Old September 21, 2001, 07:42   #181
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 15:12
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I think I've changed my mind. I'll buy the game anyway. I have enough money to do so.

But I don't like to be forced to do it .

Give us MP from the beginning to save your reputation!
Old September 21, 2001, 07:49   #182
Earthling7
Mac
Prince

Local Time: 14:12
Oh well, as long as it isn't going to be an expensive add-on package. If it's freely downloadable... good. I rest my case.
Old September 21, 2001, 08:32   #183
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 06:12
Ok, come on
All the whiners need to get some perspective. As I've said, MP is NOT a requirement, particularly in a turn-based strategy game. If you want MP, then fine, don't buy it. Just don't go telling me I have to do this or that with the game.

I trust Firaxis and Sid Meier because they have an excellent record. Every Firaxis game I have purchased has been very well-done and virtually bug-free out of the box. Every Sid game I have bought has been the same and addictive and has never left my hard drive. Those saying people will play SP, beat it and return it are being stupid because 1) the vast majority of software vendors don't let you return open games anyway, and 2) I can't think of anyone I know who plays Civ II who has done that. Same with Alpha Centauri.

I have every confidence that Firaxis will deliver a complete, quality and wonderful product, whether it has MP or no at first.

Oh, and please keep in mind about the LE (I think whoever is griping about this is being a retard), that this is not Firaxis. It's their parent company. And who cares? If they want to make more money, that's great. Stimulate the economy. It in no way signifies the product will be bad. This IS capitalism, after all.

Cheers.
Old September 21, 2001, 15:12   #184
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

Local Time: 08:12
Quote:
dear lord shut up and leave already. If you have nothing positive to say get out. You're not helping anything.

Knowing from watching the making of Civ 3, you can get a good estimate of just how long they have been working on it. So, so graphics, you want CTP2 animations that move wrong or something??

The animations in the Video are awesome for the turn-based genre.

There is some very good info about the AI actually.

The last one sounds like a lame attempt at something. Are you drinking while trying to think or something.
First off, grow up and use actual arguements. What specific information has been released about the AI, besides generic press releases that tell you nothing about how it actually operates? Very little, and for a reason.

The animations are awesome? Ok, whatever, but personally I don't want those repetitive things all the time as well as the muddy backdrop of a planet. I'm all for a civ2-ish feel, but the screenshots and movies make the terrain look ugly. I hope they improve it, and I'm sure the game will look pretty good - but they didn't spend a lot of time polishing. And that's a sign of a rushed product.

And if you want to constantly use childlike insults, there's no point in talking to you anyway. I guess that's all your case is - I must be drunk.
Old September 21, 2001, 15:17   #185
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

Quote:
The last one sounds like a lame attempt at something. Are you drinking while trying to think or something.
to more directly answer your devastating comment, I actually think my original post was right on. When you have plans of releasing a pretty box and CD for your game, but no plans for an AI or an actual MP mode, something's wrong.
Old September 21, 2001, 23:00   #186
tniem
King

Gramphos, congrads on moving up to the King level.

Quote:
MP is for imperialists. It is for savage little kids that love to see other little kids squeel.

I refuse to buy the game if there is the slightest possibility of it having multiplayer capacities.
Wow that might have been the silliest piece I have ever read. MP possibilities = not buying game.
Old September 23, 2001, 08:15   #187
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 06:12
Quote:
Wow that might have been the silliest piece I have ever read. MP possibilities = not buying game
I think, judging by the tone of the post, that this was meant to be a silly overstatement. My hunch is he was making fun of all the people who are saying they won't buy the game unless it has MP.

At least, I hope it is a joke...

Old September 23, 2001, 10:50   #188
tniem
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
At least, I hope it is a joke...
I hope so too.
Old September 23, 2001, 17:35   #189
Melios
Chieftain

Now wait, has the Civ3 Team, Sid, or Infogrames made ANY official statement DIRECTLY on this board or press (not someone's claim that he/she was told via E-Mail) that it will NOT ship with MP?

I have not seen any proof that it won't, just a bunch of convinced speculation.
Old September 23, 2001, 17:48   #190
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

be quiet, that's not important.
Old September 23, 2001, 19:03   #191
Stromprophet
Warlord

Local Time: 07:12
Quote:
Originally posted by Wiglaf

First off, grow up and use actual arguements. What specific information has been released about the AI, besides generic press releases that tell you nothing about how it actually operates? Very little, and for a reason.

The animations are awesome? Ok, whatever, but personally I don't want those repetitive things all the time as well as the muddy backdrop of a planet. I'm all for a civ2-ish feel, but the screenshots and movies make the terrain look ugly. I hope they improve it, and I'm sure the game will look pretty good - but they didn't spend a lot of time polishing. And that's a sign of a rushed product.

And if you want to constantly use childlike insults, there's no point in talking to you anyway. I guess that's all your case is - I must be drunk.
Hahaha. I like how all your arguments revolve around some zen theory that only you seem to have. There is actually very good info about the AI outside of press release. But then again, looking for it would be just too easy.

I like your cerebral opinion about game design and what looks good in this genre and what does not. Didn't spend a lot of time polishing? You know nothing, I'm through talking to. You clearly sit around and don't look for anything. The game has been in polish mode for months. But if you are unaware of that, it is your business. They've been working on it a pretty long time, which is a quality of a product that is not rushed. The movies were very good. If you want to play Dues Ex, or Silent Hill 2, go elsewhere.

The fact that your replies all revolve around answers that sound like they are coming from a neophyte makes me very amused. You should know even IF the graphics weren't good, they don't make the game. Gameplay makes the game.
Old September 23, 2001, 19:05   #192
Stromprophet
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Wiglaf

to more directly answer your devastating comment, I actually think my original post was right on. When you have plans of releasing a pretty box and CD for your game, but no plans for an AI or an actual MP mode, something's wrong.
I like all these assumptions. So I'm not going to play an AI when I play the game, interesting. Will I be playing an imaginary AI, or will the game just have no Computer opponents? You clearly have no idea how complex the AI in these games are. The code isn't exactly easy, the matrice as well as determinent calculations are actually quite horrendous.

You've heard nothing about these so you assume you know the game is a crappy product? Hmmmmmmm, yes, that sounds real reliable and educated.
Old September 23, 2001, 19:08   #193
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 09:12
Whine and complain all you want. I don't care anymore. I will buy CivIII, and will either be ravished with it's awesome gaming capabilities, or utterly disappointed.

Either way, I am excited about the game coming, so let me enjoy this time of anticipation. Because, hey! I ain't got nothin' better to do anyhow!
Old September 23, 2001, 22:49   #194
Kaak
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Wonderful, promote piracy, because you spoiled child won't get exactly what you want .
Or because I don't feel that the product they will be releasing is worth the price they will be asking for it. When the COMPLETE game is released, I will have no problem shelling out the $$$ for it, but I'm not going to pay for the game twice, just to get MP.

That's like buying dinner because you are hungry, even tho the dessert isn't ready yet, and then having to buy a complete other meal just to get the dessert. The are money grubbers I tell you, and I won't indulge them.

PIRATE THE GAME UNTIL MP IS RELEASED. Show them they can not treat us like this!!! (this is kind of like a call for a boycott, except better, because you still get to play the game

The bottom line is, when mp is released, I will pay firaxis what they deserve and are entitled to. I don't believe in free rides, but i also believe in getting my money's worth.

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."
Old September 23, 2001, 22:58   #195
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

I understand the concerns here, and I actually share in them. Of course I am concerned about the final CivIII product (in the same way I was with SW:Ep 1- but let's not talk about that).

I have come to the conclusion, though, that besides what is being posted here, there is nothing more I can do to make CivIII a better or worse game that what it will be when released.

I hope that the long wait isn't for nothing. But I have learned in my few years of life on this planet that I do not get everything I want, and sometimes this is for the better- for it can lead to something new and greater than what I anticipated.

Old September 24, 2001, 07:49   #196
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Stromprophet: if they've been polishing for months, where's MP? I could care less about the movie being released, considering that I'll spend many hours playing MP, while skipping the movie.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old September 24, 2001, 14:16   #197
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

Quote:
There is actually very good info about the AI outside of press release. But then again, looking for it would be just too easy.
FIND SOME!

Quote:
I like your cerebral opinion about game design and what looks good in this genre and what does not. Didn't spend a lot of time polishing? You know nothing, I'm through talking to. You clearly sit around and don't look for anything. The game has been in polish mode for months. But if you are unaware of that, it is your business. They've been working on it a pretty long time, which is a quality of a product that is not rushed. The movies were very good. If you want to play Dues Ex, or Silent Hill 2, go elsewhere.
frustrated?

Quote:
you know nothing
you do? here's where my common sense outweighs your poor attempt to justify $50 spent prematurely.

Quote:
You should know even IF the graphics weren't good, they don't make the game. Gameplay makes the game.
what gameplay are you referring to? the mounds of new features, or the AI that has to manage them?

Quote:
You've heard nothing about these so you assume you know the game is a crappy product? Hmmmmmmm, yes, that sounds real reliable and educated.

1) real - no, nothing is certain at this point, but some things are more likely than others
2) reliable - more than likely, see below as to why
3) educated - past experiance. SMAC, CTP2, Diplomacy, you get the picture. AIs rumored to be intelligent and cunning turned out to be complete BS.
Old September 24, 2001, 14:30   #198
Melios
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by DanS
Stromprophet: if they've been polishing for months, where's MP? I could care less about the movie being released, considering that I'll spend many hours playing MP, while skipping the movie.
I think the MP is there, but they're not done polishing it.

IMO, you guys are all worrying about nothing. I am convinced that the silence is a sign that Multiplayer will be in the release, only they're still beta testing it so they don't want to say anything that COULD be changed bewteen now and Civ3 going gold.
Old September 24, 2001, 14:32   #199
Shiva
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Melios

I think the MP is there, but they're not done polishing it.

IMO, you guys are all worrying about nothing. I am convinced that the silence is a sign that Multiplayer will be in the release, only they're still beta testing it so they don't want to say anything that COULD be changed bewteen now and Civ3 going gold.
I'll second that
The eagle soars and flies in peace and casts its shadow wide Across the land, across the seas, across the far-flung skies. The foolish think the eagle weak, and easy to bring to heel. The eagle's wings are silken, but its claws are made of steel. So be warned, you would-be hunters, attack it and you die, For the eagle stands for freedom, and that will always fly.

Darkness makes the sunlight so bright that our eyes blur with tears. Challenges remind us that we are capable of great things. Misery sharpens the edges of our joy. Life is hard. It is supposed to be.
Old September 24, 2001, 17:25   #200
ColdWizard
Civilization II MultiplayerGameLeagueNationStates
Emperor

who needs civ3 when there's baldur's gate 2?
Old September 24, 2001, 18:05   #201
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 00:12
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by ColdWizard
who needs civ3 when there's baldur's gate 2?
Almost everyone on the Civ 3 forums
Old September 24, 2001, 18:17   #202
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 23:12
WE WANT MULTIPLAYER!
Quote:
Originally posted by DanS
DAMN RIGHT.

I never watch the freaking movie either

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old September 24, 2001, 19:24   #203
Dugrik
Call to Power PBEMCivilization III PBEM
Prince

No matter how good they make the AI it will never be as good as playing against another human being or two or six. This is why MP is essential.

I prefer PBeM since I don't really have much in the way of free time now-a-days. Diplomacy is all by email; there's no hassling with connecting to a central server.

I'd really like to know if MP is going to be a patch or an additional $50 before I shell out for next month's SP version. If it's the latter, I'll wait to purchase Civ3 Gold in April.
Old September 24, 2001, 19:30   #204
Melios
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Dugrik

I'd really like to know if MP is going to be a patch or an additional $50 before I shell out for next month's SP version. If it's the latter, I'll wait to purchase Civ3 Gold in April.
Who said there won't be Multiplayer in the initial Civ3 release? Neither Firaxis or Infograms officially said it will be delayed.
Old September 24, 2001, 19:32   #205
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

Quote:
Originally posted by DanS I could care less about the movie being released, considering that I'll spend many hours playing MP, while skipping the movie.
... whereas the general buying public, over whom you are so much more important...
Old September 24, 2001, 20:16   #206
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 23:12
Some people are really acting like ******
Quote:
Originally posted by dainbramaged13

... whereas the general buying public, over whom you are so much more important...
Fool, he didn't say that he was more important. He is as important as any other consumer.

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old September 24, 2001, 23:42   #207
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
I'm all for a civ2-ish feel, but the screenshots and movies make the terrain look ugly. I hope they improve it, and I'm sure the game will look pretty good - but they didn't spend a lot of time polishing.
You been looking at another game? Or you don't have eyes?

Civ3 looks absoluetly beautiful at this point in time. Better than CtP by far!

As for AI, read Dan's comments on agression ratings for different civs. And an aside, how many games hype the AI? Not many at all.

Quote:
PIRATE THE GAME UNTIL MP IS RELEASED. Show them they can not treat us like this!!! (this is kind of like a call for a boycott, except better, because you still get to play the game
Like I said, spoiled children. If you don't like the fact that MP won't be in the original release DON'T PLAY THE ****ING GAME! Don't be an ******* and pirate it!
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old September 25, 2001, 00:20   #208
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 15:12
Quote:
Originally posted by Kaak
The bottom line is, when mp is released, I will pay firaxis what they deserve and are entitled to. I don't believe in free rides, but i also believe in getting my money's worth.
The bottom line is that not paying for anything you play is a simple theft and there ain't enough gloss to make you look like a Robin Hood. Besides, isn't there executive order or something signed that orders you to go out and do some serious shopping or the good ol' US economy is going to bust?
Old September 25, 2001, 10:48   #209
Melios
Chieftain

I still don't see why almost everyone jumped the gun and assumed there was no MP when Firaxis/Infogrames never backed it up officially. If they were going to delay MP until May, why wouldn't Infogrames officially announce it?
Old September 25, 2001, 11:10   #210
Triped
Warlord

I'm of the opinion that if something is wrong, our modification team here can fix it