Old April 18, 2001, 13:23   #1
Mixam
Warlord

Local Time: 23:56
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Space ship in one turn
Until recently I never thought building a spaceship in one turn was possible without buying most of the parts. This is because most of my cities don't have 80+ production to take care of the structurals or other parts which are even more shields.

In a lot of the logs i have read the people playing completed thier spaceships in one turn. It seems to be common knowlege how to do this but as i didn't know and haven't yet seen a string on this i figured I would write about it.

The trick as I see it is to build lots of food caravans b4 you get your techs for all your space ship parts and place a few in each city depending on their production. If the city has 80+ producion you won't need one if it is building structurals but for components and modules you will likely need a couple no matter which city is building them. I use food caravans because hopefully you already have 3 trade routes set up in each city and no supplied commodity left to build. If you have a commodity left make another trade route with it.

The reason for caravans is that you can use all the shields you put into a caravan into a wonder. You can switch between a wonder and a space ship part without losing any shields so as long as there is a wonder that hasn't been built you can use all the sheilds from a caravan towards a space ship part.

I don't tend to build oracle as i prefer JSB Cathedral. Luckily Theology is needed to build JSB and it cancels the effect of the Oracle. So if i get theology b4 the AI starts building the Oracle, which i usually can, they don't build it. This guarantees I will be able to use this strategy. However if they do build Oracle I focus on stopping the AI from building Manhatten if i can. I don't want them to build it anyways as i hate being nuked but this gives me more incentive.

Ok I'm rambling...

So as soon as i have all the advances needed to build my spaceship and enough food caravans to build my spaceship in one turn I build the Apollo program. I usually also have some extra food caravans to build AP in one turn too (another benefit of this method).

Anyways the reason I like to use this method is that the AI all seems to gang up on you once you have the Apollo Program and start building a space ship. This way I can basically avoid all the years of them ganging up on me while i build my spaceship and I get to AC sooner. Unfortunately once you launch they will still gang up on you regardless (or at least they do it to me)

Anyway that's my 2¢ Hope it helps. It has really improved my game.
Old April 18, 2001, 14:54   #2
Gastrifitis
Chieftain

I don't think most people have cities with 80+ production; you'd have to use a lot of hills in every city. I believe they just amass lots of money and buy the spaceship parts. Usually, I just make sure I'm well defended before I start building the thing.
Old April 18, 2001, 19:01   #3
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 15:56
You can set the desired # of cities building a wonder.Usually Manhatten or Apollo but could be something much earlier.Then when the time is right change them all to the different parts.Even a 5 sheild city will build a part.You do this in ICS as its alot less work than the caravan thing.
I think you'll always need to buy here and there.Way too much work to calculate it all out.
Old April 18, 2001, 23:03   #4
Archangel MasterBob

I've done it in like 6 or 7, its possible but you'd had to have alot of cash on hand and Modules cost 320 shields not 80, don't think you can go that hide without editing the terran(which is cheating by the ways).

------------------
Join me in World Conquest

Check out Arcade Portal

Message from an Archangel: Do not try seek perfection for perfection is the most imperfect thing that ever existed.

Old April 18, 2001, 23:16   #5
Mixam
Warlord

Ok so i musta incorrectly phrased some people are not understanding. You do not need 80+ sheild production for this to work. If you do however you can build a structural in that city in one turn. Yes a module costs 320 shields. Say your city has 20 sheild production which should be easy with a factory and an offshore platform if your city is on a coast. So you have 300 sheilds more to go for a one turn module right?

Thus you need 6 caravans in that city if you don't wan't to spend money. Have production set to a wonder add those 6 caravans to the wonder and change to a module you now have 300 sheild already towards the module. Bang module in one turn without spending any money.

Given you have enough cities and caravans you can build any spaceship in one turn.

This obviously works best if you have already build all the improvements you want in a few cities b4 you research space flight. I am not saying you have to build the spaceship in one turn either to use this strat. I am simply pointing out to people who don't know this that it is possible to build spaceships in one turn. Or you can use this to build them faster if you have some time to build caravans b4 you can build your spaceship. The point is that you don't lose half the sheilds you put into the caravan when switching between a wonder and a spaceship part which i didn't know till recently. I hope this helps someone out there at least.
Old April 19, 2001, 00:06   #6
Xin Yu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Start building a wonder (at least you have Apollo, right?) in a lot of cities. Except one city, change to capitalization after accumulated 80, 160, 320 shields. The last city builds the Apollo wonder then you switch the previous cities from capitalization back to SS parts. No loss of shields.
Old April 19, 2001, 09:11   #7
Mixam
Warlord

Thanks Xin Yu

I forgot that you will always have capitalization since you will have the corporation anyways. Looked at chart and it is a pre requisite of Fusion and ss module. I guess maybe I should memorize my tech path some day.
Old April 19, 2001, 14:04   #8
Mixam
Warlord

Xin Yu: Your knowlege as always amazes me. I will have to try that sometime. I am doing some research on the amount of beakers needed for each advance and when I am done I will send it to you first to make sure i don't overlook anything. I am doing this because one of the links in the Great library is totally wrong and I wish to provide the correct info. Your help will be appreciated.

PS I think I may need a new keyboard b4 i am done this test cause of pushing the enter button so darned much
Old April 19, 2001, 16:30   #9
Paul
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 00:56
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I'm not sure about this, but I believe that in that case your SS parts are still going to be finished the next turn. But it has been a long time since I last lost a wonder race to the AI and I don't normally use this as a tactic, so I may not remember this correctly.
Old April 19, 2001, 16:41   #10
Mixam
Warlord

I don't wanna start a new thread just for this so i will use this older one of mine. Recently I was using the cheat menu to do some testing and i gave the AI all techs. As I got messages saying what they researched i saw plumbing. So i checked what techs they had using Marcos and they had besides the normal ones:
  • Plumbing
  • User Defined Tech A
  • User Defined Tech B
  • User Defined Tech C

Just wondering if anyone knows what Plumbing does?
Old April 20, 2001, 00:50   #11
Xin Yu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

I haven't tested it but I think you can do it the same turn when you build Apollo. When your newest city is about to build the Apollo, change the capitalization cities (they must be built before the Apollo city, and have enough shields accumulated) to Apollo as well. The game will prompt you that Apollo has already been built, and you have a chance to switch to SS parts. Now you launch immediately so nobody can beat you to AC.
Old April 20, 2001, 07:23   #12
East Street Trader
Prince

It doesn't do anything. The empty place is there for scenario builders and they just gave it a name for the heck of it (wouldn't mind betting there's a joke involved).