Old September 12, 2001, 21:18   #1
Admiral PJ
PtWDG Lux Invicta
Prince

Local Time: 13:22
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Airports/Stations Magical Transporter properties???
I think airports should be radically changed, and other millitary buildings.
It can't be realistic that you can transport units between airports faster than you can fly a stealth fighter .. some type of air transport unit would be good. A unit would help with the transport combat issue too, rather than just having a random chance of being shot down by planes in the area with a transport, enemy planes would physically shoot down the transport hercules/starlifter plane.
It would be nice to have advances in air transport technology too, starting with small prop cargo planes, to big vehicle transporters to highly mobile and flexible helicopter troop/haulage transports.

In fact Train stations could help the infinite railway speed problem as well, being where you can load /unload the train cargo transport unit.

I'd expect to see a land transport unit as well, such as a troop truck/APC to carry small infantry units quickly to the warfronts.

These ideas would greatly improve the transport logistics side of millitary AND civil simulation in Civ3.. I see civ3 as more a simulation than just an arcade game , so I don't think people should just use gameplay for an excuse not to put in elements that enhance the believablity factor (how realistic) the game is.

What transport and infrastructure features (buildings especially) would you most like civ3 or beyond to have (civ67..) ??

PJ the Tired , Guardian of the Key of Knowledge
Old September 13, 2001, 16:05   #2
Tventano
Warlord

Local Time: 14:22
inverse solution
They are changing the behaviour of fighters and bombers, so that they no longer behave as a fast ground unit. How exactly we do not know yet, but I am curious. I presume it also solves the problem you mention in your post.
Old September 13, 2001, 16:08   #3
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 08:22
I'm going to be like most people on Apolyton.

WAH WAH THE GAME ISN"T ABOUT BELIEVABILITY...

Seriously though, I haven't heard anything on air travel, and as for Aerial Warfare, I know the whole strike mission thing is in and the 12 movement per turn thing is out.
Old September 13, 2001, 18:22   #4
TechWins
King

Local Time: 06:22
I agree that the airport transportation does need to be changed but I don't know to what.

A helicopter transportation unit should be included but it doesn't need to be included as a seperate unit. Include the capability of transporting units with the normal helicopter unit. That way the unit will become more important and there won't be an overload of units. The unit could hold only infantry units (i.e. marines, paratroopers). The amount should be three units.

About my mentioning of paratroopers. If they are to be included once again they should only be able to do their drops out of either an airplane or a helicopter. Having them do paradrops out of a ship is embarrisingly unrealistic.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old September 13, 2001, 19:26   #5
SITS
King

Maybe Firaxis hasn't decided about airports yet so it might all still be up in the air.
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old September 14, 2001, 10:24   #6
Leonidas
King

A more realistic change in these structures would be very welcome.