Old April 12, 2001, 00:46   #1
Adam Smith
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 19:56
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Saved Game Database
Is there any interest in creating a saved games database? Apolyton's current databases include scenarios, which are time or location-specific, or maps, which are the raw material for scenarios or games. IIRC, Paul has saved games for OCC, but I don't recall any general saved game files.

The rough idea would be to pick out a couple of games that you enjoyed playing and might want to share with others. Contributors should post a 4000bc.sav file, along with difficulty level and board size, at a minimum. Contributors might also want to include the other standard map specifications (land vs water, barb activity, age of world, number or identity of civs, etc.). A brief description might also be included (eg, "lots of warfare", "good for first time players", "really difficult Deity game", "HUGE continent", etc.), though this last might remove some of the fun for people who enjoy uncovering dark space.

Any thoughts?

Ming:
If this thread would be better suited to the Community Forum, feel free to move it there.
Old April 12, 2001, 03:08   #2
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 23:56
Good idea!

During the research on starting techs I saved a number of unusual starts, both good and bad.

---------

SG(2)
Old April 12, 2001, 20:50   #3
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 15:56
It would be good for any milestone game so others could easily access the game start for a try
Old April 13, 2001, 05:23   #4
Marko Polo

Great idea! I wholeheartedly support having a saved games database here at Apolyton. It would add the value of this wonderful site even more.

Old April 13, 2001, 13:01   #5
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 01:56
Local Date: October 31, 2010
A very good idea indeed.
I'd be happy to contribute. I have a lot of saved games but all are saved one turn before their final conclusion and I don't have any other saves apart from that final one for every game.
So from now on, I will also save at 4000BC and if any of the maps and games are worthy I'll post them. Shall we post these save games here?
Old April 13, 2001, 13:43   #6
Chris1111
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:56
What about save files from the middle of games? Maybe at an important turning point of your civilization (before beginning of wars, or before new governments,etc). I think it would be interesting to see how others would finish your games win or lose.

I only started doing the above and made scenario's out of them to play against my old empire
[This message has been edited by Chris1111 (edited April 13, 2001).]
Old April 20, 2001, 17:45   #7
Blaupanzer
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 19:56
Like Paiktis, I keep my "just before the end" saves. However, I also keep the first save from these games (usually before 2500 B.C.). Thus, another player could take that start, see how they do, and compare that to my bitter end. :-) Other saves are sometimes kept as well. If someone else wants to do the work of setting up the transfer location and procedure, I would be glad to contribute (all SP, 2.42, deity, 7 civs w/restart, raging, standard, large, random map).