Old September 13, 2001, 10:05   #1
DATarbell

Thoughts on 'Population Exploitation'
From what we have heard regarding the cost of population points when creating settlers (2) and workers (1), and putting that together with what we have heard regarding capturing enemy cities via culture but having its population remain true to its original nationality--even to the point of revolting--the following strategy comes to mind.

Capture an enemy city and use it as a 'settler-producing' resource. Having captured the city, its population points are relatively free. And by reducing the original nationality (via lost population points due to creating settlers) you have, at the same time, reduced the possibility for revolt. Of course, this assumes that a produced settler will inherit the nationality of the city it is produce by, not that of the city's citizens.

It would also be interesting to see if the nationality of a worker produced the said city would inherit the producing nation's nationality, or would carry the nationality of the citizen who 'left' the city.

Any thoughts?

Old September 13, 2001, 10:45   #2
jsw363
Prince

Local Time: 05:23
Local Date: October 31, 2010
There's already a thread on this topic....
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...996#post455996
Old September 13, 2001, 11:11   #3
DATarbell

jsw363, that's not a thread on this topic! (However hard you have tried to steer it that way!)

Old September 13, 2001, 11:49   #4
Tarquinius
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 14:23
Suppose you as the Chines capture a Greek city with a size of 4. You build a settler so the size is now 2. If a city wants to grow, it either needs a lot of births, or a lot of emigration. The people in this city are still all Greek. But if these people get children, they will become Greek as well, so that doesn't reduce the chance of a rebellion. However if a lot of Chinese people immigrate to the city, then the city becomes "more Chinese". But this takes a lot of time.

So my conclusion is that you cant reduce peoples nationality so easily by just building settlers. Maybe we can build something like a policestation, which will reduce the chance of a rebellion?
Or if you keep a lot of military units in the city, will they prevent a revolt?

Please share your opinions with me!
Old September 13, 2001, 12:29   #5
tishco
Prince

Local Time: 13:23
i think i read somewhere the new citezens of a captured city are your nationality, so over time you have more of your citezens in the city. i also read somewhere about racial cleansing, an atrocity like SMAC nerve staple i think
hope there is atrocities like AC cos that would expand diplomacy even more
civ III:
diplomacy:
Old September 13, 2001, 12:38   #6
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Tarquinius
Suppose you as the Chines capture a Greek city with a size of 4. You build a settler so the size is now 2. If a city wants to grow, it either needs a lot of births, or a lot of emigration. The people in this city are still all Greek. But if these people get children, they will become Greek as well, so that doesn't reduce the chance of a rebellion.
I don´t think this is correct. A quote from civfanatics.com: When a city is conquered by a civ, the citizens in the conquered city will retain their nationality, even as new citizens are born with the nationality of the conquering civ.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old September 13, 2001, 13:05   #7
jsw363
Prince

Local Time: 05:23
Lockstep- Thanks for the quote.

DATarbell-

No the title isn't on this topic, but it was a thread where people discussed this topic. "Population Exploitation" was one aspect brought up in the preview and I am interested in the subject (as are you, obviously) and so I discussed it. I apologize if I seem overly defensive.
I included it here because I wanted to make sure that you had read it before people started discussing it again. And while it IS annoying to see new threads on topics previously discussed, I would be interested in any new information or contributions on the subject.

Last edited by jsw363; September 13, 2001 at 13:14.
Old September 13, 2001, 16:12   #8
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 08:23
I wonder if there is immigration/emigration in civ. I would like to see genocide and such be an option because deep down I'm a dirty dirty atrocity committing bastard.
Old September 13, 2001, 19:19   #9
SITS
King

Local Time: 13:23
The strategy would seem to be reduce the pop down to one by building Settlers/Colonies then allowing the city to grow with your own people minus the original pop point of the previous owners. I suspect that any unit built will be your own and not anybody else's even when the settler/colony plant themselves on the map as that city would immediately become an enemies - which would be silly.
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old September 14, 2001, 12:42   #10
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Would the settlers not be taken from "your" population.

If you (Chinese) have a city of 6 Chinese and 4 Greek, and you build a settler will it take 2 from the Chinese population or 2 from the Greek population?.

SITS, wouldn't an easier strategy just be ploughing Culture into the cities rather than shrinking it? That way you still keep all the production, taxes etc..... Mind you it is reminiscint of raizing a city that an enemy built in an annoying place.