Old September 10, 2001, 16:42   #1
aebbeka
Civilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEM
King

Local Time: 07:17
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Best Buy Ad
Did anyone notice that in the Best Buy ad it says Civ3 will be available Nov 1st?

Are they just saying this to cover their butts in case they don't get the game right away, or has it been pushed back?

Also, is the $10 Civ3 Pre-Order worth getting at Best Buy?
Old September 10, 2001, 16:53   #2
SerapisIV
King

Local Time: 08:17
I'm betting that they're covering their butt. Also, my buddy is a tech manager in a NY sotre and he says that Best Buy is a little slow getting new releases. Couldn't say why though. Doesn't make sense to me, they must have more distribution then most computer stores. The online companies must have deals with publishers so they can get pre-orders first. Otherwise, I'd just as well hit the local computer store then online buy, where I pay extra for shipping and have to wait a few days.
Old September 10, 2001, 16:58   #3
down th' pub
Warlord

Local Time: 13:17
November 1st is only 2 days after October 30th, the date given in several sources, I don't really consider this a real delay.
Old September 10, 2001, 17:04   #4
SerapisIV
King

Where did Oct. 30 come from? I've only heard Oct. 17
Old September 10, 2001, 17:18   #5
java4me
Warlord

Local Time: 05:17
Quote:
Originally posted by SerapisIV
Where did Oct. 30 come from? I've only heard Oct. 17
EB and amazon.com have moved their dates back to Oct. 30, it use to be Oct. 16 for EB, and amazon.com. It is also the same for Chips and Bits!!!
Old September 10, 2001, 17:22   #6
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 13:17
You know, it could be that they moved it back to the 30th because that is the end of the month(it takes a day to ship, so the 30th would mean you get it on the 31st... usually), and they know it's due in october. So they can only move it forward from there.
Old September 10, 2001, 18:31   #7
TechWins
King

Local Time: 06:17
Usually Best Buy is very reliable in receiving games on time. That's where I always buy my games. Plus they usually have pretty fair prices.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old September 10, 2001, 18:58   #8
Tyranthraxus
Settler

Gonegold.com lists Civ3 as October 17th. They are the most reliable site for release dates.
Old September 10, 2001, 21:29   #9
Shiva
Prince

Local Time: 07:17
My best buy has those damn pre-order boxes on the shelves for Civ3. I about fell over when I saw it till I got up close.
Old September 11, 2001, 08:22   #10
Stuie
King

Local Time: 09:17
I've never known a Best Buy to get a game until about two weeks after the initial release. Their distribution system cannot handle anything quicker than that.

Now, with a release date of 10/16, I can see Best Buys getting the game by November first, and this makes sense when you take into account that the ad copy was probably printed prior to the release being moved from 10/16 to 10/30. Now that the release is 10/30, I have a feeling that Best Buys won't be seeing the game until mid-November.

As for gonegold.com being reliable, my experience has been that ebworld.com is usually more accurate (they are selling the game, after all).
Old September 11, 2001, 15:02   #11
Tyranthraxus
Settler

I just went and got the preorder package from Best Buy.
On the box, it states that Best Buy will have the game on OCtober 18th.

They advertized the game in the newspaper as coming out on November 1st. I believe this date to be the second shipment of the game that they'll recieve.

I also believe that all or most of the first shipment will be sold through this preorder program.

I just came from Best Buy. It didn't look like they had very many left.

By the way, the Making of Video seems to be the same one packaged in the limited edition. This video is free in the preorder package. Call it an appetizer...

The video itself is about seven and a half minutes long. IT looks pretty good full screen. There is a lot of coverage of actual gameplay, and much of it plays out like a combination Movie trailer/commercial. After watching this video, you will be obsessed with getting this game.

I only watch the video once so far. As far as I can tell, there is no mention of multiplayer. But they HAVE been playing the game since day one.

I'll post my video impressions later...