Old March 25, 2001, 22:22   #1
Grandpa Troll
supporter
PolyCast TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Immortal Factotum

Local Time: 19:55
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Trying to prepare for CIV3..advice please!
It has been two years since I played Civ2...I have been involved with CTP:1 & 2..

Is city Radius a problem..or can you build real close in civ2?

What terrain is best..grassland?..Plains?..Forest? to build upon?

I see by reading posts I need lots of practice before trying a MP game..but will try to get back in saddle soon!

Thanks for any/all help!

BTW I am playing Civ2 MPGold Edition.

Yours in Civin

Troll

------------------
Hebrews 11:1

Now Faith is the substance of things hoped for and things unseen
Old March 26, 2001, 07:01   #2
East Street Trader
Prince

Local Time: 23:55
You can build real close. I'd bet the model in Civ3 will turn out to be the SMAC approach though.

Siting a city on woods, hills or mountains will slow down growth in that city and also cut down its contribution to research and taxes (unless its rivered woodland).

What you get back, though, is the defence bonus of the terrain. So despite lower productivity founding on that sort of terrain may be good on frontiers where the neighbour is a threat or where you have reason to fear barbarian attack. Some respected players incline to siting coastal cities on good defensive terrain because of the vulnerability of such cities to attack from the sea.

I sometimes build on woodland and later (when defence may no longer be a consideration) use a settler/engineer to clear the woods and change the city's home square to grassland/plains.

If you decide to build on hills then starting one or two settler/engineer/s to build a mine and then founding before he/they complete the job will increase the productivity of the home square. (Some regard this as a cheat).

As between grassland/plains it is preferable to site cities (other considerations allowing) on grassland with no shield or, early on, on plains. That is because the home square automatically gets one shield if the terrain would otherwise provide none and gets the immediate benefit of irrigation and a road (plus later a bridge, railway and farmland).

Siting on rivered woods gives the defence bonuses of both the woods and the river and, despite still suffering the slower rate of early growth, does give you a very productive home square (two shields plus one food and one arrow). As soon as you get Bridgebuilding there is another arrow for the bridge and as soon as you get Railroad there is a third shield.

Siting on specials can be good. You get one food on squares which otherwise don't produce any and a rivered silk or rivered pheasant gets the trade arrow for the river (plus later the extra arrow for a bridge plus an extra arrow for representative gov.t, for celebrating in Monarchy or from building the Collosus).

I suspect that all this will be different in Civ3. It will surprise me if terrain does not influence the commodities producd in the city and that would change city siting considerations quite a bit.

[This message has been edited by East Street Trader (edited March 26, 2001).]
Old March 26, 2001, 09:14   #3
La Fayette
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 00:55
Local Date: October 31, 2010
quote:

Originally posted by East Street Trader on 03-26-2001 06:01 AM

I suspect that all this will be different in Civ3. It will surprise me if terrain does not influence the commodities producd in the city and that would change city siting considerations quite a bit.

[This message has been edited by East Street Trader (edited March 26, 2001).]

Let us hope Civ3 is going to be at least a bit more than slightly different from Civ2.
(I would enjoy some kind of New Age ).

------------------
aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental
Old March 27, 2001, 01:44   #4
Edward
Warlord

Local Time: 18:55
East Street Trader makes some great points, especially about founding on "non-flat" squares.

More specifically on the city radius issue: In Civ2 you cannot found a new city adjacent to an existing city (not even diagonally adjacent). Otherwise there are no rules prohibiting you from founding a new city on any free land space. (For example: As long as the new city isn't adjacent to an existing city, you are allowed to found a new city in the city radius of an existing city. ICSers often do this, putting their cities quite close together.)

A word of warning - if you have a peace treaty with an opponent, he can request you remove your troops from any squares in his cities' radii - even if they're also in the radius of one of your cities and even if the square in question is closer to your city. You can do the same to him.

Concerning Civ3: All I want for Christmas is a smarter AI.
Old March 27, 2001, 07:52   #5
Marko Polo

quote:

Originally posted by East Street Trader on 03-26-2001 06:01 AM
Siting on rivered woods gives the defence bonuses of both the woods and the river and, despite still suffering the slower rate of early growth, does give you a very productive home square (two shields plus one food and one arrow). As soon as you get Bridgebuilding there is another arrow for the bridge..

Just a slight correction: when you build on a river you get automatically roads (read bridge) on the city square independently of bridge building advance. This is useful if you pursue for 'three arrows' trick: two arrows from city square + one more from another river tile will yield you two science beakers and one gold coin, effectively doubling your early sciense rate! There are threads about this technique if you are willing to search.

Old March 27, 2001, 14:25   #6
Everyman
Civilization II Multiplayer
Chieftain

Judging from the sample graphics at the Firaxis site, it would seem that the best way to prepare for Civ 3 is to upgrade your computer to a P3 or better or you may not be able to play at all. I'm crossing my fingers that the system requirements will be modest.
Old March 30, 2001, 09:17   #7
Grandpa Troll
supporter
PolyCast TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Immortal Factotum

I am running an Athlon 700 256 RAM NVIDIA GeForce 256 32 Bit Graphics Card..so I should be ok..for now...(Drooling at the TNT and Athlon 1333's)

For now...

Yours in Civin

Troll

------------------
Revelation 3:20
Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears and listens to and heeds MY voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will eat with him, and he [will eat] with Me.
Old April 5, 2001, 10:49   #8
Blaupanzer
lifer
Emperor

Read the article in the latest Computer Gaming World (CGW) for Firaxis' take on the new Civ III. Sid and his team are thinking about adding a cultural dimension, adding leaders, changing diplomacy and trade, keeping cities on the main map (no separate screen) and changing the victory conditions. New wonders, units, etc were expected, but the rest sounds very interesting indeed.
Old April 6, 2001, 10:16   #9
La Fayette
King

quote:

Originally posted by Marko Polo on 03-27-2001 06:52 AM
This is useful if you pursue for 'three arrows' trick: two arrows from city square + one more from another river tile will yield you two science beakers and one gold coin, effectively doubling your early sciense rate! There are threads about this technique if you are willing to search.

Try this (url)www.apolyton.net/forums/Forum3/HTML/001555.html(/url)
(IIRC it was my first post on this forum)
Old April 6, 2001, 10:21   #10
La Fayette
King

Could anyone tell me why this hyperlink doesn't work (though I tried to follow exactly what is written in the FAQ)?
Old April 6, 2001, 10:47   #11
Carolus Rex
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 01:55
I think it should be "[" and "]" instead of "(" and ")"...

Carolus
Old April 6, 2001, 16:01   #12
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

ubb code ---

there are two alternatives ...
the easiest is simply to write http://www.apolyton.net/forums/Forum3/HTML/001555.html
which - as you can see automatically becomes a link or ...
{url=http://www.apolyton.net/forums/Forum3/HTML/001555.html}this thread{/url}
except use square brackets "[" & "]" where I have used curly thus ...
this thread -- use the 'edit' command above to see this ...

[/tutorial]

------------------
Scouse Git[1] -- git1@scousers.net

"Staring at your screen in horror and disbelief when you open a saved game is one of the fun things of a succession game " - Hueij
"The Great Library must be built!"
"A short cut has to be challenging,
were it not so it would be 'the way'."
- Paul Craven
Old April 9, 2001, 09:34   #13
La Fayette
King

May the mighty Lord of the Rings help me (since I'm not yet accustomed to be a prince)
(URL=http://www.apolyton.net/forums/Forum3/HTML/001555.html)this thread(/URL)
[This message has been edited by La Fayette (edited April 09, 2001).]
Old April 9, 2001, 09:50   #14
La Fayette
King

Thank you to the kings of Sweden and England.
It seems that my bl** french keyboard doesn't offer those square brackets and that is why even the mighty Lord of the Rings can't help the new prince.
Fed up. I check that when back from 'vac'. Bye for now.

------------------
aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental