Old April 2, 2001, 20:57   #1
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Local Time: 19:55
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Invincible Spaceship Construction?
I should be very surprised if this hasn't already been answered by some enterprising Civ player somewhere, but I was wondering about the rules for destroying your enemy Civ's spaceships. Apparently, you have to capture their capital city and raze their spaceship on the launchpad this way.

What happens if your enemy civ has no Palace in any city? Would you then have to attack and capture every last city to destroy their spaceship? What if the enemy civ has (through judicious usage of the Cheat command) more than one Palace? Will capturing either of them do?
Old April 2, 2001, 22:20   #2
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:55
if there is no capital then you must capture all the cities provided the ship hasn't already launched... if you take the cap more than once the ship will come down if they don't have the money to relocate.

A sneaky trick is to build your cap in the front lines as a new city and have it captured just before you launch.... if you do it after the fact you must pay 1000g to relocate and then your new city becomes the target of nukes and such.

I believe Makeo did this in MP once to the amazement of the others whom thought this was trickery or a cheat i don't remember now.

I say its smart tactics
Old April 3, 2001, 14:13   #3
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 23:55
I think that should read 'destroyed' rather than 'captured' - ie a small size 1 city with a defender & no walls or some such ...

------------------
Scouse Git[1]

"Staring at your screen in horror and disbelief when you open a saved game is one of the fun things of a succession game " - Hueij
"The Great Library must be built!"
"A short cut has to be challenging,
were it not so it would be 'the way'."
- Paul Craven
Old April 3, 2001, 17:08   #4
Marko Polo

quote:

Originally posted by Scouse Gits on 04-03-2001 02:13 PM
I think that should read 'destroyed' rather than 'captured' - ie a small size 1 city with a defender & no walls or some such ...

True, but I'm still not convinced.. I think I must test this one out! After all, if enemy destroys my size one city, he still can plunder a tech from there.

Old April 4, 2001, 00:50   #5
Marko Polo

quote:

Originally posted by War4ever on 04-02-2001 10:20 PM
A sneaky trick is to build your cap in the front lines as a new city and have it captured just before you launch.... if you do it after the fact you must pay 1000g to relocate and then your new city becomes the target of nukes and such.

Hmm.. wouldn't capturing your capital destroy the space ship in production? At least if I capture enemy capitol that happens.

Another sneaky trick (what I have heard) is to build a new city, rushbuild your palace there and when it's still size one, build a settler there thus disbanding our capitol..

Old April 4, 2001, 06:55   #6
Marko Polo

quote:

Originally posted by War4ever on 04-02-2001 10:20 PM

Well, I tested this yesterday and if the enemy destroys my size one cap, the spaceship being built is destroyed. Maybe this trick works when you haven't started building your space ship.

But the "disbanding your cap"-trick will surely always work!

Old April 4, 2001, 07:00   #7
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

I misread Warz post - I have always understood the trick was to get your capital destroyed after launch -- I have however, never put this to the trial...

------------------
Scouse Git[1] -- git1@scousers.net

"Staring at your screen in horror and disbelief when you open a saved game is one of the fun things of a succession game " - Hueij
- Paul Craven
Old April 6, 2001, 14:36   #8
Blaupanzer
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 19:55
Sounds like you could just sell your palace and solve the problem, before or after launch. If you have no capitol, it can't be captured. What am I missing?
Old April 6, 2001, 15:40   #9
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

the minor problem that you are not allowed to sell your palace! - Try it!

------------------
Scouse Git[1] -- git1@scousers.net

- Paul Craven
Old April 6, 2001, 15:45   #10
Marko Polo

You can't sell your palace in Civ2. In Civ1 is was possible.

Old April 6, 2001, 18:04   #11
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 18:55
In the nintendo version that was the biggest cheat. Sell the palace for gold, the next city that you built would come with a FREE palace. I remember having whole fields of settlers that would settle/sell palace/ disband. You could sell 20-30 palaces a turn and generate thousands and thousands of dollars.

RAH

Old April 6, 2001, 20:14   #12
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:55
you played civ on the super nintendo must have been desperate Rah