was a junior in high school, which was 1992, my brother cam home from his freshman year in college with his laptop. He showed me this game, Civilization, that I had never heard of. I started to play it at around 8 PM. He went to bed. Next time I looked at the clock, it was 5:30 AM. I remember it vividly!

Ever since then, I've been a civ addict to the bone. I bought Civ II the instant it hit the shelves, and even bought a new computer so I could run it better (which tells you how crappy mine was at the time!).

2001, and still going.

Cheers.
Old September 20, 2001, 14:11   #162
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

Local Time: 08:12
Quote:
Your opinion is noted and rejected.

Quote:
To me Firaxis is great. Because they're one of the few companies that never lied about their release date on this game. I can think of many notable companies that say this game will be out at such and such time and years later it's still on the shelf.
I wouldn't say they "never" lied about a release date, and even if their record is perfect in that regard, it sure doesn't justify blindly shelling out $50 for a potentially rushed game

Quote:
LE. Maybe, but I've seen the same thing with lots of gaming companies. To me they are providing a product that oldschool players or really dedicated civ fans might like to have, while providing an affordable version at the same time. They are not forcing you to buy LE. Ok.
Really dedicated civ fans?

I'm a really dedicated civ fan. I don't appreciate having to pay $20 extra to get something that reflects that. Of course I don't have to buy the LE. And I won't. But the fact that there is one, without a multiplayer in any version, shows money takes rank over the consumer.

Quote:
I would rather they release the game wihtout mplayer if the mplayer wasn't ready. I can think of countless games that had too little beta and too little online testing and made a poor product.
Whoever said it wasn't ready? It doesn't take an unreasonable amount of time to polish up what they've started, however much it is. You're being suckered into buying an unfinished game. It's the 21st century, and Firaxis is omitting MP in a genre where, to many, it is so crucial.

"firaxis is great"? Depends on how you look at it
Old September 20, 2001, 14:24   #163
Stromprophet
Warlord

Quote:

I wouldn't say they "never" lied about a release date, and even if their record is perfect in that regard, it sure doesn't justify blindly shelling out $50 for a potentially rushed game

Really dedicated civ fans?

I'm a really dedicated civ fan. I don't appreciate having to pay $20 extra to get something that reflects that. Of course I don't have to buy the LE. And I won't. But the fact that there is one, without a multiplayer in any version, shows money takes rank over the consumer.

Whoever said it wasn't ready? It doesn't take an unreasonable amount of time to polish up what they've started, however much it is. You're being suckered into buying an unfinished game. It's the 21st century, and Firaxis is omitting MP in a genre where, to many, it is so crucial.

"firaxis is great"? Depends on how you look at it
I said that dedicated civ fans, (and anyone else I suppose) MIGHT like to buy.

You don't have to buy it. But it's nice to have that option.

I highly doubt the game is rushed at all. They've been working on it since 1999. Besides, it's mainly Infogames choice as to how to market the game not Firaxis.

Hmmmmmm, when was the last time I pplayed a Tbased game online.

Maybe Shogun, although that game is nothing Compared to Civ II.

And Moo2, but it also stinks online.

So what other turnbased game am I going to be playing online. I'll settle for the product as is.

Yes, I'm so being suckered, please for the love of god help me.
Old September 20, 2001, 14:39   #164
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Stromprophet

Maybe Shogun, although that game is nothing Compared to Civ II.
shogun doesn't even count bvecause the multiplayer is entir++++rts
Old September 20, 2001, 14:41   #165
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

Quote:
I highly doubt the game is rushed at all. They've been working on it since 1999

I can tell you it's rushed just by looking at the current situation:

1) no MP
2) so-so graphics
3) no information about the AI
4) no solid evidence as to when the game actually went into development
5) there's a pretty, flashy LE but no pretty, flashy game to go with it?
Old September 20, 2001, 17:38   #166
FuFu15
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:12
"stromprophet" (shouldnt it be storm?) you, how can i say this...intelligence. You're saying its ok for them to release a rushed/unrefined product so they dont "lie" about a release date? And its not like companies "lie" about release dates, they just project wrong. They try to make the game better. I dont see whats so wrong with that. Also, as earlier stated, its the TWENTY FIRST CENTRY. 2001 . F'ing Windows XP shipped with "ONLINE CHECKERS . An f'ing OS has the capability to run a simple turn based online game. its not like the game's real time or that complicated. Hell they could use the netcode from SMAC and make a few adjustments for all i care. just include SOME SORT of multiplayer.
Old September 20, 2001, 17:53   #167
faded glory
King

Civ3 will be a joke without MP. All the SP idiots will beat the game and return it like CTP2

AI=Unreal, stupid, and probably doesnt understand the situation its in

PBEM/MP= Real, fun, diplomacy, Real threats, REAL disputes, and Real life decisions. Dont believe me? Drop bye the CTP-Multiplaying section sometime and read the PBEM turn posts . These are all people who wanted a challenge the AI could never provide.
Old September 20, 2001, 20:11   #168
Stromprophet
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by FuFu15
"stromprophet" (shouldnt it be storm?) you, how can i say this...intelligence. You're saying its ok for them to release a rushed/unrefined product so they dont "lie" about a release date? And its not like companies "lie" about release dates, they just project wrong. They try to make the game better. I dont see whats so wrong with that. Also, as earlier stated, its the TWENTY FIRST CENTRY. 2001 . F'ing Windows XP shipped with "ONLINE CHECKERS . An f'ing OS has the capability to run a simple turn based online game. its not like the game's real time or that complicated. Hell they could use the netcode from SMAC and make a few adjustments for all i care. just include SOME SORT of multiplayer.
It's stromprophet.

God, are you high. I said they have been working on the game since 1999. I doubt it's rushed at all. The fact that they had the game practically done months ago should tell anyone that it's not rushed.

I'll site Blizzard on that. While they release decent games, they do lie. It's not projected things either. Oh we shipped last Sunday the game will be in stores next week. Whooops! We mean wait one more year.

Firaxis has been polishing the game for months, it's really ready. And as I said before, they were talking about working on some new concepts with the Mplayer, things we haven't seen before.

Yeah, It wouldn't be that hard to give us something simple. But they don't want to make it a simple experience, they want a memorable experience.

I like that you're talking down to me like you know something. That's quite interesting.
Old September 20, 2001, 20:14   #169
Stromprophet
Warlord

Quote:

1) no MP
2) so-so graphics
3) no information about the AI
4) no solid evidence as to when the game actually went into development
5) there's a pretty, flashy LE but no pretty, flashy game to go with it?
O dear lord shut up and leave already. If you have nothing positive to say get out. You're not helping anything.

Knowing from watching the making of Civ 3, you can get a good estimate of just how long they have been working on it. So, so graphics, you want CTP2 animations that move wrong or something??

The animations in the Video are awesome for the turn-based genre.

There is some very good info about the AI actually.

The last one sounds like a lame attempt at something. Are you drinking while trying to think or something.
Old September 20, 2001, 20:17   #170
Stromprophet
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by faded glory
Civ3 will be a joke without MP. All the SP idiots will beat the game and return it like CTP2

AI=Unreal, stupid, and probably doesnt understand the situation its in

PBEM/MP= Real, fun, diplomacy, Real threats, REAL disputes, and Real life decisions. Dont believe me? Drop bye the CTP-Multiplaying section sometime and read the PBEM turn posts . These are all people who wanted a challenge the AI could never provide.
CTP SUCKS! Stop promoting that crap. I played it online, it's actually worse online than the single player forums. A classic example of a ho game that copies. The Unit animations in ToT are better than Ctp2.

I'll agree that I love mplayer, because I'm good at it and it is a challenge. Doesn't change the fact that CTP's gameplay ruins the game.

I'm patient enough to wait for the online experience. They provided a great experience last time and will do so again. I waited then I'll wait now.
Old September 20, 2001, 21:32   #171
faded glory
King

I know CTP sucks! Mplayer made it all that much better!

thats not the point! Mplayer is the future of Computer gaming! That is the point im trying to make

Firaxis has just pulled there own plug if they dont include MP. People will return the game upon winning, mark my words.
Old September 20, 2001, 21:42   #172
Stromprophet
Warlord

You are wrong. If you actually checked any numbers or looked at anything you might be able to argue. Check out all the Civ III fan sites with votes. Everyone is getting the game regardless.

Also most sites are showing a strong majority that has said We want SP now we can wait for MP.

Besides, the Publisher markets the game. It's probably infogames fault not Firaxis.
Old September 20, 2001, 22:15   #173
Sarxis
Emperor

Ok, and another thing:

Ever since I heard that CivIII was being released THIS YEAR, I was rather amazed. It was earlier this year that we were all talking about that dinoasaurs game, and up until recently, thought THAT game was going to be released long before CivIII. I think maybe somebody at Infogrames stuck it to Firaxis to get the ball rolling faster with Civ, and push aside the project that they were actually working on more diligently.

The whole project seems like it has been pushed to be finished fast- not that CivIII is being rushed too much, though we know FIraxis would probably have liked a bit more time with it just to get MP all good. But hey, this is the smart market thing to do, and we will probably see some knew faces in Apolyton and the CIV community because CivIII will be released in time for X-mas; and next year, we will be playing MP too.

SO what? SO buttons on ice-cream, and see if you can lick them off!
Old September 20, 2001, 22:35   #174
Stromprophet
Warlord

I believe they announced Civ III at E3 1999. So the plans were there for a long time.

And also I heard a playable version was demonstrated at E3 this year.

A man that was checking for Sowftware leaks in the game on the Making of Civ III video said he had spent more than 1 year of his life helping write this game.

They weren't working "that" hard on Dinosaurs. It was one of Sid's personal projects.
Old September 20, 2001, 23:13   #175
Kaak
King

sheep i say, you are all sheep....

ps- getting the game and paying 50$ for it are two entirely different things. I will be more than happy to pay for the complete game, but i won't pay for this rubish (although I might *get* it...)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."
Old September 20, 2001, 23:27   #176
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Wonderful, promote piracy, because you spoiled child won't get exactly what you want .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old September 21, 2001, 01:01   #177
tuckson
Warlord

Local Time: 14:12
Quote:

2) so-so graphics
What's wrong with the graphics?
I think I like 'em...
-------------------------------><------------------------------
Old September 21, 2001, 05:03   #178
Earthling7
Mac
Prince

Local Time: 14:12
MP is for imperialists. It is for savage little kids that love to see other little kids squeel.

I refuse to buy the game if there is the slightest possibility of it having multiplayer capacities.

Old September 21, 2001, 05:35   #179
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 00:12
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Earthling7
I refuse to buy the game if there is the slightest possibility of it having multiplayer capacities.
Erm, thats a bit silly... If you really dont want to play multiplayer, dont join a MP game!!! Its that simple

And on a slightly different topic... I really like your quote, very true
Old September 21, 2001, 07:19   #180
Colonel Kraken
PtWDG Legoland
Warlord

I've been reading and keeping track of this thread for a while, and it all seems pretty silly to me. Sure, I think it's deplorable that (if it's true) MP will not be included in the initial release.

But we've been waiting for Civ3 for ssoooo long, I'd like something to show for it. Give me Civ3 SP to learn and have fun with now, then I will use MP later when that component is finished.

I was really upset when, after press releases and magazine articles claiming otherwise, Hotseat play was not available with CtP. However, I sent them an e-mail telling them my main reason for purchasing CtP was because they had claimed it would have hotseat play. They quickly sent me a kind reply that stated hotseat play would be available soon via a downloadable patch. That was all the assurance I needed; I didn't feel as if I had been cheated just because a particular feature was not available right away.

Was it a hassle to download the patch? I don't think so. I still got the product I wanted. In the mean time I simply played SP until the patch was available. That was good enough for me.

I hope it will be good enough for you.